Salvage or non-salvage?

WOW ! , How fortunate are you Squatch ? My family / extended family has had 6 XJ s and 5 TJs.
All of them had Plastic tank / Aluminum cores. The last OEM brass tank and core radiator I own is in an 1980 Chevy K-20.;)
Wow. I wonder what the difference could be? My TJ is a '98, and it most definitely is the brass tank. My XJ is a '96, but it has plastic side tanks. That being said, it's the original one, and doesn't leak, so I guess I can't complain. ;)

Reactions: JMT
Wow. I wonder what the difference could be? My TJ is a '98, and it most definitely is the brass tank. My XJ is a '96, but it has plastic side tanks. That being said, it's the original one, and doesn't leak, so I guess I can't complain. ;)
the XJs were 84 , 94 , (2) 96 , 99 , 00.
The TJ are 98 , 99 , 00 , 04 , 05
All with plastic / aluminum radiators.
You must be lucky I guess !

Reactions: Squatch
Perhaps. But honestly, if it keeps things cool and doesn't leak, it could be made of cardboard, as long as it continues to do its job. Brass is definitely my preference, but like I said, the plastic/aluminum one in the XJ has been doing its job for 181,000 miles, so there's that. (y)
I'm going to pick up some more parts in a couple of weeks, which includes another radiator from a '97 4.0 TJ. Now I'm wondering if it's plastic, or brass? Guess I'll know soon enough. :)

Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, I am not the original owner of my '98. I bought it from the original owner. That means that he could have replaced the radiator with an aftermarket unit that happens to have brass tanks. I just went out and checked the radiator for a Pentastar logo anywhere on the radiator, but was unable to find one. Therefore, I may be sorely mistaken about the originality of this radiator. Having said that, if it's rebuildable, I will likely have that done. Also, I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, and not just ripping into me (a good ribbing about being "lucky" does not qualify as an attack...;)). It's one of things I love about this forum. Folks are generally very civil.

Oh, and sorry about the hijacking of your thread, @JMT! 😬
image (14).jpg

Also, I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, and not just ripping into me (a good ribbing about being "lucky" does not qualify as an attack...;)). It's one of things I love about this forum. Folks are generally very civil.
I also appreciate this Forum and the Folks on it ! I also love that most of us can give each other a little static without being a mean SOB
about everything!
Seriously Squatch I hope you do find another all brass radiator ! I know I would love to have one !

Reactions: Squatch
Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, I am not the original owner of my '98. I bought it from the original owner. That means that he could have replaced the radiator with an aftermarket unit that happens to have brass tanks. I just went out and checked the radiator for a Pentastar logo anywhere on the radiator, but was unable to find one. Therefore, I may be sorely mistaken about the originality of this radiator. Having said that, if it's rebuildable, I will likely have that done. Also, I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, and not just ripping into me (a good ribbing about being "lucky" does not qualify as an attack...;)). It's one of things I love about this forum. Folks are generally very civil.

Oh, and sorry about the hijacking of your thread, @JMT! 😬View attachment 266982
High jacking threads is the name of your game! It’s all good. In the name of science, I ordered the wrong radiator, and i learned that the i4 had a brass tank available, the i6 did not. I had to quickly call and correct my order. ill end up with a plastic one, but the reviews are great, and saved me $150. 🤷🏼

Not sure how I missed this yesterday but I'm glad you got to work fixing it.

clearly the universe is showning you a sign that it's time to buy a welder. Spot welds would be easy to do even if its the first thing you practiced right after owning up the box.

Seems like it's basically a wash between salvage and not. I'd keep the title clean.

Glad your daughter is ok and only Things got hurt.

Maybe trade it in and get her a RAM. A dodge would save her from future accidents though 🤭

Too soon?

A dodge would save her from future accidents though
You’re too punny!

Thanks Alex. I keep looking for a Miller 211. Prices are high right now!

Don't get too caught up with brands. I've got an ancient (90s) Century MIG and it's been great. My C10 project has seen it do plenty of good work lately, frame shortening to body panel butt welds. Prior to that it did plenty of work on old Willys and hot rod projects.

Good save on the XJ, I really like the 2-doors. I'll be in the kid driving zone in a couple of years, ouch.

I guess I want a welder that works LIKE the Miller 211. I really don’t know what that means. I just know that type is really easy to use. I don’t have much room either. Garage is small

Reactions: Alex01
Once you're used to adjusting the settings by analyzing the weld the usage becomes easier. It seems it's never too far off of what the chart that comes with the welder says, regardless of the machine/brand.
I'm stuck with the 2-car attached to my house, so the smaller the better for me as well. As long as it can do the thickness needed for your projects, no need to go huge.
Having 220 out there is nice, no more stealing the dryer outlet with my "hybrid" extension cord like I used to do.

You’re too punny!

Thanks Alex. I keep looking for a Miller 211. Prices are high right now!
Bakers Gas sent an email the other day that they are doing 0% no fee financing on welders. They gave me a great deal on my welder a while back. I'd think prices would come down based on that if the inventory would increase. They do have some sales now.

Once you're used to adjusting the settings by analyzing the weld the usage becomes easier. It seems it's never too far off of what the chart that comes with the welder says, regardless of the machine/brand.
I'm stuck with the 2-car attached to my house, so the smaller the better for me as well. As long as it can do the thickness needed for your projects, no need to go huge.
Having 220 out there is nice, no more stealing the dryer outlet with my "hybrid" extension cord like I used to do.
I was surprised with how much I could do on the 120v, though I tripped the breaker a few times pushing it for too long. But I agree, having run the 240v it’s not really a consideration anymore.

Reactions: Apparition
I used to have 220V in the garage at our last place, and a giant 3 car garage. The irony is it was always filled with farm equipment. Needed a barn! Now I have the 2 car garage and 120V and tons of stuff stuffed in there. People in my house keep buying more crap and storing it in the garage. I’m going to need to design something to maximize usable space and build it. I hope lumber prices drop soon.

I think I like the auto set feature on the 211, and the spool gun, so I don’t have to figure all that stuff out. Hobbyist only

I used to have 220V in the garage at our last place, and a giant 3 car garage. The irony is it was always filled with farm equipment. Needed a barn! Now I have the 2 car garage and 120V and tons of stuff stuffed in there. People in my house keep buying more crap and storing it in the garage. I’m going to need to design something to maximize usable space and build it. I hope lumber prices drop soon.

I think I like the auto set feature on the 211, and the spool gun, so I don’t have to figure all that stuff out. Hobbyist only
Check out the multimatic 235

We have a Miller auto set at work and it’s a great machine. The only time I’ve had a problem with it is when I was using a strong magnet to hold together a sheet metal butt weld. It lost the auto adjustment near the magnet. Not a hard thing to work around, but good to know.

Something to think about, your twins are the right age and would gain some wicked life skills with a welder! (Selling the educational aspect😂) you’ll all learn together.

My son got into welding here at the farm around that age. When he showed me two utility knife blades that he tig welded sharp edge to edge, I was impressed to say the least. Now he’s the practiced in house expert.