Rusty Jounce Cup Bolt Removal Help

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So i've been working on my spring swap and I am trying to replace my rusty jounce cups and crumbly bumpers at the same time. My issue is, the bolt head inside the cup is pretty far gone and I cannot even get a socket on it.

Does anyone know if its a 15mm socket that i'm supposed to be using to undo the bolt?

Since i'm sure this is a common issue, i've seen these jounce cups so rusted out that they are flaking apart. Does anyone happen to have experience with removing these specific corroded bolts inside the cups?

Last thing I did tonight before calling it quits was scrape the inside of the cup out as best I could all around whatever was left of the bolt head, and drowned everything in liquid wrench.

Any tricks or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find a socket that you think might just fit, and pound it on with a hammer.
This is what my stepdad just told me to do. I'll give this a shot tomorrow, however i'm having a hard time compressing/removing the spring with this jounce cup on. Which is in the way of me hitting a socket on there. Not sure if i'm doing that wrong, because I thought it just slipped over the cup.

Just had a similar issue with the castle nut on my track bar while I was replacing it.
I bought these some time last year "just in case" and they earned their place in my tool chest getting that nut off:
https://www.harborfreight.com/9-pc-38-in-drive-metric-bolt-extractor-socket-set-67894.html
It may come down to this, but thanks for the idea. My cousin just told me he has a Gator Socket, which is supposed to be like a pin impression type thing...have to see how that goes. Lol.

Reactions: Water Bug
Does anyone know if its a 15mm socket that i'm supposed to be using to undo the bolt?
I figure I'll add to this for the sake of anyone else trying to get these things off if they look as bad as mine did.

It is a 15mm under normal circumstances but if they are severely corroded you may have better luck with a 9/16th socket. Mine were so bad in the rear they had a tapered effect (see pics), and were a total pita to get a grip on. I scraped out the inside of the jounce cup with a hook tool, torched the inside for like 30 seconds, then pounded on the 9/16 socket...all that with the added drowning of penetrating oil from the top did the trick. Piece of cake right?

The front ones on the other hand took the 15mm and unscrewed 75% of the way out then wouldn't go any further, they just spinned endlessly. They required some downward force while unbolting due to thread corrosion as there were a few threads left at the end that needed to catch. That actually stripped out my threads on the cup mount so upon reinstall I had to add a nut onto the top side as an anchor. Worked out good in the end.

IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6842.JPG
IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

I also used the Energy Suspension bump stops and they are nice!

IMG_6837.JPG

Reactions: SSTJ
I figure I'll add to this for the sake of anyone else trying to get these things off if they look as bad as mine did.

It is a 15mm under normal circumstances but if they are severely corroded you may have better luck with a 9/16th socket. Mine were so bad in the rear they had a tapered effect (see pics), and were a total pita to get a grip on. I scraped out the inside of the jounce cup with a hook tool, torched the inside for like 30 seconds, then pounded on the 9/16 socket...all that with the added drowning of penetrating oil from the top did the trick. Piece of cake right?

The front ones on the other hand took the 15mm and unscrewed 75% of the way out then wouldn't go any further, they just spinned endlessly. They required some downward force while unbolting due to thread corrosion as there were a few threads left at the end that needed to catch. That actually stripped out my threads on the cup mount so upon reinstall I had to add a nut onto the top side as an anchor. Worked out good in the end.
That’s nuts! I can’t imagine living in a place where that happens to your vehicle.

That’s nuts! I can’t imagine living in a place where that happens to your vehicle.
Crazy part is the title says its a southern vehicle not from the north where I am now...must have spent some time exposed to the elements and it does have some miles on it.

@EJD Thanks for the pics—very helpful.

Do you have a link to the jounce bumpers you chose? Happy with them so far?