SEM Trim or Rust Tough to paint for a bumper?

Dunkut88TJ

Living the Dream
Supporting Member
Which paint would you go with to paint a bumper? I have done my frame with the rust tough, but I’m not sure about a “semi flat” finish?

Thoughts?
image.jpg

Did mine in a satin, am happy with it, next time will use semi-gloss. I think a semi-flat would look a bit blah, but its your jeep, make it the way you want.
That was my thought, it’s ok for the underside, but not upfront. The only reason I even asked was because I have the paint and am being cheap 😂😂

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I did my bumpers with Rustoleum self-etching primer followed by a coat or two of Rustoleum satin-black and all looked and held up great. It's a bumper, nothing special or expensive is needed.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ and Irun
I did my bumpers with Rustoleum self-etching primer followed by a coat or two of Rustoleum satin-black and all looked and held up great. It's a bumper, nothing special or expensive is needed.
That’s my plan, I saw where you said this on the “rattle can” thread and smacked myself for posting something so similar! 🤣

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have been using the SEM trim paint on stuff on the current TJ I’m working on. I think it’s got a good finish color for lots of items like bumpers/trim/etc. I have done my hard top and front frame cover with it so far. I have currently have color matched flares but May swap those out with some stock ones I have laying around and paint them with the SEM trim paint as well. It also lays down pretty even (not that other astonish/flat paints won’t)

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I have been using the SEM trim paint on stuff on the current TJ I’m working on. I think it’s got a good finish color for lots of items like bumpers/trim/etc. I have done my hard top and front frame cover with it so far. I have currently have color matched flares but May swap those out with some stock ones I have laying around and paint them with the SEM trim paint as well. It also lays down pretty even (not that other astonish/flat paints won’t)
It was great for my mirrors and the “fins” on my full doors; just wasn’t sure about the bumper. I’ll probably save it for something nicer and go with the rustoleum Jerry mentioned above