Should I build or buy control arms?

DirtyD

I believe the benefits are obvious to why we need adjustable control arms... That being said I'm wondering if I'd be better off making my own with a off-road supplier parts and crome molly tubing or buying something. I really like the double adjustable aluminum from metal cloak. What are your thoughts and experience. Really didn't want to drop $1200 on control arms but I'd like to make my wheelbase a little longer and have the added flex and adjustability for pinion angles. Thanks in advance

By the time you get done building a set of control arms and purchase quality joints for them (i.e. Johnny Joints), I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you are into the built control arms for just as much, if not more than a set of high quality, $1200 Savvy control arms. I'd literally bet on it.

That is of course unless your time isn't worth anything.

Seen this question come up a bunch of times, and even seen people attempt this. The result is almost always, "I would have been better off just buying a set of quality control arms from the start".

I don't know what Savvy is making off their arms in terms of profit, but I suspect it isn't much more than maybe $300-$400 a set, which can easily be accounted for in the time you'll spend building arms.

adjustable control arms won't get you much wheelbase. They will help with the pinion angles.

I have built a lot of thing for satisfaction. If you like making things your time spent is not part of the equation. Building can have it's advantage in making it to your specific need. Having said that, I'd buy Savvy arms vs building.
I can make just about anything for a TJ. I get a discount on JJ's. I buy Savvy arms. Just not worth my time to make them and I have access to tolerable prices at machine shops.

2 JJ's w/jam nuts, a length of DOM tubing and 2 weld in bungs, = a CA.

jj's gonna run you 110 for a pair. + jamb nuts.
10-20ea on the bungs. depending where you buy from
and 20-30$ worth of DOM, for short arms, per arm.
if you want aluminum the price goes up substantially.

Anyone used Barnes stuff? I like the Enduro joints. Prices seem fair and they're a few hours away from me.

joints are the most important piece of this puzzle.

IDK about the enduro's but have never seen any recommendations for them. Barnes does have fair prices on DOM and bungs though. and quick shipping never had any issues ordering from them.

Reactions: DirtyD
I think I'm going that route, I can't see it taking that long to Fab a set. I enjoy as much hands on as I can. Plus I got a new Miller a few months back 🤟🏻

Reactions: Brianj5600
Building shit is fun, I say if ya have the means and want to just do it. Even if ya make a set identical to something you can buy, you can at least say you did it. I got into jeepin because I like to make stuff and do offroad things. My life is complete lol

Reactions: Vasq
I have a big lathe, big mill, 3 welders, and a whole bunch of other equipment, along with at least 3000lbs of steel and aluminum stock in my garage...the only time I'll build my own parts is if (a) it doesn't exist on the market to meet my needs/standards or (b) I'm too impatient and want it right now rather than waiting for the UPS man.

I've built lots of my own parts to try and save a buck over the years...and it usually ends up costing me more money, one way or another, than had I simply bought what I needed, so I've mostly given up on that.

If you have more time than money...go for it....it's not rocket surgery.

I will warn you though...research welding chromoly before you choose that material....it requires some special filler and processes if you're not going to perform a post weld heat treat/temper.

I'd probably build them out of 1/4" or 3/8" wall mild steel HREW or DOM if I were to whip up a set myself with a MIG welder.

Reactions: DirtyD