Running issues after washing engine bay

Kraken72

Bolt Breaker
Supporting Member
So yesterday removed ac components and reinstalled new components. Gave the engine bay a good wash down afterwards. Then went for a drive, Jeep ran fine. This morning vacuumed out the system, no leaks filled system. Took it for a drive, ran fine. Get back home and replaced ac control and a vacuum actuator. Started Jeep to check ac, well still not right. Jeep started to idle up and down and almost die, then eventually died. Will not stay running. Scanned with Torque Pro get code p0320 and p0340. Cleared the codes and tried to start again, runs for a few minutes and dies. No check engine light. Don't know what to do. Every time I get one thing fixed, something else fucks up.

i learned the hard way, dont wash the engine unless it's absolutely necessary ! washed the engine in my last TJ and check engine light came on. luckily mine still ran and after a few long rides it went out. i guess some sensors got wet and finally dried out after getting hot !

This is so messed up. All new Mopar sensors recently. Aggravating the fuck out of me. Going to open the distributor and wipe it out.

I've checked wiring connectors on sensors. Checked distributor, ignition coil, camshaft pickup, crankshaft sensor. I blew connectors out with air. I do not see any moisture anywhere. Did a PCM reset, check engine light came back on p0320 & p0340. Tach kept jumping up and down, it would almost die then keep running then almost die again. I can't figure it out?

I've checked wiring connectors on sensors. Checked distributor, ignition coil, camshaft pickup, crankshaft sensor. I blew connectors out with air. I do not see any moisture anywhere. Did a PCM reset, check engine light came back on p0320 & p0340. Tach kept jumping up and down, it would almost die then keep running then almost die again. I can't figure it out?

you need to just let it run and get hot to dry things out. if you can take it for a drive. mine took about 3 days to dry out.

Ok will let it dry for a few days. Then go for another drive. Check engine light came back on, scanned p0340, but will not clear?

Well blew out connectors again. Reconnected crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Check engine light came back on p0320 and p0340. Should I order new sensors?

Likely not the sensors, if they're Mopar. Do you have the old ones to plug back in?

Do not have the old ones, they were not Mopar. Just can't figure it out?

I'm betting there is a wiring or PCM related issue. The probability of both sensors being bad is very low. Is there anything that got unplugged in the process for the A/C or other parts that got missed? FWIW, I've washed engine bays multiple times and never had an issue ( I do cover some parts with plastic bags though). Also, did you unplug and check the connections going into the PCM?

Reactions: FJQue
both Jerry and I told you to 1st try running it and it should go away in a few days. you need to get the engine hot to help dry out whatever got wet. it might take a few days of this and it should fix itself. I drove mine about 20 miles each day and on the 3rd day the CEL went out on it's own, didn't need to reset it. odds are blowing out the connectors aren't going to do shit, spray it with WD-40 and then blow it out. if a sensor is read in millivolts any moisture will likely throw a code. i would take it for a long ride if you can or drive it around the block a few times (get it up to 210 deg.). do that a few days and if that doesn't do it we can chase the problems then !

Last edited:
I'm betting there is a wiring or PCM related issue. The probability of both sensors being bad is very low. Is there anything that got unplugged in the process for the A/C or other parts that got missed? FWIW, I've washed engine bays multiple times and never had an issue ( I do cover some parts with plastic bags though). Also, did you unplug and check the connections going into the PCM?

X2 to this. I’ve had almost zero luck slamming in parts without knowing it will fix.

I am confused by your first post. You said washed, changed parts AC some, and it ran fine, I think twice.

Then you post “Started Jeep to check ac, well still not right.”

May be nothing, but went from Ran Fin to “Still not right”???

So did it run fine after first steps driving or no?

I have a patience problem, but I’d follow this advice, let dry a couple days as they suggested. Drive it for a fun drive if you have time, highway speeds in the wind, radio up, ear plugs in, ha.

After 3 days, then I’d walk back parts, but maybe have a plan. Just a thought.

i learned the hard way, dont wash the engine unless it's absolutely necessary ! washed the engine in my last TJ and check engine light came on. luckily mine still ran and after a few long rides it went out. i guess some sensors got wet and finally dried out after getting hot !

FYI, it’s worse on our 08 JK I got for my younger son.

2 for 2 early on, wash engine bay and electric fan gone, and one starter. I hate electric fans and cannot believe they install them on Jeeps ever, ha.

Reactions: Irun and tr21triton