Shock recommendations

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
01 TJ Sport
31x12.5 BFGs, stock height. Front driver shock is broken so needing to replace. Any recommendations? I notice a few different model numbers for same brands that all supposedly fit. Rancho, Monroe, rough country, etc. Doesn't see much trail use yet, but when I replace stuff I try to beef it up. Did the tie rids, control arms, etc and went with the beefier drag link?

Last edited:
01 TJ Sport
31x12.5 BFGs, stock height. Front driver shock is broken so needing to replace. Any recommendations? I notice a few different model numbers for same brands that all supposedly fit. Rancho, Monroe, rough country, etc. Doesn't see much trail use yet, but when I replace stuff I try to beef it up. Did the tie rids, control arms, etc and went with the beefier drag link?

Off the shelf shocks for TJ’s re bad, badder, and baddest. Pick your poison.

Off the shelf shocks for TJ’s re bad, badder, and baddest. Pick your poison.

From what I see some of the more recommended like fox are for lifted jeeps. Still looking up the one's. Another issue is need this back up and going Monday morning when daughter is back in town. I can get the ranchos locally. Debating on stepping up from the 5000s to the 9000s.... anyone?

Are the black Maxx supposed to be better? If I can find a Napa with them in stock, they might be local option.

Looks like I should add, she runs the hardtop most of the time, but sports the soft top during the summer and only has full doors so far. I see people posting heavy or light jeeps.

Rancho 5000x are very nice for the money.

That's what I'm gathering. Just curious if the 9000s are worth the extra or not necessarily.

I can afford to spend more.... not sure Fox are justifiable for now for how it's used. Not to mention I don't think they are local and I need to get this broken shock fixed asap. But I another ~$50 wouldn't break me if it's worthwhile and cost effective. Of course don't need to spend to spend either.

From what I see some of the more recommended like fox are for lifted jeeps. Still looking up the one's. Another issue is need this back up and going Monday morning when daughter is back in town. I can get the ranchos locally. Debating on stepping up from the 5000s to the 9000s.... anyone?

Are the black Maxx supposed to be better? If I can find a Napa with them in stock, they might be local option.

My experience with Rancho ( and possibly other "bargain" shocks) is that they are inconsistent. I would highly recommend checking the damping before you install, or better yet, before you leave the store.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-rancho-rs5000x-issues-thread.76240/

No, if the 5000x is bad, the 9000x is badder. Fox? Don’t make me laugh. And don’t get me wrong. Fox makes a great shock, but the bolt on Fox shocks for our rigs ride very stiff and jolty.

If I were you I’d go with Skyjacker BlackMax.

If I were me I’d outboard and go with a tunable remote reservoir Fox shock.

No, if the 5000x is bad, the 9000x is badder. Fox? Don’t make me laugh. And don’t get me wrong. Fox makes a great shock, but the bolt on Fox shocks for our rigs ride very stiff and jolty.

If I were you I’d go with Skyjacker BlackMax.

If I were me I’d outboard and go with a tunable remote reservoir Fox shock.

You need these ;)
1713535262103.png

If you would, can you elaborate on your setup? Hardtop, lots of gear, winch, etc? Just curious about how much weight you've got sitting on them. Thanks

Yes to all of those. I'm right around 4,300 lbs. I'll double check that on the scales down the street later today.

I've blown up two rear shocks. Probably from overloading on a trip off-road to Montana.

Second time might have been a failure to set bump stops or clearance my rear spring perches. I don't blame Skyjacker/Black Max.

-Mac

01 TJ Sport

Don't buy rough country unless you like back pain. Heard the springs are alright, but as for shocks it's a no go.

OK, I'm gathering that rough country isn't the way to go. I'm getting that rancho is a hit/miss sort of thing. Monroe?

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally game for looking for something nicer. The issue is availability. I have a broken shock on my daughters daily. She's a college student running back and forth to school and rowing daily. Weekends are hit/miss if she's home. I don't need her running the streets for a week or two on this broken shock. She's out of town rowing this weekend, so I have her Jeep on the lift ready to work on.

So...do I order some nice shocks? Maybe run to parts store and buy a basic cheapy to put on until I get better ones in? Don't need super heavy duty off road shocks, but I don't mind spending a bit of money. $400 per shock seems steep IMO for her needs, but if a cheapy/budget shock is $130-150, I can 100% afford to spend more. I want the thing safe and don't really want to have issues and I've told her NEVER sell...you'll regret!