Savvy LED taillights

Blaine has had several of his designs ripped off, that's what he gets for designing good products.
I know, and it happens. Doesn't make it right, but that is the world we live in. It just seems that metal cloak is getting more and more derivative. Their armor is pretty unique... Then they twisted the Johnny joint and presented it as a new and improved design... That is a stretch, but ok... It's not a direct copy. At least they tried. In this case... They didn't even try.

They (metalcloak) did find a side marker that doesn't need to be machined to fit. So... Back to Savvy... I'm sure LED availability had increased since Blaine did the original design... I know him well enough to know he didn't pick that particular LED that needs to be machined by choice. It was the best available at the time. It's on Savvy to keep up. They could have found that light and redesigned the housing... But they didn't so it leaves the market open.

Reactions: Vasq
Now you got me reconsidering my plan.

I just picked up a set of flange mount round LED tail lamps, but I'm having second thoughts about drilling 4.5" holes in my tub.

I've always liked Savvy's tail lamps, but the price point kills me. I guess I'm going to have to break open the wallet again.

And..... it looks like they are on backorder according to the website.
Only hurts for a minute 😉

A4D15F1D-944E-4D8C-B16E-886C3927509D.jpeg

I know, and it happens. Doesn't make it right, but that is the world we live in. It just seems that metal cloak is getting more and more derivative. Their armor is pretty unique... Then they twisted the Johnny joint and presented it as a new and improved design... That is a stretch, but ok... It's not a direct copy. At least they tried. In this case... They didn't even try.

They (metalcloak) did find a side marker that doesn't need to be machined to fit. So... Back to Savvy... I'm sure LED availability had increased since Blaine did the original design... I know him well enough to know he didn't pick that particular LED that needs to be machined by choice. It was the best available at the time. It's on Savvy to keep up. They could have found that light and redesigned the housing... But they didn't so it leaves the market open.
Yep, when I did the original design, the small LED side marker lights were very short on selection. There was a total of 1 I found that was suitable.

I don't really know that Savvy should change the design simply because someone copied them. That would be like John making the JJ shittier to compete with all the knock-offs.

The only change I would make then and now is to get the OEM connectors put on to make them plug and play.

The only change I would make then and now is to get the OEM connectors put on to make them plug and play.
On the consumer end, it’s not terrible to splice in the stock pigtails, though I was searching for the pigtails to keep the oem taillights whole. Either way it doesn’t matter since I’ll rig the old lights up somewhere fun.

Yep, when I did the original design, the small LED side marker lights were very short on selection. There was a total of 1 I found that was suitable.

I don't really know that Savvy should change the design simply because someone copied them. That would be like John making the JJ shittier to compete with all the knock-offs.

I don't think they should change because someone ripped off the design. I'm saying they should have been monitoring availability and changed the lights to a more mfg friendly design as they became available. It would have been on them to decide to lower the price or pocket the extra profit. Now...their hand is forced a little. People shop on price...and Metal cloak is going to beat them, plus Metalcloak has "normal" shipping rates (generally free, IIRC). Just my opinion, but I think this will affect Savvy's "market share" of High End LED taillights negatively. If they want to keep selling them, they will be forced to figure out a way to make them less expensively.

On the consumer end, it’s not terrible to splice in the stock pigtails, though I was searching for the pigtails to keep the oem taillights whole. Either way it doesn’t matter since I’ll rig the old lights up somewhere fun.
The pigtails are easy. Buy the T trailer connector harness and cut them out of that. They are pretty cheap usually.

I don't think they should change because someone ripped off the design. I'm saying they should have been monitoring availability and changed the lights to a more mfg friendly design as they became available. It would have been on them to decide to lower the price or pocket the extra profit. Now...their hand is forced a little. People shop on price...and Metal cloak is going to beat them, plus Metalcloak has "normal" shipping rates (generally free, IIRC). Just my opinion, but I think this will affect Savvy's "market share" of High End LED taillights negatively. If they want to keep selling them, they will be forced to figure out a way to make them less expensively.
We need the good ole days to come back when you settled infringements amicably by sneaking up on someone and taking out their fucking kneecap with a baseball bat. Do that to a few folk and word gets around that being a dick isn't such a good idea.

The pigtails are easy. Buy the T trailer connector harness and cut them out of that. They are pretty cheap usually.
I always thought the lights looked the same driving around when I saw them… honestly never even considered them when I was working through this as they didn’t come to mind. Either way the oem lights seem to be easy to replace.

There’s lots of videos in the build thread. Or you want pictures of the actual damage? It’s nothing crazy, just lots of underside scraping and some rub rail / slider scraping.
How many push ups did you do before you took your latest profile pic? 🤣

There’s lots of videos in the build thread. Or you want pictures of the actual damage? It’s nothing crazy, just lots of underside scraping and some rub rail / slider scraping.
I don’t see any meaningful damage there, given the comment I expected body and/or armor damage.