Savvy winch guard question

HornedToad

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Are the winch guards shipping from Savvy these days including the thimble hanger or are they nothing but tubing the whole way? Mine has the thimble hanger and I hate looking at it 😆

Are the winch guards shipping from Savvy these days including the thimble hanger or are they nothing but tubing the whole way? Mine has the thimble hanger and I hate looking at it 😆

bumper003.jpg

Reactions: HornedToad
You don't like the Safety Thimble holder mrblaine designed to improve the approach angle?

IMAG1880.jpg

You don't like the Safety Thimble holder mrblaine designed to improve the approach angle?

View attachment 416085

Jerry, do you even read what the OP is asking anymore? :ROFLMAO: He is asking about the thimble hanger that is shown on the webpage (photo below), not the safety thimble fairlead.

@HornedToad - they are just shipping the tube AFAIK (if they are selling it at all). That said, you can consider getting a safety thimble fairlead from Blaine. Link below and it's an very nice solution. Certainly not an eyesore!

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ST-FAIRLEAD-WRG-ST-FAIRLEAD.htm?categoryId=-1
1681426617212.png

Jerry, do you even read what the OP is asking anymore? :ROFLMAO: He is asking about the thimble hanger that is shown on the webpage (photo below), not the safety thimble fairlead.

@HornedToad - they are just shipping the tube AFAIK (if they are selling it at all). That said, you can consider getting a safety thimble fairlead from Blaine. Link below and it's an very nice solution. Certainly not an eyesore!

[URL]https://www.shop.blackmagicbra...ST-FAIRLEAD-WRG-ST-FAIRLEAD.htm?categoryId=-1[/URL]

View attachment 416100

It looks like the winch bar is in stock so I’ll probably go ahead and order one. I bought the whole bumper used with the thimble hanger winch guard so it’s probably just an early version thing.

Reactions: psrivats
My recollection is that the winch bar thimble keeper was only available for a short period of time when the Savvy bumper was first released. It's a rare piece.

The hanger solved a big problem. Do this to a few thimbles like we have many times and a different solution is warranted enough to overcome most any annoyance over some aesthetic nonsense.

1681436444475.png

The hanger solved a big problem. Do this to a few thimbles like we have many times and a different solution is warranted enough to overcome most any annoyance over some aesthetic nonsense.

View attachment 416148

It is a good idea. What I failed to mention too is that mine also has a crooked, poorly welded license plate mount that I am also tired of looking at. If the bumper itself weren’t so nice looking I would just leave it be.

7B718D2E-2F82-42B1-A7FC-0E33FC2F1EC7.jpeg

It is a good idea. What I failed to mention too is that mine also has a crooked, poorly welded license plate mount that I am also tired of looking at. If the bumper itself weren’t so nice looking I would just leave it be.

View attachment 416154

Can you use a cut off wheel to cut that stuff off?

Reactions: HornedToad
Can you use a cut off wheel to cut that stuff off?

The more challenging part of deleting the thimble hanger will be patching the large hole in the tubing (covered by the hanger and there to allow a thimble to sit higher) and then getting it to look seamless.

It can be done but it will be a bit of a project.