Shiny New AX-15

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Since completing resto on my Son's 99 sport last year the trans has been a noisy sore spot and he had enough so he ordered up a new AX-15 from Advanced Adapters almost 6 months ago that arrived last week. Should be out for a road test later today.

Update, just going over the old one and found an 1/8 in slop in the input shaft with the output not much better. Bearings pretty much toast.

Newtrans.jpg

Last edited:
Since completing resto on my Son's 99 sport last year the trans has been a noisy sore spot and he had enough so he ordered up a new AX-15 from Advanced Adapters almost 6 months ago that arrived last week. Should be out for a road test later today.

Update, just going over the old one and found an 1/8 in slop in the input shaft with the output not much better. Bearings pretty much toast.

View attachment 489250

Looks great. I purchased a new AX-15 in 2007 at that time it was only $795.00 It was a no brainer then. Man how prices have gone up.

How does the new tranny shift? I had a new one installed under aftermarket warranty back in '05 and it's always been slower to shift than I remember the OEM unit being. Nothing terrible that a normal person would care about, but if you were trying to shift in a spirited manner no sane TJ driver would do, it won't let you super fast. No grinding or anything, just no snick snack quick or slamming it in to second.

How does the new tranny shift? I had a new one installed under aftermarket warranty back in '05 and it's always been slower to shift than I remember the OEM unit being. Nothing terrible that a normal person would care about, but if you were trying to shift in a spirited manner no sane TJ driver would do, it won't let you super fast. No grinding or anything, just no snick snack quick or slamming it in to second.

It's nice to get that smooth solid detent sensation when shifting and she just slides right in., highly recommend lol.