Should I buy a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 140k miles?

OK, let's let him get the jeep before we give him a laundry list of things to do...at least he is not under the gun to get as his uncle is holding for his right of first refusal. What makes you think that tranny is such a bad one?
Because I have read many people say the 42LRE goes out at around 100k miles because Chrysler went in cheap on the torque converter. And I don’t mind thinking about things that need to be done. I actually kind of like to think of the things I can possibly do if I get it. Plus a lot of people tend to buy a vehicle before researching and I like to research a lot and the 42LRE caught my attention that it did not have the best reputation for longevity.

Yeah I’m most worried about the tranny because they don’t have the best reputation for being an automatic.
You keep saying that but its reputation for holding up is fine Its commonly talked about negative reputation only has to do with its steep .69 Overdrive ratio not a lack of reliability The problem with 05-06 models has to do with a software bug in its computer which wouldn't affect the '04 being discussed. And no, Chrysler didn't "cheap out" on the torque converter. Stop paying attention to rumors.

Gerald Lee owns Savvy Offroad and he has won the EMC Class in King of the Hammers event multiple years running a stock 42RLE transmission. That's widely acknowledged as the toughest offroad race and rock crawling competition in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogman and tomtaylz
You keep saying that but its reputation for holding up is fine Its commonly talked about negative reputation only has to do with its steep .69 Overdrive ratio not a lack of reliability The problem with 05-06 models has to do with a software bug in its computer which wouldn't affect the '04 being discussed. And no, Chrysler didn't "cheap out" on the torque converter. Stop paying attention to the rumors.
Ok but if you where to choose a trans which would you choose not saying any is worse just wanting you option. I like manuals because i like the fact of being able to control you gear changes but this deal comes with an auto and I’m ok with it.

Because I have read many people say the 42LRE goes out at around 100k miles because Chrysler went in cheap on the torque converter. And I don’t mind thinking about things that need to be done. I actually kind of like to think of the things I can possibly do if I get it. Plus a lot of people tend to buy a vehicle before researching and I like to research a lot and the 42LRE caught my attention that it did not have the best reputation for longevity.
you are indeed correct to research here first, this is the best place with the best people I have found on any forum...even if we still let @TJ2 keep posting:p (just kidding dude, I am actually jealous you have 2 TJ's)

Ok but if you where to choose a trans which would you choose not saying any is worse just wanting you option. I like manuals because i like the fact of being able to control you gear changes but this deal comes with an auto and I’m ok with it.
For rock crawling purposes I converted my previous '97 TJ (bought new and built in my garage) from its OE AX-15 5-speed to an automatic and when that well built Jeep was stolen, I bought a replacement '04 with the 42RLE so I'd have another automatic. Trust me, you can control the gear changes just fine. I regularly rock crawl locked in 1st gear, 4:1 4-Low, and 5.38 gears. If I want 2nd gear I shift to it. Not to mention automatic transmissions, via the magic of the torque converter, generate 2-3x more low-end torque than a manual transmission does which is awesome for rock crawling. :)

JB5.jpg

Reactions: Bogman and Fonz54
For rock crawling purposes I converted my previous '97 TJ (bought new and built in my garage) from its OE AX-15 5-speed to an automatic and when that well built Jeep was stolen, I bought a replacement '04 with the 42RLE so I'd have another automatic. Trust me, you can control the gear changes just fine. I regularly rock crawl locked in 1st gear, 4:1 4-Low, and 5.38 gears. If I want 2nd gear I shift to it. Not to mention automatic transmissions, via the magic of the torque converter, generate 2-3x more low-end torque than a manual transmission does which is awesome for rock crawling. :)

View attachment 55772
Hey man that’s an awesome hobby to have just if you have the money that could be really fun thing to do. But yes I agree for rock crawling purposes a manual can be a pain. I’m Glad to know I’m getting advice from
People who actually know what there talking about. Pretty cool how fast the respones are I thought it would take for ever to get someone to comment.

View attachment 55772
This (JB) dude made me look like a sissy.

yeah my wife says the same thing about me...every time she sees me typing she says "talking to your jeep friends again...the ones you have never met" and I say "Yes I am and they are better than most of the friends I have met!"
Jeep friends are the best

I found this guy on Craigslist selling 5 Jeep YJ gambler wheels that fit the tj stock and he wants 150$ near me it’s a crazy good deal

I

How much better do you guys like the half doors vs the full doors. This Jeep comes with the full doors from factory

If you can find a pair of half doors for a decent price, jump on them. They are getting harder and harder to find. Half doors are fun but I wouldn't run them full time on a daily driver. I've been sorta looking on and off for a year or so. I wouldn't even want the uppers, I just think half doors look way better than completely doorless.

More personal preference than anything else.