Shopping for a 3 inch lift

Search around the forum for discussions of the Zone Offroad kits. Several people are running them (myself included) and we all seem very pleased. They make a 3" lift (Here) that's not too bad on the wallet, or you can package it with a BL and MML to install later on to get to 4.25" of total lift.

I installed my list with a simple bottle jack, a set of harbor freight Jack stands, and no helper (unfortunately). Very doable. If necessary to get the springs in and out, AutoZone and the others will rent you a spring compressor for free.

Reactions: Sancho
Although I've yet to take mine offroad, I've just installed the MetalCloak 3.5" Rocksport with the dual rate springs. The very first thing I noticed is how much like stock it rides (my previous TJ didn't have very good on-road manners) I did also install the Daystar body mount kit which gives a 1" body lift but I also did a tummy tuck using a Barnes 4wd 2" skid plate (also included the 1" daystar motor mounts).
IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

Anyway, without having any offroad experience with this setup yet I can tell you that I'm very pleased with the on road manners.

The MetalCloak kit is quite complete with sway bar links, both front and rear trackbars, 8 adjustable control arms, shocks, brake line extensions (front), adjustable bump stops, etc. I found it easy to install and as already mentioned I used (big) jack stands to support the frame during the build.
IMG_2971.JPG

Sounds like good advice. Once I find the kit I'm looking for adding this sounds like a no brainer. My only issue is that I do not have a lift in my garage, so I have to decide if I can pull it off with a hydraulic jack and jack stands.

I just did a full metalcloak double adjustable 3.5 front 4.5 rear in the garage on 6 ton stands....6 tons give you more height obviously and you can pick up a set for 35 40 bucks at harbor freight

20190419_171254.jpg

20190419_171246.jpg

If your looking for bargain, the MC will be out if your price range. Look at zone lift as others have said, as it seems to fit your needs

3" is an oddball size. The only 3" springs I'm aware of is Savvy.

The smart thing to do would be 2" springs with a 1" body lift. In that case I'd probably pair the OME springs with a good shock and then get a Savvy 1" body lift.

The body lift is nice because it sets you up down the road for a belly-up (tummy tuck) setup.
I outlined using the JKS 3" JSPEC springs in my thread.
OME doesn't have a 3" option w/o adding spacers which ratchets up the cost.
Why would anyone want to do 3" oddball lift?
In my case it was the ultra lo-pro transfer case skid and the desire to stop at 33" tires.

I outlined using the JKS 3" JSPEC springs in my thread.
OME doesn't have a 3" option w/o adding spacers which ratchets up the cost.
Why would anyone want to do 3" oddball lift?
In my case it was the ultra lo-pro transfer case skid and the desire to stop at 33" tires.

Ahhh totally forgot about the JKS JSPEC lift!

Reactions: Farmergreg
Thanks for all the input. My original post was mis-typed I'm looking for a 3 1/2 lift, although after reading all the input, I'm reassessing my requirements.

This is a build project on a TJ X that will likely not see all that much true off-road conditions. In fact, my granddaughter has her eye on it, but she's only 13. I could easily be on my next build by then....LOL

As part of the build, I'd like to put 33" tires on it and would like a complete, but not break the bank, lift on it. Like very other Jeep I've owned, I am already pouring money into other necessary items. I'm not looking for the proverbial "budget lift" but then again I'm not willing for put $5k into a complete long arm kit either.

After the lift, the Jeep needs to be able to handle moderate offroad conditions (not rock crawling), handle 33" tires, and allow me to replace as many of the worn-out bushing on the suspension as part of the lift as possible. I can see that while there are larger lifts that I find attractive, installing one of them starts a domino effect of other required upgrades SYE, double cardan drive shafts, tummy tuck, etc. I want decent functionality without tons of complexity.

Unfortunately, 33's are kinda that point where you tip over into probably needing a DC driveshaft and SYE.

If you want to avoid that, stick to 32's. You can do a 2" lift with a 1" Body lift and run 32" tires Really well. I dare say you won't even notice the difference between 32 and 33 inch tires offroad. Buy a replacement control arm set for a couple hundred bucks and you're done. Probably talking 2,000 bucks if you go with ALL top quality components, like OME springs, JKS Adjustable Trackbars, Savvy Body Lift and Cable Shifter, Good Shocks. If you look toward more budget, you can do it for considerably less.

Or, If you want a Complete kit, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the value of the Currie 4", Savvy 3" or Metalcloak 3.5" complete system. When I add up what I've spent on piecing my lift together (I didn't do a kit but I went with top end parts) I kinda wish I had just swallowed that pill, and bought a complete system. They are expensive, $2,500+ shocks, but they are good parts that will accomplish your goal. These are all short arm systems too.

Unfortunately, 33's are kinda that point where you tip over into probably needing a DC driveshaft and SYE.

If you want to avoid that, stick to 32's. You can do a 2" lift with a 1" Body lift and run 32" tires Really well. I dare say you won't even notice the difference between 32 and 33 inch tires offroad. Buy a replacement control arm set for a couple hundred bucks and you're done. Probably talking 2,000 bucks if you go with ALL top quality components, like OME springs, JKS Adjustable Trackbars, Savvy Body Lift and Cable Shifter, Good Shocks. If you look toward more budget, you can do it for considerably less.

Or, If you want a Complete kit, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the value of the Currie 4", Savvy 3" or Metalcloak 3.5" complete system. When I add up what I've spent on piecing my lift together (I didn't do a kit but I went with top end parts) I kinda wish I had just swallowed that pill, and bought a complete system. They are expensive, $2,500+ shocks, but they are good parts that will accomplish your goal. These are all short arm systems too.

Excellent input that will cause me to re-think my plans. The trouble is I already have a JLUR and bought this a project. I want it to be safe, reliable, and functional - but I seriously doubt that it is going to have a ton of heavy off road use. If I had found a Rubicon, maybe it would be different, but this is an X. In the end, I may keep it for fun, or I may be tempted to sell it with all the upgrades that it will have received, I just don't know. The one thing I do know is, I don't want to put crap parts on it, everything has to be decent quality and reliable, this could become my granddaughters vehicle.

@BobK , I am in the same boat as you.

Here a couple suggestions:

Check dpg offroad and look at the ome kits, there are 3 to consider that meet your criteria... ranging from 900 to 1400.

Also see Rubicon Express kits on the same site. 3in lifts will land you in the same range as above.

Lastly, look at the zone 4.25 combo kit or 3 in SL kit.

I am thinking about the zone combo kit.. because it is basically a 3 in SL with a body lift. I think I'll install the SL, and run 31's.. then when I upsize to 33's.. add the BL and MML.

The zone kits are a decent brand, part of a parent company to jks, bds, and fox.