Rubicon axle leak

SOOOO I was replacing ball joints in the front and in doing so I pulled the hub/axel out on the drivers side...Upon putting it back in, I pushed the seal to were it was sitting horizontally and had diff leaking at the hub......borrowed the tool to pull old and seat new seal, bought lube locker gasket and new seals and did both sides...pulling the diff out was not hard just make sure when you pull everything out sit it on cardboard or towel rags whatever in the exact order they go back in...there are shims etc on each side that need to go back exactly... anyway did it all for less than 50 bucks and 2 hours...
This thread is about the rear axle

One shaft is slightly longer than the other, so they’re not interchangeable
I just installed mine over the weekend and did not take notice to one side being longer than the other? Which side of the jeep gets the longer shaft? Worried i don't have mine installed correctly. I've never seen this mentioned before

I just installed mine over the weekend and did not take notice to one side being longer than the other? Which side of the jeep gets the longer shaft? Worried i don't have mine installed correctly. I've never seen this mentioned before
Passenger side gets the longer shaft. One way note this is to use the front rear as a guide. There's a long and short side. The rear lines up the same way. FWIW, the difference in the rear shaft length is small. However, if you stand them side by side, you'll see it immediately.

Passenger side gets the longer shaft. One way note this is to use the front rear as a guide. There's a long and short side. The rear lines up the same way. FWIW, the difference in the rear shaft length is small. However, if you stand them side by side, you'll see it immediately.
Will it harm anything if they are in the opposite sides? I’m just dreading having to pull one and risk the seal leaking after reinstalling them. Do you know if revolution marks there axles shafts in anyway to tell without have to remove them?

Will it harm anything if they are in the opposite sides? I’m just dreading having to pull one and risk the seal leaking after reinstalling them. Do you know if revolution marks there axles shafts in anyway to tell without have to remove them?
The nagging issue will be one of spline engagement. I've known people who have mistakenly reversed them with no ill effects. However, I couldn't let that. If it were me, I'd go back and pull them. In the grand scheme, this really isn't a difficult job, just time consuming.

The nagging issue will be one of spline engagement. I've known people who have mistakenly reversed them with no ill effects. However, I couldn't let that. If it were me, I'd go back and pull them. In the grand scheme, this really isn't a difficult job, just time consuming.
Yeah it’s definitely not bad at all, I just worry about whether the seal will still be good. I will have to pull one of them sometime this week to see if I have them backwards and just pray that the seal holds up on reinstall.

Reactions: Irun