Rust Stop vs. Fluid Film vs. Cosmoline

JerryD

Greetings everyone, new to the forum but I like what I see. [emoji106]

I've found a near pristine 06 Rubi with 25k miles that I may pull the trigger on. Problem is, well, Michigan salts their roads like my wife salts popcorn... but that's a different issue.

I remember having an old Scout and being advised to use a combination of chain saw oil (for stickiness) and waste oil. Never liked the idea of waste oil because of metal particulates that would naturally be suspended in it, but people swear by it.

I like the idea of Fluid Film (& Cosmoline) but am thinking that it could still trap moisture. Unless the surface is totally free of rust, would Rust Stop be a better choice for a 10 year old vehicle?

And Chris, thanks for the forum.

Jerry
N2JPZ
(Currently piloting a JK, maybe soon a TJ)

Reactions: Chris
Greetings everyone, new to the forum but I like what I see. [emoji106]

I've found a near pristine 06 Rubi with 25k miles that I may pull the trigger on. Problem is, well, Michigan salts their roads like my wife salts popcorn... but that's a different issue.

I remember having an old Scout and being advised to use a combination of chain saw oil (for stickiness) and waste oil. Never liked the idea of waste oil because of metal particulates that would naturally be suspended in it, but people swear by it.

I like the idea of Fluid Film (& Cosmoline) but am thinking that it could still trap moisture. Unless the surface is totally free of rust, would Rust Stop be a better choice for a 10 year old vehicle?

And Chris, thanks for the forum.

Jerry
N2JPZ
(Currently piloting a JK, maybe soon a TJ)

The only one I have experience with is Fluid Film, but I swear by it. Have you see any of the YouTube videos where they spray half of a piece of raw metal with Fluid Film and then leave it in salt water? When they finally take it out, the Fluid Film side is completely rust free, but the untreated side is rusty as hell.

It really, really works!

Read all these reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B93ZXGS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: darkangel07760
I just started looking in to Fluid Film & Rust Stop, so I've only seen a couple of videos. I can see how it can protect raw metal, but what if there were some moisture/light rust already started on the metal before Fluid Film is applied? That's my criticism with some of the Eastwood stuff (the "Rust Encapsulators") that seal the metal. If the metal has already started some corrosion, my concern is that the corrosion would continue UNDERNEATH the application.

I did search on this forum and came across a post you had done concerning the Fluid Film (Minty fresh, right? :) ) and I'm liking what I;m seeing, just wondering about non-fresh metal. Thanks!

I just started looking in to Fluid Film & Rust Stop, so I've only seen a couple of videos. I can see how it can protect raw metal, but what if there were some moisture/light rust already started on the metal before Fluid Film is applied? That's my criticism with some of the Eastwood stuff (the "Rust Encapsulators") that seal the metal. If the metal has already started some corrosion, my concern is that the corrosion would continue UNDERNEATH the application.

I did search on this forum and came across a post you had done concerning the Fluid Film (Minty fresh, right? :) ) and I'm liking what I;m seeing, just wondering about non-fresh metal. Thanks!

Encapsulators will encapsulate any existing rust. So basically it will trap the rust underneath it, and it won't allow it to grow anymore. So, while it doesn't get rid of your existing rust, it will keep it from ever getting worse if applied properly.

As for the Fluid Film, I'm not 100% sure. When I apply mine I was the underside thoroughly with a soap and water mix. I hose it off, park it in the garage for a day, and then the next day when it's 100% dry, I apply the Fluid Film.

As far as Fluid Film on metal that already has rust, I think you have to encapsulate the rust first, then put Fluid Film over the top of it (since Fluid Film isn't an encapsulator).

Chris you say you swear by fluid film, and seem to work on your jeep quite a bit. Just bought three cans, did the inside of my frame and just to try it out did some of the rear end as well. I'm constantly under the jeep checking things over, pushing pulling, and tearing things apart. That stuff is nasty, and slimy, so much so that im hesitant to do the rest of the jeep. Does it ever get better? I know it wont dry but will it pick up some dust and sort of thicken up so it isnt such a mess or will i always need a hasmat suit to get under there

I started using fluid film last winter and swear by it. You need to buy it by the gallon and spray it on with an underbody gun, way thicker and not quite as greasy.

Chris you say you swear by fluid film, and seem to work on your jeep quite a bit. Just bought three cans, did the inside of my frame and just to try it out did some of the rear end as well. I'm constantly under the jeep checking things over, pushing pulling, and tearing things apart. That stuff is nasty, and slimy, so much so that im hesitant to do the rest of the jeep. Does it ever get better? I know it wont dry but will it pick up some dust and sort of thicken up so it isnt such a mess or will i always need a hasmat suit to get under there

Yeah, it's definitely a little messy. You've got to redo the coatings a few times a year, as eventually it will all come off if you just do it once and never do it again.

When I get under the vehicle with the intention of working on something, I first of all put on my mechanic jumpsuit (helps to have one), but in addition to that I get shop rags and wipe off the areas I'll be working on first. I also never work on my vehicle without latex gloves, so it doesn't bother me that much.

I guess it's one of those things where I have to spend 15 minutes preparing the area I'm going to be working on. However, I don't mind that since it's not like I'm under it every day. Not to mention, I have the piece of mind of knowing that I won't be getting any rust.

Reactions: Serbonze
I tend to just jump right in there in whatever I'm wearing (within reason), especially if I hear something weird. I may have to change my habits and try it out for the winter. Perhaps I'll just run it in the winters when I spend less time under the jeep anyway. Do you get it in the aerosol cans or gallon like dozer dude mentioned?

Rub it in why don't you!

But really... Living by the coast, you'd think the salt in the air would affect you some... No?
As a young bachelor living literally on the beach, rust was a problem. But that ceased to be a problem once I got married and my bride dragged me inland a mile or two. I suspect to get me away from all the women in bikinis on the beach. She was one of them so she knew lol.

Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
As a young bachelor living literally on the beach, rust was a problem. But that ceased to be a problem once I got married and my bride dragged me inland a mile or two. I suspect to get me away from all the women in bikinis on the beach. She was one of them so she knew lol.

Ahhh, so you're inland more! That makes perfect sense then.

Gotta love marriage!

I sprayed it on my steel wheels and shocks last fall. Shocks didn't fare well but the steel wheels were rust free which is rare for steel wheel after a salty winter. It did take a couple car washes to wash it off and the sponge would be black each time.

It's not slimy but a bit slippery. I had a hard time installing my 5100's after spraying them with it. Felt like handling a lubed johnson.

Reactions: Serbonze
Question for fluid film users @Chris. What do you do for washing the jeep with fluid film applied? I assume pressure washing would make quick work of the fluid film and you'd have to re-apply? I very regularly pressure washer the entire jeep including everything underneath I can get to and flushing the frame. Is this something I'll have to get over? I can't imagine you guys going all winter without spraying her off, so what do you do?

Question for fluid film users @Chris. What do you do for washing the jeep with fluid film applied? I assume pressure washing would make quick work of the fluid film and you'd have to re-apply? I very regularly pressure washer the entire jeep including everything underneath I can get to and flushing the frame. Is this something I'll have to get over? I can't imagine you guys going all winter without spraying her off, so what do you do?

I find generally I only need to use the hose and blast everything off. I've never really needed to use something as high powered as a pressure washer. If that's the case, you likely will blast the Fluid Film right off, in which case you'd need to apply another coat.

I think what it may come down to is a timing thing. I usually do about 3-4 coats of fluid film per year. If I were you, I would strategically plan your pressure washing for the times right before you plan on applying a new coat of Fluid Film. In the in-between, I would just use a hose to hose things off as best you can.

Interesting. Well, as weird as it sounds I don't have access to a hose, as I'm living in an apartment right now and they have some stupid safety lock on all of their spickets and won't give me access to them. I'll have to ask them again and see if they've changed their mind.

Interesting. Well, as weird as it sounds I don't have access to a hose, as I'm living in an apartment right now and they have some stupid safety lock on all of their spickets and won't give me access to them. I'll have to ask them again and see if they've changed their mind.

That is strange! Stingy apartment complexes don't want you using their water... LOL