Roof Rack Idea

Did anyone end up tying to mount a roof rack sandwiching the hard top with brackets to the cage? I have done some searching and not found much info. I have installed a few on jks with zero leaks and that style of rack is actually supportive and useful.

I keep bouncing between through hole to the rollbar and just running a Gobi. I can't find a way to do the through-hole mounting that lets me sleep well at night. For now, the project is on a funding hold.

I keep bouncing between through hole to the rollbar and just running a Gobi. I can't find a way to do the through-hole mounting that lets me sleep well at night. For now, the project is on a funding hold.

Frontrunner rack on the JK drills through the roof to mount to the Rollbar. My wife has one on her JK. It worked very well, with no leaks, until I had to remove and re-install and drill out some rusted bolts. They use like a pad of foam around each hole, glued to the roof to help seal.

It is a pain in that you can only ever run the rack with the hard top on, or hardtop off completely....no soft top. But I figure you've thought of that.

nimchc6.jpg

You can see the supports to the rollbar here...uses the JK Softtop mounting holes (which don't exist on the TJ so you'd need to do some drilling)
xE0Gggq.jpg

Yes tied into the cage makes all the difference in the world. I have a LJ with hard top, I also have a soft top but have never put it on. Am I correct in thinking that nobody makes a roof rack for the LJ or TJ for that ties into the cage thru the roof? I have design but don't want to reinvent the wheel either.

I could make plates with no rack brackets to cover the holes if you did want to take the rack on and off. Sealing the holes with some fiberglass resin would not be the end of the world if I want to ditch it later on.

Rusted hardware means they spec'd the wrong stuff. That would be a easy fix.