Sell my LJ and buy a TJ?

She really likes the TJ’s/LJ’s to ride in just won’t drive a manual anymore. I would definitely let her get some seat time driving one in an automatic before we made a decision. I have been married a long time and know not to think for her, learned that lesson in the first year of marriage and have remembered it for the following 42 years.

I try to keep her happy but she says I do a piss poor job of it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

From this thread I tend to agree with your wife. Just ask her what she wants to drive for a daily. My wife will not drive my LJ at all, she'd rather drive a pick-up or real SUV. The new Wrangler is not very exciting, especially at that price tag. I think one can do a lot better.

My neighbor just did the same thing. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I'm really not interested in it. They won't keep it through its first set of tires, so I won't get to see how it holds up.

Funny! My neighbor wanted a Bronco but none are available in our area. I actually think this dealer in PA scooped them up.

This auto group has about 40 Broncos (including the sport version) in stock and I think they have around 100 RAM TRXs on their lot.

http://www.chapmanautogroup.com/new-ford-bronco-pa

From this thread I tend to agree with your wife. Just ask her what she wants to drive for a daily. My wife will not drive my LJ at all, she'd rather drive a pick-up or real SUV. The new Wrangler is not very exciting, especially at that price tag. I think one can do a lot better.

Funny! My neighbor wanted a Bronco but none are available in our area. I actually think this dealer in PA scooped them up.

This auto group has about 40 Broncos (including the sport version) in stock and I think they have around 100 RAM TRXs on their lot.

http://www.chapmanautogroup.com/new-ford-bronco-pa
Sounds like my wife is a little different than your wife, she gave me the green light on a new gladiator after she test drove one. We priced out what we would want and both said no way, could not justify the price. That’s what got me thinking about a good condition TJ with an automatic, that and the obscene prices I have been seeing LJ’s selling for. She doesn’t really need a daily just something to get to the store a couple of times a week. As much as I like a manual I could live with an automatic as our daily driver with a beater for me to use if she should want to go somewhere.

Reactions: John Cooper
If you're planning on selling the LJ to buy another vehicle its current high value will just be erased by the high value of anything you buy. Jeep's have historically held their value better than most other vehicles. Unless you know the exact car/truck that you want I'd hold on to the LJ and just get a utility trailer. If fuel prices stay high you might find a great deal on a gas thirsty truck next year. The Jeep will remain in the toy category and while the prices may go down it will still have a comparatively high value.

Reactions: skrelnik
The wife and I have have 5 vehicles to get the job done.
Mazda3 good for long distance driving @34 mpg.
Mustang V-6 good long distance for two @ 27 mpg.
MBZ W164 hauls 4 adults in comfort @ 20 mpg,
TJ unlimited Rubicon out and about back country driving and long distance road trips where never know where you will go @ 14 mpg,
Chevy C20 Hauling gravel towing trailers and Home Depot runs @11mpg.

Cars are like tools you need the right one for each job.

Build, buy or rent a trailer as needed.
And then get your dear Mrs. a classic CJ 5 or CJ 7 with an automatic and a heated seat upgrade of course.
Let her show it off for those couple of days a week.
My Wife would love to have another ol’ school VW Bug. Except for the old basket weave vinyl seats. And at least she knows how to work on it.

Last edited:
I have a hard time recommending a 20+ year old vehicle as dependable transportation. You can make them so, but something will come up. Y'all are retired. Keep the Jeep for fun stuff, and get something newer and ostensibly more reliable for her to run for groceries, go to Dr appointments, etc.

One of the phone calls I NEVER want to get is the, "Honey, I'm broke down." Call. That is something I personally will go to great lengths to avoid. I don't want her to ever have to worry about her car not starting, or breaking down on the highway.

Reactions: mastergunnera8