Rust Spot Help

98Tj_Anthony

1626631914792891685214.jpg
I need to stop this rust spot ASAP before it gets bad. How should I go about it?

Cutting it out and replacing it is the only permanent fix.
Everything else is just a temporary cover up, and it'll keep getting worse, you just won't be seeing it until it's twice as bad as it is now.
No matter what you do you'll need paint.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I need to stop this rust spot ASAP before it gets bad. How should I go about it?
...before it gets bad??

Multiple rust layers flaking off is bad, that's not surface rust. You will need paint either way if you're wanting to fix it correctly. If you're just wanting to stop the rot, you will need to remove the existing rust (including under the bubbled paint) by sanding, wire brush etc until you get to clean metal. Then you will need to prep, prime, and paint (matching or not).

I did exactly that on mine last year. Previous owner covered it up with Bondo but that just delayed what I found. It won’t hold it off forever… but long enough before I just order new fenders.
View attachment 266085View attachment 266086View attachment 266087View attachment 266088View attachment 266089View attachment 266091View attachment 266092
Nice job. I found one dime sized spot on my fender. I'm going this route if/when it gets worse. I treated it with some Eastwood encapsulator to see if it actually works.
flat flares1 (2).jpg

Reactions: UKTJ
I had those same spots on both fenders, I ground it out with a dremel pretty deep, used Eastwood rust encapsulator, bondo then a little paint. Good enough for now. Since my jeep stays in the garage in any rain or snow I should get several years out of it. when it comes back I will likely replace them.

Reactions: Irun
Not sure id want to do that. I'd need paint for after I weld it and I don't know where I'd get that.
Given your location, if, and only if, it's fixable, cutting out the old rust will be easier than removing and replacing the fender. My guess is you're going to break several bolts, leading to more work!

FWIW, paint can be found here:
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/

I fixed mine a few months ago, it did not come out as good as I hoped I think because I used too much bondo. At least there’s not visible rust, but the repair line is clearly visible. Eventually I’ll replace the fender or maybe get flat fenders (although I prefer the stock style)
223C4BCD-18F0-49E2-ADA5-FB1907336F5F.jpeg
EF6B0449-8F1A-4DC4-A09D-621FC4183310.jpeg
FA4F63C7-6D97-4FC0-B434-7D33E621ED5C.jpeg

Reactions: Stretch