Rubicon 241 transfer case housing split / cracked

Got my T-Case out today & Jerry and MrBlaine were spot on. Both halves were cracked & front double Cardin front ujoint was toast—although not frozen.
Took it in to C&M Gear, Springfield, MO and they recognized the T-Case immediately. Found a front case in California. Shop guy said the rear case is crossover with a Dodge 241 or 243.
What other upgrades should I request with this rebuild?
Thanks again!

9FA408BC-A567-4125-98B3-B5433E5EA9AD.jpeg

5DEC199A-5C56-48D8-AA81-EC215FD2C5AC.jpeg

May as well do a fresh chain if it's not perfect, and bearings since you are in there, also double check the shift pads and ensure they are in good shape.

Only real upgrade I'm familiar with for this case is the Tera 2 low kit if it interests you at all. It's a fairly stout case as is.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Picking up my rebuilt tcase from the shop Monday. However, I have found a pool of atf that has leaked from the transmission output shaft end. My question is: have I disrupted a seal in the back of the transmission or is there communication between the fluid in the tranny & tcase?

Picking up my rebuilt tcase from the shop Monday. However, I have found a pool of atf that has leaked from the transmission output shaft end. My question is: have I disrupted a seal in the back of the transmission or is there communication between the fluid in the tranny & tcase?
The transmission & tcase don't share their ATF, they are both sealed at both ends. Possibly a bad output shaft seal. Replacing the output shaft seal was easy on my 32RH but I don't know about your 42RLE. I'd google it or look for a Youtube video that covers the 42RLE. I looked for a few minutes but nothing popped up that I noticed.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Middleton
Just checked my alldata account, fairly simple from what I can see provided its called a ADAPTER HOUSING SEAL

REMOVAL
Remove the transfer case.
Using a screw mounted in a slide hammer, remove the adapter housing seal.

INSTALLATION
Install a new adapter housing seal with Tool Handle C-4171 and Installer C-3860-A.
Install the transfer case.

Fairly basic.

Most likely all that has happened is the excess fluid above the lower level of the seal lip has run out and there is no need to replace the seal. Just clean up what is there so you can tell if there is an actual leak once the T-case is installed. The input shaft of the case works to close up the fluid connection between the two by engaging in the seal at the back of the trans. But yes, you have disrupted the seal by removing the t-case and disrupted is not the same as damaged. We do not as a matter of course replace the seal in the trans when we pull cases. There is a weep hole that will tell you when you have a problem.

Most likely all that has happened is the excess fluid above the lower level of the seal lip has run out and there is no need to replace the seal. Just clean up what is there so you can tell if there is an actual leak once the T-case is installed. The input shaft of the case works to close up the fluid connection between the two by engaging in the seal at the back of the trans. But yes, you have disrupted the seal by removing the t-case and disrupted is not the same as damaged. We do not as a matter of course replace the seal in the trans when we pull cases. There is a weep hole that will tell you when you have a problem.

Took a look at my tcase/transmission union tonight. The transfer case input housing mates with the seal in the back of transmission. Thus, with the tcase out of the Jeep, nothing for the seal to seal. This is why my transmission was dribbling ATF. Thanks again, you guys for leading me thru this adventure.

$800 later, new Tcase housing front & rear, new bearings & chain. FYI, the Dodge 241-243 rear housing is no longer available except as used/salvage part ($25.00 on my rebuild). Front housing was $350 out of California.
Dropped drive shafts off & need new Carden joint welded onto front DS. $$$

3167031E-D99B-4D46-9FDC-595585296026.jpeg

1D1ED263-26A8-4DA4-8594-389BBC61769A.jpeg

BE6F70DA-6492-439B-9985-45744A240F98.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Not too shabby at all. A buddy of mine bought a rubi and inside was the bill for a new tcase. $2500cdn for the part... Plus dealer labor.

Reactions: John Middleton
Hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread but I have the same issue (see pictures). Actually it might not be that entire front piece....? I was curious, were there gaskets on either end of that piece? Or just those seals you mentioned

I have the NP241OR mated to an NSG370 6 speed FYI