Savvy Rock Sliders and Rear Fenders

jodomcfrodo

Antagonist and Dick
Supporting Member
Hi all,
My shop sent me a photo today asking what I would like to do about the interference between my Savvy Rock Sliders and my stock rear fender flares. The problem I'm running into is that the Savvy Sliders don't allow the rear fenders to sit flush against the body. I'd imagine that this gap would quickly fill with mud and rocks, eventually leading to problems. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? It seems like most people running Savvy sliders tend to run without rear flares but I'm not entirely sure I want to do that.

Is there a solution to this short of cutting the flares or the sliders?

Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

Corner guards set the flare back onto the same level.

Or you can trim 1/4" off behind that section of flare to account for the offset.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Corner guards set the flare back onto the same level.

Or you can trim 1/4" off behind that section of flare to account for the offset.

Both are good ideas! I'll have to decide if I want corner armor then... Time to do more research I guess.

Both are good ideas! I'll have to decide if I want corner armor then... Time to do more research I guess.

Depending on your wheeling style I highly recommend getting the tub rail with corners. It adds a lot of strength into the weak area above the tire and gives a nice edge to do turns off of.

Depending on your wheeling style I highly recommend getting the tub rail with corners. It adds a lot of strength into the weak area above the tire and gives a nice edge to do turns off of.

I've been doing some research and think I've mostly decided to cut the flares (but I'm still going to sit on it for a few days). I don't wheel hard enough to need the corner armor. Hell I probably don't even wheel hard enough to need the rock sliders.

My biggest concern with the corner armor is the looks. I'd be stuck between getting it painted green and powder coating it black. Either way, I just don't think it'd look that great. I'm not one to give up on functionality for looks, but I honestly don't need the corner armor so why sacrifice looks for it.

Well I was sort of set on trimming the fenders and now I'm not so sure. If I trim the fenders, the bottom most mount for the flare is gone. Not totally sure I'm a fan of that. If I was to get the Savvy corner armor, would painting it green be the best option? I know I could get it powder coated black, but I think that might look off. Has anyone painted their corner armor body color? How has it turned out?

Last edited:
Didn't read the entire thread again (just skimmed it briefly), but I'm pretty sure that Jeep doesn't have corner armor (at least I didn't see it). I think he might have just left the gap between the flare and the body.
No corner armor. But the flare is trimmed to fit the slider. The other very nice detail is that the slider backer is matched to the body color.

c6f22d27198f3e7e5c2e17fc8377bd79.jpg

@jodomcfrodo , both I and @Mike_H run the JCR’s which are ww2ww and have the same problem. I’ve been in serious mud and it didn’t get in there. It’s aesthetically displeasing at first, but you quickly forget about it. It’s one of those things where your focusing so much on one detail that it gets blown out of proportional importance. I’d leave it be for awhile and see if you don’t forget.

Just a real quick resurrection, are there any good write ups on installing the savvy slider kit?

I've been doing some research and think I've mostly decided to cut the flares (but I'm still going to sit on it for a few days). I don't wheel hard enough to need the corner armor. Hell I probably don't even wheel hard enough to need the rock sliders.

My biggest concern with the corner armor is the looks. I'd be stuck between getting it painted green and powder coating it black. Either way, I just don't think it'd look that great. I'm not one to give up on functionality for looks, but I honestly don't need the corner armor so why sacrifice looks for it.

Why wouldn't painted armor look good? I went this route with Savvy armor and sliders. It looked fantastic when done and most people didn't even notice it.

YNWVDmy.jpg

Why wouldn't painted armor look good? I went this route with Savvy armor and sliders. It looked fantastic when done and most people didn't even notice it.

View attachment 142469

Your paint also isn’t 230k miles old and faded 😉. New paint wouldn’t work right for me since it would be a night and day difference.

I’ve left the fender gap for over a year now and plan to leave it that way until I get back into the Jeep more. It’s been sitting around with very rare use for a few months now.

Reactions: Irun
Your paint also isn’t 230k miles old and faded 😉. New paint wouldn’t work right for me since it would be a night and day difference.

I’ve left the fender gap for over a year now and plan to leave it that way until I get back into the Jeep more. It’s been sitting around with very rare use for a few months now.

:LOL: Mine had 200+ k on it when I started and was worse. It was a forcing function to just repair/repaint everything. That said, I get what you're saying. It's not a trivial job and can be expensive. Especially, if you have to pay to have it painted. To give you a little idea of what I started with, here's a little before and after of the nose:

hAXnjhd.jpg

HvsOtd5.jpg

:LOL: Mine had 200+ k on it when I started and was worse. It was a forcing function to just repair/repaint everything. That said, I get what you're saying. It's not a trivial job and can be expensive. Especially, if you have to pay to have it painted. To give you a little idea of what I started with, here's a little before and after of the nose:

View attachment 142528

View attachment 142529
That is a hell of a transformation