Sell my LJ and buy a TJ?

LJ in Omaha

Supporting Member
Looking for opinions so let them fly. I currently have a 2006 LJ with manual transmission and just over 55,000 miles. I looked long and hard to find a clean TJ but couldn’t find anything local that wasn’t a bucket of rust. I happened to find the LJ in Colorado Springs about 3 years ago. Since then I have retired and my old F150 beater finally died. I had been thinking about getting another pickup but we really don’t need or want 3 vehicles. My wife will not consider driving a manual so the LJ is not an option for her. With the insane prices I have been seeing for LJ’s lately I have been cosidering selling my LJ and finding a TJ with an automatic. Wife could drive it the couple of times a week that she needs to go somewhere and it would be our daily driver. I could then find another pickup for a second vehicle for those hauling jobs that seem to come up. So am I batshit crazy for thinking of selling my LJ? So should I:
(1) sell the LJ and buy a TJ, then trade her car for a truck ?
(2) keep The LJ and trade her car for a truck and tell her to walk if she doesn’t like it (this option could cause my life to suck😂)?
(3) sell the LJ and trade her car for a new Wrangler, buy older truck?
(4) other ideas?

LJ, I was in a similar situation 10 years ago and we just decided to go with three vehicles. My wife is driving a 2000 VW Golf TDI as her DD and I drive my Jeep LJR. The GC is used for long distance travel only. If I need a truck to haul something, I rent one from National for a day, which is cheaper than buying one.

Can you get a small utility trailer for the hauling jobs that pop up? Better than a truck for those jobs imo.

Selling your current LJ and buying a TJ would incur sales tax here and wipe out some of your LJ profits.

You can't find an LJ in Illinois at any price in my area. My son has a TJ but was looking for an LJ to do cross country road trips, if you do sell it you show get big $ with that low of a mileage. Maybe you could post it as a trade for a TJ and cash?

Reactions: skrelnik
I’d keep the LJ in a heartbeat.

Is the wife not able to drive a stick, or does she just not want to?

If the former, I’d teach her to drive a stick and keep the LJ.

If I was only driving on the street, I would much prefer the stick.

Last edited:
If the value of the extra space of the LJ over the TJ doesn’t mean much to you, then I would sell the LJ in favor of something you both can drive.

I’d keep the LJ in a heartbeat.

Is the wife not able to drive a stick, or does she just not want to?

If the former, I’d teach her to drive a stick and keep the JL.

If I was only driving on the street, I would much prefer the stick.
She can drive a stick, but now just does not want to.

If the value of the extra space of the LJ over the TJ doesn’t mean much to you, then I would sell the LJ in favor of something you both can drive.
The extra room doesn’t mean as much now as it did when i was taking the grandkids to their sporting events. Now they are in high school and drive themselves so usually it is just me and occasionally both me and the wife.

Alternative option:

- Sell LJ

- Hold onto the money while you figure out your next vehicle.

- Rent a uhaul/Home Depot truck or borrow a truck for the occasional hauls until you figure out your next vehicle.

Looking for opinions so let them fly. I currently have a 2006 LJ with manual transmission and just over 55,000 miles. I looked long and hard to find a clean TJ but couldn’t find anything local that wasn’t a bucket of rust. I happened to find the LJ in Colorado Springs about 3 years ago. Since then I have retired and my old F150 beater finally died. I had been thinking about getting another pickup but we really don’t need or want 3 vehicles. My wife will not consider driving a manual so the LJ is not an option for her. With the insane prices I have been seeing for LJ’s lately I have been cosidering selling my LJ and finding a TJ with an automatic. Wife could drive it the couple of times a week that she needs to go somewhere and it would be our daily driver. I could then find another pickup for a second vehicle for those hauling jobs that seem to come up. So am I batshit crazy for thinking of selling my LJ? So should I:
(1) sell the LJ and buy a TJ, then trade her car for a truck ?
(2) keep The LJ and trade her car for a truck and tell her to walk if she doesn’t like it (this option could cause my life to suck😂)?
(3) sell the LJ and trade her car for a new Wrangler, buy older truck?
(4) other ideas?

The wife will most likely not like driving the TJ and you will end up in a bad situation. I think you need THREE cars as it appears you want two cars for yourself and nothing for your wife.

My neighbor just came home with a 2022 Wrangler 4XE, for $60k plus tax, title and tags. I don't think I would spend that much on a Wrangler unless I had endless money. It's a $35k vehicle for a $60k price tag.

Keep the LJ, buy another beater truck, and trade your wife's car in for what she wants. Maybe she wants nothing special so you can get a better truck. What does your wife want to drive, did you ask her?

Reactions: BlueC
LJ, I was in a similar situation 10 years ago and we just decided to go with three vehicles. My wife is driving a 2000 VW Golf TDI as her DD and I drive my Jeep LJR. The GC is used for long distance travel only. If I need a truck to haul something, I rent one from National for a day, which is cheaper than buying one.
The renting a truck or trailer might be a good way to go. Then I could keep my LJ and trade her car for a newer wrangler with an automatic. I really think she would enjoy driving a wrangler. 🤔

The best option: Keep her car, keep your jeep, and buy a decent old truck for truck stuff. Then you're happy, she's happy, and y'all now have a backup vehicle for when one, or both, other vehicles are down.

My neighbor just came home with a 2022 Wrangler 4XE, for $60k plus tax, title and tags. I don't think I would spend that much on a Wrangler unless I had endless money. It's a $35k vehicle for a $60k price tag.

My neighbor just did the same thing. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I'm really not interested in it. They won't keep it through its first set of tires, so I won't get to see how it holds up.

The wife will most likely not like driving the TJ and you will end up in a bad situation. I think you need THREE cars as it appears you want two cars for yourself and nothing for your wife.

Keep the LJ, buy another beater truck, and trade your wife's car in for what she wants. Maybe she wants nothing special so you can get a better truck. What does your wife want to drive, did you ask her
Ask her what she wants. Don’t buy her what you think she wants.
She really likes the TJ’s/LJ’s to ride in just won’t drive a manual anymore. I would definitely let her get some seat time driving one in an automatic before we made a decision. I have been married a long time and know not to think for her, learned that lesson in the first year of marriage and have remembered it for the following 42 years.