Tj04

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,

Can a 2005-2006 tj shift bezel be used on a 2004 tj? I've got the 5 speed, put a body lift in and can't use 2nd 4th and reverse. I don't want to cut up the dash or run with no boot.

I got a leather shift boot but i just found out they don't fit the plastic 04 and earlier bezels, need to know if I can buy a 05-06 shift bezel and will it just fit in the center console or did they change it? Seems on eBay I belive people say 2002-2006 dash is the same but I don't trust them most of the time. Thanks.

You would be better off looking at changing the shifter. When I lifted my 02, there was a rubber collar on the shift lever that kept me out of 2&4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

For me it's just the rubber boot. I really am wanting to know if the shift bezel is interchangeable for other years. I'll look into the replacing the shifter but I'd rather get an 05-06 shift bezel since I bought the leather boot.

Glad you found a write-up on the leather shift boot mod. I think they look so much better. If you figure this out it will be a great addition to the forum

JMT do you want me to do a write up? That link I found was pretty straight forward. I tried tugging on the sides and it seems sturdy enough. Hopefully it will take -20F during winter and 100F or so during summer. I'll just use epoxy if the glue doesn't stick. I hate hot glue! Will post picture of it on Jeep if I have time.

IMG_2484.JPG

See what @Chris thinks. Maybe you could modify it so we can put it on our forum, with credit given. Or just borrow it and give credit. It would be a good for the "How-To" section. Chris wants to have a one place for all TJ stuff...

Reactions: Chris
I had some spare vinyl laying around from a boat project, and sewed my own. I kept the bottom attached to the retainer by sewing a loop into the bottom of the 4 pannels of the boot and running some binder twine through the loops. Tied it tight around the retainer, and voila...shift boot. I think I have some pictures somewhere...I could do a more complete write-up if necessary. @Chris Do you want a "How to make your own Shifter boot" thread?

Reactions: Chris
Just wanted to post an update, seems to fit fine. I like it. Going to use he hand throttle as a stop to keep part of the shifter tube exposed. Please pardon the tools and garbage; jeep is in "work in progress" mode.

IMG_2485.JPG

Last edited:
All you need to do to get it into 2nd, 4th and reverse after a body lift is slide the entire console back about 1/2". Takes about 20 minutes to complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin E
Thanks but my question was about fitting a later model boot and bezel I'm aware of other methods like bending the shifter and moving the dash. I may still end up moving the dash back as well, but I'm satisfied with the leather boot.

@Chris is fairly confident that the 05-06 shift bezel WILL fit a 2004 center console as the part number is the same. I am going to order one soon and will report back. I think it will look better and hold up better in the long run.

Yep, I'd be willing to bet it fits right on. The consoles are the same, so there's no reason it shouldn't fit.

Reactions: CodaMan
As a note to all who ponder the same thing, the 05-06 center console is NOT the same. The shift bezel is way bigger than the 02-04 and does not snap in at all. Bummer. Guess I'll be buying an 05-06 center console.

Anyone know if the back half of the center console is the same 02-04 and 05-06?

I have an 05 with the leather shift boot and bezel but I think I'm missing a piece that goes under leather not to attach to the bezel and counsel. Does anyone know what it's called and where I can get it?