Rugged Ridge Spartacus or MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit?

It took about 70k miles for my old swing out carrier with an unsupported 33" tire to shake itself apart from fatigue. Time may be on their side considering the realities of how much Jeeps get bought and sold and rebuilt.
Duroflex comes to mind. And there is always the element that when money is spent, the lens changes for the buyer and the product is great - even if it isn’t.

If I might offer a few points of difference between the MORryde/Exogate and the Rugged Ridge...

1. The Rugged Ridge reinforcement stops at the right side of the spare mount, which leaves half of the weight of the spare still supported by the unreinforced sheet metal of the tailgate. This isn't a problem with vertical stress, but when the Jeep hits a bump and the leverage of the spare pulls outward on the tailgate this can stress the tailgate sheet metal at the left side of the spare carrier and can lead to cracks in the tailgate. The dashed line shows where the RR reinforcement stops.

RuggedRidge_zpsedduy3bk.jpg

The MORryde/Exogate reinforcement extends all the way to the driver's side of the spare carrier, putting all of the weight of the spare on the reinforcement.

2. The MORryde/Exogate has zerk fittings for greasing the hinge bushings, and the hinge bushings are bronze and replaceable so in the unlikely event that the bushings wear, they can be replaced - they're hardware store items. I don't believe the RR hinge has any provision for greasing or rebuilding.

3. I don't believe the RR product has a provision for mounting accessories on it, such as a HiLift carrier. Accessories are available for the MORryde/Exogate, and the hinges are designed for easy mounting of custom accessories - I posted a few weeks ago about this jerry can carrier that's made from two off-the-shelf (pun intended) shelf brackets and a jerry can tray.

ExogateJerry3_zpsan6my4xj.jpg

4. The MORryde/Exogate is made in the USA - Elkhart, Indiana.

EDIT: 5. The MORryde/Exogate comes with a roll-bar tie-in bracket to relieve stress on the tub at the top hinge; the RR product does not appear to include any bracket or reinforcement for the tub at that point.

Last edited:
Here is the link to Rusty's: https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...ys-tire-carrier-1997-2006-tj-lj-wrangler.html

KEY FEATURES:

• Made in the USA
  • Made of 3/16-inch and 1/4-inch steel
  • Included inner fender braces and additional support
  • Will carry up to a 40-inch tire
  • One hand operation
  • Adjustable tire position works with most aftermarket bumpers and wheel offsets
  • Three different lug patterns available
  • E-coated and Powdercoated Satin Black
Mine will hold my 35 and two mountain bikes and still open/close smoothly with one hand.

I did look at the Exo. It looked well built, but did not seem robust enough to carry my tire and two bikes, which was a requirement.

The Rusty's does have bolts prepositioned to accommodate accessories that are planned. I know that the JK version of this already has some accessories. I would just make my own and take advantage of the mounting locations provided.

IMG_4096.jpg
IMG_4097.jpg

The only complaints that I have about the Rusty's is that is it expensive! And the tether that limits the swing of the gate sometimes gets in the way as you close it. Seems to only happen if you have the gate full open, so I have gotten in the habit of trying to only have the gate 95% open.

And the tether that limits the swing of the gate sometimes gets in the way as you close it. Seems to only happen if you have the gate full open, so I have gotten in the habit of trying to only have the gate 95% open.

That is the difference between knowledge and understanding. He can copy something that he never had the original thought for or of. That is knowledge. Understanding is when you design it so you don't close the gate on a tether or put another way, you know how to make and design a hinge that doesn't need a fucking tether.

Is the Rusty's carrier a copy of some other brand? I thought I did some pretty good in-depth research and did not see another similar product that would fill my needs. I very well could have missed one though.

All I can say is that outside of the theory and after a year and a half of actual use I'm very happy with the RR version with a 33" tyre attached. I see none of the issues stated above. The hinge set is very solid and combined with the upgraded carrier is far superior to the OEM hinge and carrier.

It's a valid option to the other brands and whilst I'm not a RR fan, I feel this fits my requirement for a tyre carrier. That is to carry a tyre, I have no need for other attachments.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARawls88
It's good, can't fault it with a 33 on it. I keep checking for issues but in use (not just in theory) I haven't experienced any. You do need the hinge and carrier though as they do sell the carrier by itself.
What did you do with the tire stubber, top right. Doesn't seem like there is a way to use it with the Spartacus.

What did you do with the tire stubber, top right. Doesn't seem like there is a way to use it with the Spartacus.

No there isn't, the upgraded hinge appears to make the whole assembly a lot more robust. I've not had any issues with it and whilst I keep looking for issues with the tailgate so far at least, there isn't any.

No there isn't, the upgraded hinge appears to make the whole assembly a lot more robust. I've not had any issues with it and whilst I keep looking for issues with the tailgate so far at least, there isn't any.
The lack of snubbers is going to catch up sooner or later.

You obviously have a load of experience with this product then.

Nope. But I do have a decent sense of how things work. And I did once have a tire carrier break apart on me from a similar lack of support. It took about 60k miles.

Here is response I received from MORryde when I reached out to ask re capacity for the system.

Hey Sidney,

We don’t have a max weight capacity on our hinges or reinforcement as the first thing to wear out would actually be the tub of the jeep, not our parts. With that said, we do recommend a 33” tire or smaller due to the spacing of the tire and the bumper. With our supplied offset brackets, you can go up to a 35” spare. If you go bigger than a 35” tire, you would have to purchase an angled spare tire carrier to increase your clearance.Hope that is helpful!

Let me know if you are interested in ordering direct through MORryde to save a few bucks. We are selling direct during COVID with some dealers being out of stock or shut down.

Austin Conrad
Aftermarket Sales & Marketing

MORryde International, Inc.
1966 Sterling Avenue
Elkhart, Indiana 46516

[email protected]
I know this thread is old but is this your contact info at MORryde and are you still selling direct? I’m interested in the reinforcement kit. Thanks again

I know this thread is old but is this your contact info at MORryde and are you still selling direct? I’m interested in the reinforcement kit. Thanks again
The info in that post was for MORryde customer service who responded when I reached out to ask questions. I would suggest reaching out to him to see if they still offer best price. I saw post in different thread (maybe what did you do TJ today) where someone picked it up for what looked like great price.