Seat risers?

I used these. https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/tj-transfer-case-drop-kit-1.html

They sold me 8 of them in 1.25" sans hardware. for the same price as the rough country plastic kit.

Went to the local hardware store for the proper grade 8 bolts and I've been happy ever since. I just felt better having the metal spacers over the poly.
spacer.JPG

Reactions: JMT and derekmac
I’m 5’10 installed 2 inch risers. The view is much better, plenty of head room. As far as supporting originators of a product. I prefer to give credit where credit is due, but they need to stay competitive. There is always someone out there looking to build a better mousetrap. In this case we are not talking about rocket science. I could have probably made my own in my shop out of my junk box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: derekmac
Am I on track so far?
Not exactly. I didn't know about the Buchanan risers when I bought mine. I only came to notice them when I followed the OP's link. My statement that I couldn't justify spending $50 on seat risers was after the fact. Having more information does affect our purchasing decisions. With the information you shared it could have swayed me to buy the Buchanan's. It's not like $50 would break the bank! That's why I said it is good that this information is now here for someone interested in seat risers.

I would appreciate you not judging so quickly. Your post is full of judgments...:eek:

Not exactly. I didn't know about the Buchanan risers when I bought mine. I only came to notice them when I followed the OP's link. My statement that I couldn't justify spending $50 on seat risers was after the fact. Having more information does affect our purchasing decisions. With the information you shared it could have swayed me to buy the Buchanan's. It's not like $50 would break the bank! That's why I said it is good that this information is now here for someone interested in seat risers.

I would appreciate you not judging so quickly. Your post is full of judgments...:eek:
Well, you read what you wrote below without your after the fact qualifications and tell me what I should have thought?

1.25” from Fat Bob’s Garage. Only $23.95. I couldn’t justify paying $50 for seat risers. But I do love them.

Well, you read what you wrote below without your after the fact qualifications and tell me what I should have thought?

1.25” from Fat Bob’s Garage. Only $23.95. I couldn’t justify paying $50 for seat risers. But I do love them.
Hey man. I appreciate you. Communication in any form is not perfect (internet or face to face). I think that's about all there is to it. I appreciate your products and intend to get some more when my brake pads wear out!;)

OK, so I had no intentions of raising the seat, but with how everyone seems to rave about it, I tried it last night (1.25").

My first impressions (just remember I'm 6'4"):
  • More leg support closer to the knees
  • More comfortable putting left arm on door
  • Overall feeling sitting in it is better
  • Center console is now too low to comfortably use as an armrest
  • If I sit back in the seat, my head just touches the rollbar padding
I'll be going on a longish drive tomorrow, and wheeling all day, so I'll see what I think about it.

It does affect the tilt-n-slide function of the seats, at least with the 03-06 seat style. The top of the seat can rub on the windshield trim when all the way forward. Accessing the back seat is somewhat affected. I never get into the back that way, so it's no big deal to me.

It does affect the tilt-n-slide function of the seats, at least with the 03-06 seat style. The top of the seat can rub on the windshield trim when all the way forward. Accessing the back seat is somewhat affected. I never get into the back that way, so it's no big deal to me.
I do get in the back seat often, and the tilt-n-slide is affected. It touches my front visor, but no big deal, never really notice it...

You know my leg cramps bad only when I️ drive my Jeep. Maybe this is the answer. I️m going try this. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I support the originators of products and not those who make cheaper copies. Buchanan came out with them first and he does a very nice job providing quality hardware, clean work, and delivers a very nice product. I've used many sets of his over the years and will continue to do so even those as most can readily surmise, I'm more than capable of making my own or even making them as a product to sell.

When you've had as many original ideas ripped off that I have, it becomes a sore spot after awhile and those who originate things should be supported unless you have a way to improve the product.

I don't expect that to make a difference to everyone but if such things matter to you, Buchanan was the originator.
I just bought some directly from Buchanan because of this post. Thank you for the info and integrity @mrblaine

I ran across this: https://www.4wd.com/p/buchanan-precision-machine-seat-riser-mounting-brackets/prod450007

I’ve been driving my TJ everyday since I bought it in 2005. And have never considered buying a seat riser. Now I’m kind of thinking about it. Maybe....

Anyone else done this? What size did you go with?

The TJ seats were actually lowered from 2003 - 2006 for some reason. That's another reason why I am not a fan of later TJs.

The seat risers just put the seat back up to where it was on the earlier TJs, Yjs, and CJs.

The TJ seats were actually lowered from 2003 - 2006 for some reason. That's another reason why I am not a fan of later TJs.

The seat risers just put the seat back up to where it was on the earlier TJs, Yjs, and CJs.

Felt like I was sitting on the floor in my 2000. Couldn't see the hood and I am 5'11".

Can't imagine they actually lowered the seats farther in 2003.

Felt like I was sitting on the floor in my 2000. Couldn't see the hood and I am 5'11".

Can't imagine they actually lowered the seats farther in 2003.

I am 5'-9" and I have no problem seeing over the hood in my 1998.

Did you buy your Jeep used? Your seat may be worn out and sagging down.

Never thought of these then I bought 2 " billet aluminum ones, great upgrade to my '03, I recommend this. Note: watch you don't bump your head on roll bar when you're hopping in, don't ask how I know :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JMT
I am 5'-9" and I have no problem seeing over the hood in my 1998.

Did you buy your Jeep used? Your seat may be worn out and sagging down.
Yes used.. just about 50k miles
I wouldn't have said they were worn out by any stretch. Def original seats.
Maybe I am exaggerating a little. I could see the hood, but not like I can now. Pretty much everything is better with the risers.. angle of view through the steering wheel, seeing over the wheel, resting arm on door and center console, leg position, view out over the spare. I think it's the best bang for the buck mod you can do.