Rubicon Locker Repair

nwedgar

My locker pumps quit working, as in won't turn on at all, and after some online searches I decided that I'd at least try to take it apart to figure it out. I found a thread on the Rubicon Owners Forum that said to remove the square metal plate on the bottom (you basically pry 3 sides loose and then pop it off) and it would reveal the circuit board.

When I did that I noticed that one of the circuits was broken (see the copper colored foil in the pic). I used some 18g wire to solder in a jumper between the two points and got it to work again. I looked at my other pump and it was the same thing...both fixed now. Easy fix and only cost me about $25 for a low end soldering iron at HD.

IMG_1156_LI.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

Thanks. I am no electronic expert at all, but I am a Jeeper so I stay broke and need cheap easy and good fixes from time to time. This one worked in my favor.

Reactions: jjvw
Do you have something going on that is causing that to burn up? The heavy wire works, but the thin wire may have been acting like a fuse.

Or it could be a simple manufacturing defect that pops up after aging for several decades.

Reactions: Long Rider
Not to my knowledge, and the new (used) pumps I have to replace them haven’t failed. This happened to one pump first and the other was later. Thought it might be a standard failure point. The pumps don’t run constantly so I don’t know what harm it would do, I doubt they’d catch fire, and it is on a fused circuit. They serve as backup pumps now anyway, Since I already have replacements.

Reactions: InOmaha
My locker pumps quit working, as in won't turn on at all, and after some online searches I decided that I'd at least try to take it apart to figure it out. I found a thread on the Rubicon Owners Forum that said to remove the square metal plate on the bottom (you basically pry 3 sides loose and then pop it off) and it would reveal the circuit board.

When I did that I noticed that one of the circuits was broken (see the copper colored foil in the pic). I used some 18g wire to solder in a jumper between the two points and got it to work again. I looked at my other pump and it was the same thing...both fixed now. Easy fix and only cost me about $25 for a low end soldering iron at HD.

View attachment 121692

View attachment 121693
Wow, nice work, thanks for sharing!