Running Front And Rear ARB Using Non-ARB Compressor

WHBNM

TOOL Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Think I'm ok running front and rear arb's and tank using this Quick Air 3 compressor?

The compressor is plumbed to a Viair 1 gal tank installed by p.o. it has been powering the front locker and external air chuck since I have owned. I know that the tank is essentially a manifold and serves no real storage purpose.

Think I can I tee right off the compressor with a line running to the tank to continue oba from tank and also piggyback two arb solenoids right off the other side of the tee to power both lockers?
I will eventually kick down for an arb compressor but have exhausted funds for now and have a few more things to dial in pre - Moab! Anyone successfully running something similar?

Looking for short term but serviceable. Thanks
20210317_213231.jpg

Call ARB, I know if the pressure is too much you will blow out the o-rings. My four rigs with ARB’s always ran their full system, and they worked flawlessly.

Reactions: WHBNM
I run a York compressor and use it to activate my ARB lockers. I used this manifold from Power Tanks to connect them to my air supply. You also need a regulator to limit the PSI to no more than 85-95 psi.

https://powertank.com/products/power-tank-to-arb-manifold-install-kit
It works great and with a small tank you can activate the lockers a few times before the compressor has to refill it.

A regulator is not required. I have been running them off my York for years with no issue. If the compressor has a pressure switch that cuts off at 150 psi like most do it will be fine. The following is from the arb website:

“The ARB Air Locker will engage at around 70 PSI. However, for faster engagement and disengagement, we recommend an air pressure supply between 100 and 150 PSI.”

A regulator is not required. I have been running them off my York for years with no issue. If the compressor has a pressure switch that cuts off at 150 psi like most do it will be fine. The following is from the arb website:

“The ARB Air Locker will engage at around 70 PSI. However, for faster engagement and disengagement, we recommend an air pressure supply between 100 and 150 PSI.”

That is interesting as I was always told not to go over 95 psi for the ARB.

Be sure to price out the cost of parts, fittings and wire vs the cost of the small ARB compressor. In my case, it was closer than I expected and the ease of install with the compressor quickly made up the difference.

Reactions: WHBNM and Irun

Thank you I was worried about too much pressure as I had always heard to keep @85 - 95 psi.

Reactions: Wildman
Be sure to price out the cost of parts, fittings and wire vs the cost of the small ARB compressor. In my case, it was closer than I expected and the ease of install with the compressor quickly made up the difference.
Thanks. Definitely considering this. Small tight install is attractive.

That is interesting as I was always told not to go over 95 psi for the ARB.
I've heard that too and when I first put in an ARB I was careful to only fill my air tank to around 100 psi. I think this maybe came from the fact that ARB compressors shut off around 95-100 psi. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but there was a forum discussion about this years ago and either an ARB employee came on or someone posted a response to from the company about this. IIRC the company claimed the o-ring seal in the locker is good for several hundred PSI. It was more than the air line rating. I think the weak link was the electric actuator valve that starts to leak at some lower pressure.

Reactions: WHBNM and Wildman

I wonder why they’ve changed their pressure spec. The install manual for mine specs 85-105psi.
Either way, you can run ARBs with what you’ve got. Having that little tank will be helpful.
I recall Viair has a pressure switch that comes on at 85 and shuts off at 105. If that matches the spec for your lockers then you won’t need a regulator, just use that switch.

46184D85-802B-4646-8BD3-2A806CE9C767.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
I wonder why they’ve changed their pressure spec. The install manual for mine specs 85-105psi.
Either way, you can run ARBs with what you’ve got. Having that little tank will be helpful.
I recall Viair has a pressure switch that comes on at 85 and shuts off at 105. If that matches the spec for your lockers then you won’t need a regulator, just use that switch.

View attachment 235424

I think this is where I'd gotten that information from. It's interesting that they have changed this requirement for no more than 105 psi.

Reactions: Rick Flair
10-4. Lockers are in. Just need to plumb the rear and re-route plumbing and electrical to front. I don't like having the solenoid right off the tank underneath!
One other thing, the solenoids for ARB use British standard pipe thread so you’d need an adapter for NPT to BSPT.

I have the manifold bolted to my fender under the hood and the solenoids tie into one of the ports.

Reactions: WHBNM and Wildman
Call ARB, I know if the pressure is too much you will blow out the o-rings.
No you won't. You would have to get well over 250 psi to even start to get in the realm of blowing the o-rings and seals. I'm one that runs ARB front in a 9". There were some crash lock issues that were problematic that ARB solved for some with a higher PSI pressure switch to keep the engagement force higher. When Daniel was over here for the KOH race several years ago, I ran into him and he handed me that switch and told me to run it.

Reactions: WHBNM and Claytone
I've heard that too and when I first put in an ARB I was careful to only fill my air tank to around 100 psi. I think this maybe came from the fact that ARB compressors shut off around 95-100 psi. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but there was a forum discussion about this years ago and either an ARB employee came on or someone posted a response to from the company about this. IIRC the company claimed the o-ring seal in the locker is good for several hundred PSI. It was more than the air line rating. I think the weak link was the electric actuator valve that starts to leak at some lower pressure.
It was on POR and it revolved around the racers crash locking the lockers and how to slow down the damage. Daniel was involved and came over to the KOH race that year and spent some time with folks that were having issues. They solved a bunch of it with a 150 psi pressure switch. (Daniel is the head engineer at ARB)

No you won't. You would have to get well over 250 psi to even start to get in the realm of blowing the o-rings and seals. I'm one that runs ARB front in a 9". There were some crash lock issues that were problematic that ARB solved for some with a higher PSI pressure switch to keep the engagement force higher. When Daniel was over here for the KOH race several years ago, I ran into him and he handed me that switch and told me to run it.

I stand corrected then. Was always told like others, no more than 95 psi or blown o-rings.

Good to know. 😎