California Rubicon Run Summer 2024

What weekend and days work best for you. Pick a weekend and days of the week you would like.

• Weekend of July 6-7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend of July 20-21

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Weekend of August 10-11

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Thursday-Saturday

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Friday-Sunday

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Saturday-Monday

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

U8MYDZT

Wrong guy to follow
Supporting Member
Alright fellas it's time to get back in the action!! Let's use this thread to plan out a Rubicon trip!!

This will be a 3 day adventure including a full day to chill at camp to enjoy the fresh air.

I don't expect to go on any go arounds so be ready to take on the hard stuff.

Chime in if you want to go and I will add you to the list.

RUN INFORMATION:
July 19-21

Meet up at Loon Lake about 8:30am getting on the trail about 9am

Minimum Requirements:
33in Tires
1 Locker
Recovery Points Front and Rear
(These are here so we don't spend the whole time pulling people out)

Trip Details:

We will meet on The Loon Lake side at 9am (we will take a poll for the exact days)

Day 1: Loon Lake to campsite (we will take a poll for the location)

Day 2: chill at camp to enjoy the mountain air

Day 3: Campsite to the trail end (a celebration beer at a local bar in Tahoe for those that want to join)

Radio:
GMRS

Note:
I will be staying the night before the trip and night after in a local hotel. I will share the details once I know where I will be staying.

Let's have some fun and get a badge of honor to brag about!

List of people interested.
Going:
@U8MYDZT
@XJRAIDERS
@Woodrow
@BC Moto +1
@4Lo4Sho

Pending:
@macleanflood
@Wildman
@CMBD
@Fish Family JKU
@danwink

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Lo4Sho and CMBD
We have a lot of work to get done on my buddies XJ but this deadline will give us some motivation. Only things really left are the bumpers, frame stiffeners and rock sliders so we shouldn't have a problem finishing by July.

Reactions: Woodrow
I'm interested.

Our rig is built and in good shape. Hoping to get some seat-time here SoCal before the summer to get more comfy with it. Need to grab a trailer, and carve out the time, is all.

Reactions: Woodrow and U8MYDZT
I just have to replace a steering link which ill do this weekend then I have to swap out a gas tank then I should be good to go. I hope I can get a barnes engine skid before this trip as they have been out of stock for a while. Then a usual nut and bolt check before heading out.

Reactions: U8MYDZT and 4Lo4Sho
Our rig has been twice with the previous owner, so I’m confident in the build but we’ll be getting a good once-over by a local jeep shop before a trip to Big Bear and a tough local trail here in San Diego to familiarize ourselves.

IMG_9030.jpeg

IMG_7381.jpeg

IMG_7364.jpeg

Reactions: U8MYDZT and BC Moto
I just have to replace a steering link which ill do this weekend then I have to swap out a gas tank then I should be good to go. I hope I can get a barnes engine skid before this trip as they have been out of stock for a while. Then a usual nut and bolt check before heading out.

An engine skid is definitely needed for the Rubicon!!

Reactions: 4Lo4Sho
OH, and no promises, but I might have a premier power welder installed by then. :) It's on my wish list, but we'll see if the piggy bank will allow it. I'm a good arc welder with a background in fab work on my trailer, previous jeeps and definitely welcome the ability to make trailside smoothies with the 110v outlet. :D

I went with my current setup but when we go back I hope to have one

And you kept your oil in the pan? Lol My engine skid took a beating on the Rubicon when I went through. Have you looked at the UCF skids? They are reasonably priced and tough as hell.

OH, and no promises, but I might have a premier power welder installed by then. :) It's on my wish list, but we'll see if the piggy bank will allow it. I'm a good arc welder with a background in fab work on my trailer, previous jeeps and definitely welcome the ability to make trailside smoothies with the 110v outlet. :D

I have some mig and stick experience. I did the truss on mine and my buddies HP30s. I have been wanting to harvest my old Lincoln tombstone for its cables so I can make a trail welder.

20230509_195609.jpg

20230618_170514.jpg

Reactions: BC Moto and 4Lo4Sho
We should be good with welding experience, I do tig welding and mig but wouldnt mind trying some stick welding

I'm interested, but would likely be the smallest TJ in the group. Normally, I'd say September, but weather can be sketch. We did a September run in 2019.
20190916_113538.jpg

20190916_122916.jpg

Reactions: U8MYDZT
I'm interested, but would likely be the smallest TJ in the group. Normally, I'd say September, but weather can be sketch. We did a September run in 2019.
View attachment 503268

View attachment 503269

I ran it with 33s and only TruTrac's front and back. Didn't even need to pull rope. Plus there will be an XJ with us so you wont look bad at all. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: bobthetj03