Shocks for the wife's XJ: Rancho RS5000X?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
The wife's '96 XJ 2-door needs shocks. Everyone loves the Rancho RS5000X on their TJs. Do you think they would be an equally good choice for the XJ? Not sure of the weight difference between the XJ and the TJ, which could potentially be a factor, I guess. Any thoughts on the matter, folks?

Good question. I would try them since the XJ and TJ are very close in weight, within a couple hundred pounds if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Squatch
I'm likely going to go that route. The little rig has 173,000 miles on it, and the shocks look to be original!
You are so mean to your wife.... making her dive with old warn out shocks......

Sounds like me. I hardly ever drive my wifes car. When i do i end up working on it. I always find the stuff that she forgets to mention. Like oh my car makes a popping sound when i go over a speed bump.

You are so mean to your wife.... making her dive with old warn out shocks......

Sounds like me. I hardly ever drive my wifes car. When i do i end up working on it. I always find the stuff that she forgets to mention. Like oh my car makes a popping sound when i go over a speed bump.
Yup. She would drive it into the ground if I didn't take it for a spin now and then to determine its needs. She thinks I do so because I love her, when actually, it's just in my nature to try and take care of our mechanical chariots. Maintenance and repairs are still cheaper than new car payments!

Reactions: Boinked
Yup. She would drive it into the ground if I didn't take it for a spin now and then to determine its needs. She thinks I do so because I love her, when actually, it's just in my nature to try and take care of our mechanical chariots. Maintenance and repairs are still cheaper than new car payments!
A men brother

I went ahead and ordered a set of the Rancho RS5000X shocks, along with the accompanying steering stabilizer. Looking forward to seeing how they perform. Last week, I removed, cleaned-up and reinstalled the neutral safety switch to get her back-up lights working, installed LED bulbs for the back-up lights, and installed a new muffler and tailpipe. At least I got to work on a Jeep, even if it wasn't my TJ. ;)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Good to know. Gotta say, @Chris, I sure wish you'd start an XJ forum. I have little doubt it'd be as good as this one, and I could get the advice and information I need all through one source. ;)

I hear ya. So many useful threads on NAXJA, that forum is just cluttered to hell and hard to find what you’re looking for.

I used to have a gorgeous XJ too... wish I still had it!

Good question. I would try them since the XJ and TJ are very close in weight, within a couple hundred pounds if I recall correctly.

According to Edmunds, '96 XJs run from 2,905 to 3,115 lbs. '97 TJs (as there are no '96 Wranglers) are 3,073lbs.

(I know @Squatch already ordered, but I thought I'd post this information for future reference in case this thread comes up in a search.)

Reactions: Rob5589 and Squatch
I went ahead and ordered a set of the Rancho RS5000X shocks, along with the accompanying steering stabilizer. Looking forward to seeing how they perform. Last week, I removed, cleaned-up and reinstalled the neutral safety switch to get her back-up lights working, installed LED bulbs for the back-up lights, and installed a new muffler and tailpipe. At least I got to work on a Jeep, even if it wasn't my TJ. ;)

Squatch, got a link to the LEDs you used on the XJ? Thinking I'd like to upgrade my Son's as well, now that I did my LJ. One more week and he starts driving the XJ on his own! :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepZilla380
According to Edmunds, '96 XJs run from 2,905 to 3,115 lbs. '97 TJs (as there are no '96 Wranglers) are 3,073lbs.

(I know @Squatch already ordered, but I thought I'd post this information for future reference in case this thread comes up in a search.)
Cool! Thank you for that. I guess the major difference, then, will be the XJ's parallel leaf spring set-up vs. the TJ's coils. I have a sneaking suspicion that these shocks will work just fine. Looking forward to feeling the difference in the ride. :thumbsup:

Cool! Thank you for that. I guess the major difference, then, will be the XJ's parallel leaf spring set-up vs. the TJ's coils. I have a sneaking suspicion that these shocks will work just fine. Looking forward to feeling the difference in the ride. :thumbsup:
/insert thats what she said joke.

Shocks and steering stabilizer arrived yesterday. Hoping the weather plays nice this weekend so I can get them installed on the wife's rig. Really wanting to know how much of a difference they'll make.

Very curious to see what you think about these.

ps: My neighbor has a '89 truck. Same as yours!

So, I just finished putting the RS5000X shocks on the wife's XJ, along with the new Rancho steering stabilizer. Wow! What a difference! No more jarring jolts when you encounter road imperfections. Much smoother ride. I'm exceptionally pleased with 'em, and can't wait for the wife to drive it (she's out with the daughter, shopping). The stuff I pulled off was either the original equipment (!!!), or had been replaced with original Chrysler parts (seems unlikely). So imagine the difference when the 173,000 mile parts are replaced with these Ranchos. Night and day, for sure. Admittedly, almost any brand would have likely been an improvement over the worn out OEM equipment, but be that as it may, these Ranchos ride sweet. Very nice.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Squatch that's great to hear. Would you consider them for your TJ as well, now that you've had first hand experience?

So, I just finished putting the RS5000X shocks on the wife's XJ, along with the new Rancho steering stabilizer. Wow! What a difference! No more jarring jolts when you encounter road imperfections. Much smoother ride. I'm exceptionally pleased with 'em, and can't wait for the wife to drive it (she's out with the daughter, shopping). The stuff I pulled off was either the original equipment (!!!), or had been replaced with original Chrysler parts (seems unlikely). So imagine the difference when the 173,000 mile parts are replaced with these Ranchos. Night and day, for sure. Admittedly, almost any brand would have likely been an improvement over the worn out OEM equipment, but be that as it may, these Ranchos ride sweet. Very nice.:thumbsup:
Did they look like this

20180721_135859.jpg