Share Your Bonehead Moves

NevadaMike

TJ Enthusiast
have you done a boneheaded move? Share it here.

Ill start. The PO of the Jeep Wrangler TJ removed the fog lights from the bumper for some reason. I was looking at some led cube lights to put in their place. They come with an adapter so it’s plug and play; no splicing required. I see the factory fog light switch inside, but the light on the switch never turns on no matter what position it’s in. I check the fuse box under the hood to see if the fuse is blown. Non of the fuses are marked what they are for and I don’t have an owners manual. So I get online and find out the fuse for the fog lights is in a fuse box behind the glove box. I look at the fuse and it’s ok. I decide to move onto another project before I start rating into it chasing wires to see if the PO repurposed the switch for something else. I hop into the Jeep and head to the store to get something and since it’s now getting dark out I turn on the headlights. As soon as I do that the light on the fog light switch comes on. I forgot the headlights need to be on fir the fog lights to work. :ROFLMAO:

Now it’s your turn to share.

We used to have an empire, all we are left with now is acting as global English language pedants :ROFLMAO:
It is too bad you aren't a mechanical pedant, you could explain things to him in a language he understands since God knows he don't get it from our explanations.
PS I think you mean other’s, God damn it just can’t help myself :ROFLMAO:
Forgivable, this time.

I installed led tails and when I went to change the flasher I look under the dash by the pedals and there it was. But for some reason it was still doing the fast blinkers. It turns out if you put the flasher in the right place by the steering column it works. Thankfully Blaine was there to call me a fucking idiot and set me straight

So many in the year since I've had this Jeep and some with my first Jeep. Long story short, tried to play in the woods with my first Jeep before playing in a hockey game. Got it stuck in mud and had to abandon it overnight. My gf at the time, wife now, was coming to see me play for the first time. She drove me home and Jeepers from nearby QVC pulled me out the next day. I was in my early 20s and dumb(er).

I always have my SLR camera about when I'm working on the Jeep, to take pix for my website. I used to set it on the front bumper a LOT. Yes, you see this coming...

Hopped in the Jeep to drive it somewhere, about a mile from the house, I stop at a stop sign that's on a downward slope. Hear a strange sound of something falling, didn't know what it was. Pull forward, and see something in the road behind me. I *still* hadn't figured it out. I turned around pulled up next to the thing, see that its my camera, get out and grab it, then pull over to look for the rest of it. The battery and the CF card both had come out. Found the battery, never did find the CF card.

Thank Goddess no other cars came along while this fiasco was in progress! The cheap, kit lens was destroyed - thankfully I didn't have one of my expen$ive lenses on the thing at the time. The battery door was broken off, so I bought a parts camera for $20 and fixed it - and bought another camera from the same line for $60 to have a backup, and that camera also came with a lens to replace the one that was destroyed.

BONE. HEAD.

Now I *NEVER* leave the thing on the front bumper...

Reactions: NevadaMike
I always have my SLR camera about when I'm working on the Jeep, to take pix for my website. I used to set it on the front bumper a LOT. Yes, you see this coming...

Hopped in the Jeep to drive it somewhere, about a mile from the house, I stop at a stop sign that's on a downward slope. Hear a strange sound of something falling, didn't know what it was. Pull forward, and see something in the road behind me. I *still* hadn't figured it out. I turned around pulled up next to the thing, see that its my camera, get out and grab it, then pull over to look for the rest of it. The battery and the CF card both had come out. Found the battery, never did find the CF card.

Thank Goddess no other cars came along while this fiasco was in progress! The cheap, kit lens was destroyed - thankfully I didn't have one of my expen$ive lenses on the thing at the time. The battery door was broken off, so I bought a parts camera for $20 and fixed it - and bought another camera from the same line for $60 to have a backup, and that camera also came with a lens to replace the one that was destroyed.

BONE. HEAD.

Now I *NEVER* leave the thing on the front bumper...
My helper had a very bad habit of laying his black smartphone in its black protective case on top of black winches when we were working on rigs. He no longer does that with the new phone.