Rubicon lockers quit working

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
A few months back the lockers on my Rubi quit working. We checked the compressors and dash switch plus looked for anything obviously wrong, all was fine, but no lockers. Then the 4WD dash light was acting up. You'd shift out of 4WD and you were definitely in 2WD but the dash was on/off intermittent.

Today, the rear locker is engaged on its own in 2WD. Shifting, 4WD/2WD, play with the dash switch, no change. The rear locker is locked. Pretty much undrivable.

Any ideas? I'm thinking somehow connected to the 4WD shift lever etc.

It should. That is certainly a means for determining whether the issue is most likely in the wiring/compressor or inside the pumpkin.
That was the thought. Isolate the problem with some certainty.

If the pumps are pumping when disconnected from the axles, the problem shouldn't be in the axles.

Pretty sure the compressor, lockers are all fine and the problem is at the Transfer Case Position Sensor. I'm scheduled for a new clutch on Thursday so will likely find a way to fix/bypass the locker issue.

Was hoping to find someone with a similar experience.

So pulled the air supply line at the rear dif. And yes, air pressure there, compressor running, even in 2WD. So I pulled the relay at the fuse block. Unlocked and driveable again.

The dash switch has no effect. Maybe the problem is in that switch but I would think the problem would also be related to the 4WD indicator light on the dash flickering after shifting into 2WD.

The rear locker indicator light on the dash seems to be functioning correctly.

There is another thread under transfer case shift linkage with a similar issue and a good diagram....my guess is a locker relay is allowing the pump to power up, but the schematics Darryl posted may help.