Savvy engine skid install, with Fumoto oil pan valve (mated to OEM transfer case skid)

It comes with four coarse thread 3/8 bolts/nuts and four fine thread 3/8 bolts/nuts. mrblaine said the coarse threads should go with the upper brackets that mount to the motor mount frames and the fines threads should go with the struts that mount to the skid plate and brackets.

View attachment 62415View attachment 62416View attachment 62417

I had to grind a little metal off of the drivers side L bracket so it would clear the mounting bracket nut and bolt. Also ground away a little metal on the skid that turned up near the lowest spot on the drivers side exhaust. Mounted up to the factory transfer case skid plate.

View attachment 62418View attachment 62419View attachment 62420View attachment 62421View attachment 62422

Passengers side motor mount frame bracket tab towards the front, "L" brace strut behind tab on motor mount frame bracket, "L" brace strut on front of skid plate.

View attachment 62423

Drivers side motor mount frame bracket tab towards the rear, "L" brace strut in front of tab on motor mount frame bracket, corner of the top of the "L" brace strut ground down enough to clear the bolt/nut on the motor mount frame bracket, "L" brace strut on front of skid plate.

View attachment 62424

Holes drilled in stock transfer case skid plate. Make sure you got the front mounting point where you want them before you drill these.

View attachment 62425

I added a washer to each rear screw between the Savvy Engine Skid and the stock transfer case skid just to get a little bit more clearance between the Savvy skid and my transmission drain plug and the sensor for my transmission temperature gauge.

View attachment 62426

Clearance between transmission temp gauge sensor and skid.

View attachment 62427

A little tip on the bolts that go through the motor mount frames. I used a small magnet to catch the bolts and pull them through. It wasn't fool proof though, I got one of the first try. The other 3 took 2 or 3 tries, but was still easier than getting my fingers in there. When tightening, I found that sticking the boxed end of a wrench up in the frame and the angled end of the wrench curved enough to hold the bolt while tightening the nut. mrblaine said the bolts that hold the brackets to the motor mount brackets should go up through the assembly and they nut on the inside. The serrated nuts will hold tight on their own and you can torque the bolts without holing the nuts. I happen to have a boxed end wrench that the angle was just right to reach up in there and hold the head of the bolts, so I put the nuts on the lower side. He did say that way was ok to do too.

I used blue Loctite on all the hardware, torqued all the front hardware to 33 ft lbs and the 4 rear bolts to 22 ft lbs. You'll need a P4 phillips bit for the 4 rear screws. Everything spray painted with Rustoleum flat black spray paint.

View attachment 62428View attachment 62429View attachment 62430

The oil plug lined up pretty well. I ended up replacing the drain plug at my next oil change with a Fumoto Valve. I got the F101S which came with the plastic guard/clip thing, the hose kit for S type valves which came with the hose, a straight plastic adapter and the 90* plastic adapter, and I went ahead and ordered the F cap thinking I would use it on the elbow. The plastic elbow snaps on and off pretty easy, but I figure I'll leave it on all the time and just turn it down to hook up the drain tube when time to change the oil.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/?target=model_product&modelId=514422

I wanted to get the F101N with the long nipple so I could just hook a hose straight to it, but I was afraid it would hang down to low and get hit by something. The F101S that I installed is between 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch above the skid plate opening at the lowest point of the metal part of the valve.

Over all, I'm happy with all of it.

View attachment 62431View attachment 62432View attachment 62433View attachment 62434View attachment 62435View attachment 62436

Is this the SAV-UAENG skid?

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sav-uaeng/
The mounts in the Savvy picture are different than the ones you posted.

TIA.

Thank you, order placed (I found out this weekend my new cable shifters and my Nth tranny skid don't like each other).

Hopefully, the Savvy engine/transmission skid is easily modified to work with my Nth transfer case skid.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Hate to start a new thread so I’ll just continue this one.. started the install today of the savvy engine skid on my 01 TJ. Will finish tomrw, I have a little more grinding to do on the stock Skid plate. But it’s turning out quite easy and fits well. From the original post, I basically flipped the bolt and nut on driver side and it gave me enough clearance to allow for movement

E346B5AF-5404-4241-BAD8-FA7E48830E94.jpeg

9128CDCA-7F5C-48D3-9810-59F7CB5DF0A0.jpeg

8DD40636-9FBC-4BD5-8275-838A6701A6B1.jpeg

0DB2773A-8AA6-42E5-8FAB-FB541620550E.jpeg

Hate to start a new thread so I’ll just continue this one.. started the install today of the savvy engine skid on my 01 TJ. Will finish tomrw, I have a little more grinding to do on the stock Skid plate. But it’s turning out quite easy and fits well. From the original post, I basically flipped the bolt and nut on driver side and it gave me enough clearance to allow for movement

View attachment 155259

View attachment 155260

View attachment 155261

View attachment 155262
Looks good. 👍

View attachment 155259

View attachment 155260

View attachment 155261

View attachment 155262

After getting home from work and looking at bigger pictures on my laptop, It looks like your Savvy skid goes back onto the OEM transfer case a lot further than it does on my '06. I see yours is a manual. Mine is an automatic.

I wonder if the transfer case skids are different between the years or between the manuals and autos?

Reactions: Jamesval035
Appreciate you taking the time to do the write it. Besides the Savvy review and install, I've been trying to figure out the best place to install the temp sensor in the transmission pan. Pictures are worth a thousand words!!!!

You planning to paint or powdercoat the supports? Looks good and I like how you were able to use the lower holes for the extra 1/2” clearance!
I was going to paint them but realized I do not have any black spray paint left. They'll get painted today. I was going to bolt up to upper holes until I started messing around with it to see what works best and everything fit perfect after doing so. It helps that I have a 1"mml and 1.25" body lift

After getting home from work and looking at bigger pictures on my laptop, It looks like your Savvy skid goes back onto the OEM transfer case a lot further than it does on my '06. I see yours is a manual. Mine is an automatic.

I wonder if the transfer case skids are different between the years or between the manuals and autos?
I do remember reading somewhere that there are differences to them, just can't recall. Probably the 97-02 and 03-06 are different. I had to notch the TC Skid a little so that I can get the savvy skid to sit more flush. There is still a slight gap due to grooves on the TC skid I grind ed those down as much as I could.

Appreciate you taking the time to do the write it. Besides the Savvy review and install, I've been trying to figure out the best place to install the temp sensor in the transmission pan. Pictures are worth a thousand words!!!!

I have since replaced that pan with a Dorman brand pan that comes with a drain plug in a different location and I moved the temp sensor to a different location too. It allowed more clearance between the pan and skid plate.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-lj-today.22540/page-20#post-461342

Last edited:
I do remember reading somewhere that there are differences to them, just can't recall. Probably the 97-02 and 03-06 are different. I had to notch the TC Skid a little so that I can get the savvy skid to sit more flush. There is still a slight gap due to grooves on the TC skid I grind ed those down as much as I could.

That must be it. I’ve heard some people have to notch the OEM skid.

@MountaineerTom how did the paint hold up? If money weren't an option I'd powder coat everything but I'm looking to shave off money where possible.

I‘ve not scraped it on much stuff but it’s held up good. If it does get scraped, I’ll just hit it with paint again. I have no complaints.

Last edited:
No peeling at all. From memory, I wiped it down with alcohol, lightly scuffed with some sand paper (can’t remember the grit exactly, but I think 200 or 400) then just used some flat black rustoleum I had on hand.

Reactions: Captain Phoenix
Which Jeeps require modification to the Savvy engine skid? The 97-02 or the 03-06?
I'm between the Savvy and the UCF for my engine skid. Would like aluminum, but do not want to tuck yet. I have an 06 with a manual, body lift, and MML.

I don’t think you have to alter the skid itself. When I put it on my 01 with my stock transfer skid, I trimmed the stock skid a little so it would sit flush and the bolts of the engine skid can be threaded through