Rubicon 2006: From tires 30.5 to 33

Andrés Uribe

Hi Friend

I own Rubicon TJ 2006 with Stock tires 30.5 inches (wheel 16) and planning to change to 33 inches tires (and keep the same wheel 16)

Should I buy and install a lift suspension kit 2.5 inches ? Or are there any other easier way like just some kind of additional body supports or similar ?

Thanks for your comments

Andres

I did a 4” lift and wheels are 15x8 with 3.75” of backspacing. I don’t think with 16“ wheels you’ll avoid rubbing. Also don’t think 2.5” lift is high enough if you are off-roading.

@Andrés Uribe
Without the proper amount of lift you will have to add bumpstop to keep the tires from hitting stuff when flexing offroad.
A Body lift will help with clearance but doesn't add suspension travel or articulation like a suspension lift.
33s will also rub when turning.
You will either need to add wheel spacers or adjust the steering stops.

There's lots of ways to do it, so there's tons of threads on this.
https://wranglertjforum.com/google-search/?q=want+33s&tryAnyways=1&h=No+results+found.

What tire size you going? What kind of off roading. Basically 33's that are skinny on a 4.25. back spacing work well on 2.5"- no rubbing but no guarantee on that if you disconnect the sway bars...😉

IMG_3604.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

on my 2006 Rubicon I am running 2.5 Old Man Emu springs, with extended bump stops and adjusted steering stops and do jot have any rubbing with 285/75/16 BFG A/T on the stock rims.

You could try to drive it with 33s and no lift. I made it home on a 2 hour drive from D.C. after buying this. I was lucky. 😬

sahara2 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

I'd go with 4" total lift for 33s though. Zone Offroad 4.25" combo lift with 33s below.

DARK BLUE JEEP.jpg

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper
I have a 2003 rubi with 285 16's. I installed OME 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift. Checked bump stops carefully with two fork lifts. I have and will installing 1 1/4" spydertrax spacers

Thanks all for your comments, really useful.
Thinking on 255/85/16 (Eq to 33 inches), so definitely will try with 2.5 lift and check if neccesary to install that spacers

Reactions: Jamesval035