Rust holes

SD2001TJ

I was looking at my frame this morning and hitting it with a hammer. I definitely found some holes. See the attached picture. I’m dropping it off to the shop tomorrow. I’m sure the frame is rusted from the inside. I just don’t know how bad as these were the only holes I found (2 on the bottom). My skid plate bolts tightened up no problem. Not sure of how bad the damage really is.

0A35405E-1C40-4405-A672-9122701C6D83.jpeg

I was looking at my frame this morning and hitting it with a hammer. I definitely found some holes. See the attached picture. I’m dropping it off to the shop tomorrow. I’m sure the frame is rusted from the inside. I just don’t know how bad as these were the only holes I found (2 on the bottom). My skid plate bolts tightened up no problem. Not sure of how bad the damage really is.

View attachment 226263
Once you hit that frame with a needle scaler, I think it is going to be pretty ripe. Not trying to be a Debbie downer.

I thought I would need the safe T caps down the road but looks like I need them now. Anyone have any experience with Safe T caps? I see both sides are around $850 total from the rear to the front sides. Any idea on cost of install?

I’m hoping its fixable with safe T caps. I’m dreading if I have to replace the entire frame. I just dropped a bunch of $$ in this thing.
I guess it will just depend on if there is any good metal on the frame left that the replacement sections can be welded to. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. A new frame swap ain’t cheap at all!

I thought I would need the safe T caps down the road but looks like I need them now. Anyone have any experience with Safe T caps? I see both sides are around $850 total from the rear to the front sides. Any idea on cost of install?
Check out Pocono Metal Craft. Basically the same product at a lower price. Cost is going to vary wildly. Don't let your uncle's buddy Earl weld the caps on a Saturday afternoon for beer money. You need to cut ALL of the rust out first with a plasma cutter. I would budget at least $2,500 including the caps for this job. Auto Rust Technicians, the makers of Safe T Cap, have a list of certified shops that can install their caps:

https://www.autorust.com/safetcap-installer-network/

Check out Pocono Metal Craft. Basically the same product at a lower price. Cost is going to vary wildly. Don't let your uncle's buddy Earl weld the caps on a Saturday afternoon for beer money. You need to cut ALL of the rust out first with a plasma cutter. I would budget at least $2,500 including the caps for this job. Auto Rust Technicians, the makers of Safe T Cap, have a list of certified shops that can install their caps:

https://www.autorust.com/safetcap-installer-network/
Thanks for the info. I spoke with the installer from their website. He was saying depending on the job it averages out to $2500 both sides with the material included. But it all depends on what he actually sees in person. I’m taking it to the shop I got work done before who have done similar frame repair. I’ll get a quote and go from there. I believe it’s $100 an hour for labor.

Thanks for the info. I spoke with the installer from their website. He was saying depending on the job it averages out to $2500 both sides with the material included. But it all depends on what he actually sees in person. I’m taking it to the shop I got work done before who have done similar frame repair. I’ll get a quote and go from there. I believe it’s $100 an hour for labor.
Sounds about right. It's very skilled labor and worth the cost.

My sympathy goes out to you. We started tapping on the frame, you can sense it you can hear it.
I would never ever, ever spend 2500 on a frame. Trust me, unless this welder works in a nascar shop, I wouldn't trust many guys to "patch work" my frame.
A big day you can pull the entire body off the frame. Then if you want you can start cutting. I think you will find what I found, the metal is pretty tough shape though out.
These frames and salt are a horrible train wreck. Do yourself a big favor though, please lift the body off the (what's left) frame. Good luck

Reactions: Chris
You’ll have enough metal for the caps to be welded to. Buy the caps from Pocono Metal and find a local welder who does work on the side. That’s the route I went with and it cost less than a $1000.

I did s Poco and Safty Cap combo.
20200916_105128.jpg
20200916_110623.jpg
a couple pics. My frame was bad. Middle and back sections. I have the fronts and will tackle them one day.

Reactions: SD2001TJ
You’ll have enough metal for the caps to be welded to. Buy the caps from Pocono Metal and find a local welder who does work on the side. That’s the route I went with and it cost less than a $1000.
Was that the cost for both sides or just one? And was it from the rear control arm bracket to the front bracket?

It’s good to know and hear success stories! Thank you.
I would not hesitate to drive in a Jeep with this done. I wasnt about to do a frame swap. I lucked out and talked my mechanic into letting me use his lift so I could cut the frame then had him weld it in.