Rotors

Shane Mckinley

Zipman35
Supporting Member
Why would the previous owner put a drilled rotor on one side and a slotted and drilled rotor on the other side on my Jeep?

I’ve messaged @mrblaine about black pads fitting since I don’t have stock rotors I’m sure they would work as described

Ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

My only guess is that's what they had on hand or extra or got some deal on it. I don't really see how the BMB brakes wouldn't work fine. Maybe not as well, but stil I bet they work better than stock pads with those rotors. Why not go buy new rotors if you are worried?

The Black Magic pads should fit just fine.

As for why you have a slotted and drilled rotor on one side and not on the other, that's probably because someone was cheap. I'll bet one of them cracked or warped, and instead of replacing both, they just replaced one with whatever rotor they could find.

My only guess is that's what they had on hand or extra or got some deal on it. I don't really see how the BMB brakes wouldn't work fine. Maybe not as well, but stil I bet they work better than stock pads with those rotors. Why not go buy new rotors if you are worried?

I’m really not. It was just weird. Obviously they went as far to upgrade so that’s a good thing

Thanks for the info on the BMB pads

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: Chris and Tj04
I’m really not. It was just weird. Obviously they went as far to upgrade so that’s a good thing

Thanks for the info on the BMB pads

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi
How do your rotors look? Have you tried drawing a Y on them with your finger? I've been told that's a good way to test them for wear.

How do your rotors look? Have you tried drawing a Y on them with your finger? I've been told that's a good way to test them for wear.

I have not done that but they seemed fine. I will do so and report back

It’s just seems to me like a lot of pedal to stop so I have been considering pads next

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: Tj04
Do a thread on your BMB pads and let us know how you like them when ya get em. I'm Interested but torn between them and EBC yellow that I've seen Jerry and mrblaine say is almost as good and I think they are cheaper. I'd rather support a memeber by buying BMB pads though any day!

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Do a thread on your BMB pads and let us know how you like them when ya get em. I'm Interested but torn between them and EBC yellow that I've seen Jerry and mrblaine say is almost as good and I think they are cheaper. I'd rather support a memeber by buying BMB pads though any day!

True! I’m all about supporting a member. Every part I have installed has come from members here $250 is steep but the reviews are amazing.

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Nothing for drums but I do see rear conversion kits

I also stumbled across this just now looking for drum options..

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.co...ers-Rotors-99-06-TJ-477-67045-58021-58022.htm

This is just $110 more than the bmb pads alone. It includes two rotors, calipers, and pads for both sides!! That looks like the right way to go there and I could keep my rotors as spares

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

The stock drums on the rear are just fine. The vast majority of your braking on a TJ happens with the front. I just did my drum rears from the backing plate out with all Centric Premium parts. Other than the "e-coating" on the drums there was no discernible change. The coated drums were worth it though, as I hate rust.

I'm with @CodaMan on the slotted and or drilled rotors off road. Not a fan because they seem to pick up crud and corruption leading to accelerated parts wear.

Getting ready to put the full meal deal Centric Premium front kit on. We'll see how they turn out, but I have high expectations.

Reactions: Chris