Shifter is broken

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So my brother told me (and I saw today) that the shifter has a problem.

It won't shift out of park, so he did some looking and apparently these anal-beads looking thing inside the shifter broke. He also tells me this is common.

What do I need to replace to get the shifter functional again? Currently we have a mechanical pencil jammed down the tube and while functional, it's not something I want to live with for very long.

Is there something other than a chopstick that I could get?... Like a metal rod or something?

You could use a metal rod if you found some you could cut down to the right length. But the chopstick won’t break, so I figure it’s just as good.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I was just hoping there was an aftermarket solution I could buy that would permanently fix the issue is all. Jamming a chopstick down there just seems so inelegant. Plus wood degrades over time, I figured I'd just end up replacing the chopstick too eventually.

There is no aftermarket solution.

That chopstick will last the life of your vehicle, I can guarantee that.

If you want to fashion up a metal rod, go for it. But the chopstick works for me!

I was just hoping there was an aftermarket solution I could buy that would permanently fix the issue is all. Jamming a chopstick down there just seems so inelegant. Plus wood degrades over time, I figured I'd just end up replacing the chopstick too eventually.

It may not be the solution you are looking for, but I have seen on several occasions plastic chopsticks available for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, you can get plastic chopsticks as well.

Or just go to Home Depot or something and find some sort of aluminum stock and cut it down to the right length. Whatever you want to do, but it's definitely an easy fix.

I'd avoid aluminum if you get something that's a tight fit to start with due to possible sticking of the dissimilar metals.(however unlikely) Stainless would do the trick though. Mild steel would be fine if the fit was loose like aluminium however if it was tight it could rust in place.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Didn't work. Part is too long. Going to a dealer on Tuesday to get a part number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HOLY SHIT.

Just called a dealer and if he's talking about the same part as me, $187 for the stinking part.

No fucking way am I spending that.

HOLY SHIT.

Just called a dealer and if he's talking about the same part as me, $187 for the stinking part.

No fucking way am I spending that.
That's why people use a chop stick. Grab a pair, keep an extra in the glove box if you are worried about failure.

I'm going to send Jeep an angry e-mail and see if I can buy the part from them - and I don't care if they don't read it (anyone get the reference?... hehe).

Fast Forward to 2:10

Send Jeep the email. It is now Fiat, and I doubt they care about a past Chrysler problem.
There is no part to buy except the complete shift assembly.
Put the replacement piece of your liking in the shifter and be done with it.
There is absolutely no reason for anyone to spend $187 on a shifter assembly, tear your center console apart, and replace the shifter with the same faulty part inside.
My chopstick fix has been working perfectly for over 10 years. It shifts as good as it did new. There is no way to tell it is even in there without popping the handle off, which I have not had to do since I fixed it.

If you lived close to me, I would fix it for you for only $185, save you 2 bucks and the tax!
Just kidding, I would do it for free it's so quick and easy.

I'm going to send Jeep an angry e-mail and see if I can buy the part from them - and I don't care if they don't read it (anyone get the reference?... hehe).

Fast Forward to 2:10

Lol you could fast forward for the reference but it's so worth watching all of it.

I cut up a flexible plastic coat hanger to fix mine, I cut some extras too and threw them in my spare parts box I carry in the Jeep in case it happens to someone else on the trail. A plastic coat hanger has enough flex to make the bend without problem. You just need to whittle down the tip diameter a small amount so it fits inside its hole in the shift knob handle. It works very well.

Lol you could fast forward for the reference but it's so worth watching all of it.

Aside from the slow-mo bullshit - that got annoying fast. But any OG UK TopGear clip is worth watching. Absolutely LOVE that show.