Seeking advise about title problem with Jeep

Big Red 1

TJ Enthusiast
Ok I purchased my Jeep back in early September at a car dealership. Everything went fine with that, they got their money and all. 30 days later, I haven’t received my hard plates and they inform me that the person who had traded it in was a lady whose husband had died and was owned. They stated that she had to give the death certificate to the DMV in order to get the title released. They said shouldn’t be more than a week or two and I should receive my plates. That was 3 months ago. Every time I call, I get the same response and sent another temporary tag. I was not informed of this when I purchased the vehicle and now my lender is calling me about the title because I have a unsecured loan at a secured loan rate. I’m afraid they could drag this out and I’ll be out on my end. Bank will have their money, dealer will have theirs and I won’t have a title. What is your opinions on this? I wouldn’t think they could sell a vehicle without a title. I’ve thought about taking the Jeep back and telling them to produce a title now or write me a check for a refund. Just aggravated with it and it’s really no big deal to do that, there’s plenty more jeeps out there. Thanks

The dealer is useless, I bought a 2014 Cherokee for my wife and the dealer had purchased it on a trade in but neglected to transfer the name, DMV told me it was the dealer, the dealer told me it was DMV. In the end, you will love this, I had to go to my DMV, be prepared to spend the whole day there, and tell them what happened, show them all the paperwork (bill of sale, temporary tag/registration, cancelled check for the purchase, etc.) They then issued me a title for the car and, most importantly, squared away their computer records. Since you have a lien against your's, I would take the bill of sale, the contract/loan papers from the bank, and any other paperwork associated with the Jeep to DMV and see if they can help you out. If that fails to work, I would then go to the bank with all the paperwork and show them, tell them the dealer is not helping and maybe they can get the dealer to pony up the title.

Virginia is the worst DMV I have ever had to deal with......

Reactions: B252 and fuse
The dealer is useless, I bought a 2014 Cherokee for my wife and the dealer had purchased it on a trade in but neglected to transfer the name, DMV told me it was the dealer, the dealer told me it was DMV. In the end, you will love this, I had to go to my DMV, be prepared to spend the whole day there, and tell them what happened, show them all the paperwork (bill of sale, temporary tag/registration, cancelled check for the purchase, etc.) They then issued me a title for the car and, most importantly, squared away their computer records. Since you have a lien against your's, I would take the bill of sale, the contract/loan papers from the bank, and any other paperwork associated with the Jeep to DMV and see if they can help you out. If that fails to work, I would then go to the bank with all the paperwork and show them, tell them the dealer is not helping and maybe they can get the dealer to pony up the title.

Sounds like another mess in its own. I hate going to the dmv

I blame the wife of the deceased.....she should be the executor of the estate and could easily contact DMV and produce a title assuming there is an estate account.

I blame the wife of the deceased.....she should be the executor of the estate and could easily contact DMV and produce a title assuming there is an estate account.
Well they keep saying that she’s turned everything In needed. DMV shows nothing on the title

Well they keep saying that she’s turned everything In needed. DMV shows nothing on the title
She hasn't turned in anything yet. This is on the dealer. They should have had her sign the title over to them. Just sign the name of who ever is on the title. DMV would never know who actually signed It. Just mail it in. . I'd go back to the dealer and have them make it right since they are the one's that sold you the Jeep, not the widow.

I'll put a little positive in here. Our DMV here on Maui is pretty good about this stuff and it doesn't take all day to fix things. I switched my plates to the National Park plate and it took about 20 minutes. It depends on when you go, stay away from lunchtime.
By the way, the National Park plates are cool, the money goes to help your local park and they look great. I used to work for NPS and the money goes directly to local park projects.

I had a similar problem last year. Traded the wife's minivan in on a small suv. We still owed a little on the van and after the dealer paid it off, the bank still screwed around about releasing the title. In the meantime, the dealer had sold the van to someone else. The bank said either the wife or I would have to sign a release for the title (never heard of that one before). We did at the dealers and they mailed it to the bank. The bank said they never got it. Signed a second one and sent it registered mail. I guess that did the trick as we never did hear anything else on it.

Have you ever been to the NY DMV? I would put them up against anyone as the worst[/QUOTE]
Dude. The DMV and State of Virginia is ridiculous.

I once got a call from my HR department that the VA was garnishing my wages for back taxes. I was confused as hell.

Turns out, since I didn’t notify them that I left the state, they continued to charge tax on my vehicle.

Literally everywhere else I’ve lived (and that’s a lot of places since I used to move for work a lot) I just had to let the tag expire. as soon as I tagged it elsewhere, they didn’t seem to care.

I sent them the current registration in GA, but that wasn’t good enough. I had to go to the GA DMV, get the records from the first year I tagged my vehicle there, send it to VA, let them reassess the taxes and ended up owing them something like $40.

Ridiculous

I once got a call from my HR department that the VA was garnishing my wages for back taxes. I was confused as hell.

Turns out, since I didn’t notify them that I left the state, they continued to charge tax on my vehicle.

Literally everywhere else I’ve lived (and that’s a lot of places since I used to move for work a lot) I just had to let the tag expire. as soon as I tagged it elsewhere, they didn’t seem to care.

I sent them the current registration in GA, but that wasn’t good enough. I had to go to the GA DMV, get the records from the first year I tagged my vehicle there, send it to VA, let them reassess the taxes and ended up owing them something like $40.

Ridiculous
Ever been to the MVD, and they have like 15 windows, but only 7 clerks working those 15 windows? That's where the other 8 are - in the back offices, figuring out how to charge people who have died, sold their vehicle, or moved and don't live in your state anymore, for vehicle registrations to collect more cash...

Reactions: BoldlyGoing

Ridiculous
But in GA we have to be unique so we call it DDS:)

Have you ever been to the NY DMV? I would put them up against anyone as the worst

Ridiculous[/QUOTE]

I agree. I used to live there when I was in the military. When I was sent to SC I got SC plates and mailed the old tags to VA. Nope! They claimed they never got it and kept charging me for 2 years. I had to send a copy of the receipt from the USPS and that was not enough. By the way this is taking months that they were still billing me on. I finally had a friend of mine who just happened to be on the VA bar to call them up and basically strong arm them into dropping the whole damned thing. What a freaking screwed up DMV. I live in NC and hate it but not as bad as VA. SC was awesome and didn't charge me taxes on my Jeep there because I was military.