Collierh2017

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and would like your opinions on lifting my stock Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0 5spd. I bought it from my Grandfather(1st owner)last summer and love it so far, but it has low ground clearance so it scrapes all the time.

I'm low on money because I'm going to school full time the next 1.5yrs so I've been looking at cheap spring lift spacer kits for the time being. Like this 3"spacer https://www.extremeterrain.com/free...r-3-in-lift-spring-spacers-shock-spacers.html
they also got a 2".

I heard that I may also need shocks designed for a 2-3" lift kit so I was thinking about getting shock extensions or a set of Rancho 5000x(2-3" lift version).

I also read I may need longer bump stops.

*So I guess my question is if I get a cheap 3" spring lift spacer kit, is there anything else I will need besides new shocks/or extensions and longer bump stops?
What would you guys do if your budget was about $300?
Any and all opinions would be great.

It's not my daily I just drive it weekends and on monthly camping trips. I just want to be sure it will be safe on the highway and not handle too horribly w/a cheap lift. I also dont want to do anything that will be detrimental to any other parts of the vehicle.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Welcome!

I would not advise a 3" coil spacer. I advise no larger than a 1.75" spacer. And you will be told to measure for shocks.

I took a quick look at the Zone suspension site. You could buy the spacers and "their" nitro shocks listed for the 1.75" spacers for about 300$.

They claim a 32x11.50r15 tire fits.

Even with a 1.75" spacer your transfer case cross member may need to Slightly lowered to help the rear driveshaft not vibrate.

It will be a downhill spiral after you buy these first few parts and you be out of money from then on forward. But you will have a nice Jeep after 10's of thousands of dollars and countless hours doing shit over and over til you get it where you like it then change stuff again.

• Haha
Reactions: ColoJeep
well looking at that kit. it comes with 2 front coil spring spacers and 2 rear shock extensions. there must be another kit for the rear spring spacers and front shock extensions....

well looking at that kit. it comes with 2 front coil spring spacers and 2 rear shock extensions. there must be another kit for the rear spring spacers and front shock extensions....
Well this is what the description says:
  • Engineered to Provide 3 Inches of Front and Rear Lift And
  • Includes Front Coil and Rear Shock Spacers
How can it produce front and rear lift if it does not come with rear coil spacers and just shoct spacers?

Welcome!

I would not advise a 3" coil spacer. I advise no larger than a 1.75" spacer. And you will be told to measure for shocks.

I took a quick look at the Zone suspension site. You could buy the spacers and "their" nitro shocks listed for the 1.75" spacers for about 300$.

They claim a 32x11.50r15 tire fits.

Even with a 1.75" spacer your transfer case cross member may need to Slightly lowered to help the rear driveshaft not vibrate.

It will be a downhill spiral after you buy these first few parts and you be out of money from then on forward. But you will have a nice Jeep after 10's of thousands of dollars and countless hours doing shit over and over til you get it where you like it then change stuff again.
Thanks for the quick response!
Just checked the kit out and the shocks. Doesnt look bad. I'm going to need new tires soon and would love to fit 32s under there if their website is correct and they will fit without rubbing.

A couple friend's of mine want me to throw the 3" spacer kit I listed under there but I've heard people say that's the wrong way to lift your 4x4. So I'm not sure what to do. Hopefully I will get more knowledge in these forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
no problem, i used their shocks, everybody here says their shit but i haven't had any problem with them. but i dont try to jump tall buildings in a single bound with my jeep either.

no problem, i used their shocks, everybody here says their shit but i haven't had any problem with them. but i dont try to jump tall buildings in a single bound with my jeep either.
Looks like a good kit especially for the price. Did you have to adjust the transfer case cross member at all or adjust the drive shaft? Also I'm surprised 32s fit under there without rubbing since it's rated for 31s.

nope i did nothing but put the kit and shocks on. i did replace all the bushings while i had it apart though( track bar and sway bar). plan on changing the control arms soon. with 160k miles on mine i figured it would be good to go ahead and change them all out

Thanks for the quick response!
Just checked the kit out and the shocks. Doesnt look bad. I'm going to need new tires soon and would love to fit 32s under there if their website is correct and they will fit without rubbing.

A couple friend's of mine want me to throw the 3" spacer kit I listed under there but I've heard people say that's the wrong way to lift your 4x4. I just can't argue with them because I don't know anything about lifts. Hopefully I will get more knowledge in these forums.
No problem. I was trying to advise the minimal amount of lift to install slightly larger tires for you. Zone does get a little more love around here. Their nitro shocks are not bad. You could also just order any 1.75" spacer and some Rancho RS5000X shocks in the correct length.

But the right way to do that is measure how much travel your suspension has.

That's why I see why you would want a "kit" to start. And Zone is decent entry level stuff.

nope i did nothing but put the kit and shocks on. i did replace all the bushings while i had it apart though( track bar and sway bar). plan on changing the control arms soon. with 160k miles on mine i figured it would be good to go ahead and change them all out
I'm planning on keeping the stock 15" steel wheels on mine and fitting 32x11.5x15 tires on there. Will I have to add a spacer as well? To prevent them from rubbing on the inside when turning? I know the kit should prevent them from rubbing on the top, but not sure about the inside. Thanks for answering all my questions I'm new to all this.
And mine's the same way too. I just reached 140k and will need a bunch of bushings replaced and front end stuff soon as well.

if i were you i would go with 31's instead. only reason i have 32's is the previous owner had just put them on there when i bought it and they did rub the flares so i added the 2in. lift. when they wear out i will go to 31's. mine has the 3.07 gears and it drags it down on highway. if you have 3.73's you might be ok with 32's and yes mine has wheel spacers on it i think 1 1/2 in.

I'm tired of looking at these ;) . Interested? I believe that they are Rubicon Express but am not sure. They're in pretty good shape. They were on my jeep when I bought it. I never measured them when they were installed so I cant be sure without more research but I believe that they are 3" lift. I have to ship something tomorrow and could see what a "flat ship" box will cost. They ran 33s before with very slight contact on my rear flair at full articulation.
20210131_151331.jpg
Just want them to go to a good home or back to their home as mine is an AZ jeep. Is installation a project you feel like taking on?
You'd need shocks but something like appropriately sized Rancho 5000x could be pretty affordable. Extended sway bar links. Likely a transfer case drop as well, also affordable. Maybe some others will chime in with an opinion if this is a good idea for you. No pressure. PM me if you want.

I'm tired of looking at these ;) . Interested? I believe that they are Rubicon Express but am not sure. They're in pretty good shape. They were on my jeep when I bought it. I never measured them when they were installed so I cant be sure without more research but I believe that they are 3" lift. I have to ship something tomorrow and could see what a "flat ship" box will cost. They ran 33s before with very slight contact on my rear flair at full articulation. View attachment 230768Just want them to go to a good home or back to their home as mine is an AZ jeep. Is installation a project you feel like taking on?
You'd need shocks but something like appropriately sized Rancho 5000x could be pretty affordable. Extended sway bar links. Likely a transfer case drop as well, also affordable. Maybe some others will chime in with an opinion if this is a good idea for you. No pressure. PM me if you want.
If the OP is still set on pucks.....I’d send him my 2” after you sent me these :)

The only way to get the Diff centers off the ground is with bigger tires. 33 inch or 35 inch. Find out what your gearing is first of all, then check the laws in your state about lift kit hights.

If you're going to be driving along 90% flat ground and then want to be able to clear some 1 ft high rocks that are in your path, having tall tires like 35's is the way to go. If you need to go up and down all sort of muddy rocky hills with water crossing and logs and god knows what else.... thats where lift kits, body lifts, etc come into play.

Reactions: MichaelGH
I'm tired of looking at these ;) . Interested? I believe that they are Rubicon Express but am not sure. They're in pretty good shape. They were on my jeep when I bought it. I never measured them when they were installed so I cant be sure without more research but I believe that they are 3" lift. I have to ship something tomorrow and could see what a "flat ship" box will cost. They ran 33s before with very slight contact on my rear flair at full articulation. View attachment 230768Just want them to go to a good home or back to their home as mine is an AZ jeep. Is installation a project you feel like taking on?
Hi thanks a lot. I will PM you.