Should I buy a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 140k miles?

I would guess you probably have another 4 - 9 years out of that frame. That is a really rough guess. It is hard to tell from photos because rust on the outside doesn't really mean much. My frame looks similar if not a little better than that on the outside, but it is completely rusted out in the inside.
I would guess you probably have another 4 - 9 years out of that frame. That is a really rough guess. It is hard to tell from photos because rust on the outside doesn't really mean much. My frame looks similar if not a little better than that on the outside, but it is completely rusted out in the inside.
What can you do besides just grind it down and paint it to prevent it from getting worse

Reactions: JMT
What can you do besides just grind it down and paint it to prevent it from getting worse

The rust on the outside doesn't really matter. The rust on the inside is the important bit. There is really nothing you can do once it starts rusting. If you have a good amount chunks already, then it is hard if not impossible to stop it. Judging by the amount of surface rust on the outside of the frame and the tub, I would guess your frame is already too far gone to stop. Next time you're at the Jeep, try to take a photo looking through the hole pictured below. The amount of rust chunks inside that hole will give you a pretty good idea about the condition of the frame. If you can put your fingers in and pull out rust chunks easily, your frame is too far gone.

Once the frame gets even worse and needs some attention, the two best ways to fix it are a complete frame swap or weld in segments called safetcaps from auto rust technicians.

22192d1476296300-company-rebuilds-rusted-jeep-tj-frame-rails-etc-full-frame-01.jpg

The rust on the outside doesn't really matter. The rust on the inside is the important bit. There is really nothing you can do once it starts rusting. If you have a good amount chunks already, then it is hard if not impossible to stop it. Judging by the amount of surface rust on the outside of the frame and the tub, I would guess your frame is already too far gone to stop. Next time you're at the Jeep, try to take a photo looking through the hole pictured below. The amount of rust chunks inside that hole will give you a pretty good idea about the condition of the frame. If you can put your fingers in and pull out rust chunks easily, your frame is too far gone.

Once the frame gets even worse and needs some attention, the two best ways to fix it are a complete frame swap or weld in segments called safetcaps from auto rust technicians.

View attachment 56097
How much work is a frame swap? And cost

How much work is a frame swap? And cost

Before you get too concerned with a frame swap, I would go look at the inside of the frame. You might not even need a frame swap. I'm just going off the amount of rust I can see around the rest of the Jeep to predict that you might in the coming years. If your uncle washed out the inside of the frame on a regular basis, it could be in very good shape on the inside.

But, on an LJ, a frame swap would be very costly. I'm not 100% sure if they make weld in segments for LJs so a frame swap might be your only option (if they do make them, weld in segments would run you around $2k - $3k out the door). But, with a frame swap, the first issue is finding an LJ frame. There are very few out there for sale, but I've seen a few for around $2800, but I'm sure you could get one for under $2,500. The big expense is the labor if you don't plan on doing it yourself. You could easily rack up a labor bill of $4,000 - $10,000 depending on what else you do when you get the frame installed. I'm having a bunch of stuff done at the same time so my labor bill is going to be quite a bit.

For $5,000 that Jeep is very difficult to pass on. But you just have to know what you're getting into with rust.

Before you get too concerned with a frame swap, I would go look at the inside of the frame. You might not even need a frame swap. I'm just going off the amount of rust I can see around the rest of the Jeep to predict that you might in the coming years. If your uncle washed out the inside of the frame on a regular basis, it could be in very good shape on the inside.

But, on an LJ, a frame swap would be very costly. I'm not 100% sure if they make weld in segments for LJs so a frame swap might be your only option (if they do make them, weld in segments would run you around $2k - $3k out the door). But, with a frame swap, the first issue is finding an LJ frame. There are very few out there for sale, but I've seen a few for around $2800, but I'm sure you could get one for under $2,500. The big expense is the labor if you don't plan on doing it yourself. You could easily rack up a labor bill of $4,000 - $10,000 depending on what else you do when you get the frame installed. I'm having a bunch of stuff done at the same time so my labor bill is going to be quite a bit.

For $5,000 that Jeep is very difficult to pass on. But you just have to know what you're getting into with rust.
Yeah I think for 5k it’s not too bad it could be worse but I want to keep it long term because eventually the LJ will be pretty hard to find compared to the tj

IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
I bought my wife's 2001 with 170,000 miles, 4.0L auto, with a just usable top for $1000 end of April this year. Crappy post bear repairs.
Remote start in PA makes a LOT of sense since that where it started from. My next truck WILL have remote start. A lot of previous owner body rust repairs. Just got a new top for it.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
View attachment 56293 View attachment 56294 I bought my wife's 2001 with 170,000 miles, 4.0L auto, with a just usable top for $1000 end of April this year. Crappy post bear repairs.
Remote start in PA makes a LOT of sense since that where it started from. My next truck WILL have remote start. A lot of previous owner body rust repairs. Just got a new top for it.

Rust repairs or not... for $1000 you can't really go wrong!

I'd have snatched it up for two grand. I had just bought a travel trailer literally the day before the offer was made for the Jeep in church! I managed to sell my 10x6x6 cargo trailer to my Sound Company buddy (who often borrowed it) for the $1000 to buy the Jeep. Good Karma that week!
Bear story short. Previous owner hunting deer in tree stand, bag of apples from hunter's apple tree in front seat to give as thanks to land owner for permission to hunt there, and a bear. Went through the rear window, sat in the back seat putting divots all through the back of the front seats, ate the apples! Messed up the back side window zippers, too by just pushing them apart. Back seat folded down, no damage to that.

I had a 97 Wrangler sport before the 04 Rubicon I have now. The 97 had the same rust issues on the top of each front fenders. I tried to repair it but it came right back. I ordered 2 new after market fenders from US Auto Parts on line ,one was $85. & the other was $140. + $35. shipping. Both arrived in good condition then I took to Rhino Liner and had them sprayed in and outside. They looked and fit good so I just left them black. I liked the look.
Later on down the road when I was cleaning under and around my frame I noticed a lot of mud caked inside the rear part of the frames, when I was flushing the mud out I saw large thin pieces of rust falling out so I got as much out as I could but after that I knew this was serious and wasn't going to end. I bought the TJ when I lived in Montana at a used car lot (Jeep was built in Canada) plus I didn't know of any Jeep Forums to get helpful information like we have now. I was clueless, you are very lucky you can draw knowledge from us.
Any how as luck would have it, since then, I have relocated to Western Colorado and joined a Jeep Club & thru a friend who traded this Jeep for a new JK , I came across the gem of a TJ Rubicon that I have now.
All the advice that you have been reading in this thread is great for your situation, I just passed on what I learned. Check inside that frame!
pic of my 97 TJ sport w/ new front fenders...

293.JPG

View attachment 56293 View attachment 56294 I bought my wife's 2001 with 170,000 miles, 4.0L auto, with a just usable top for $1000 end of April this year. Crappy post bear repairs.
Yeah I guess because of the cold weather a remote start would be ideal there.

I had a 97 Wrangler sport before the 04 Rubicon I have now. The 97 had the same rust issues on the top of each front fenders. I tried to repair it but it came right back. I ordered 2 new after market fenders from US Auto Parts on line ,one was $85. & the other was $140. + $35. shipping. Both arrived in good condition then I took to Rhino Liner and had them sprayed in and outside. They looked and fit good so I just left them black. I liked the look.
Later on down the road when I was cleaning under and around my frame I noticed a lot of mud caked inside the rear part of the frames, when I was flushing the mud out I saw large thin pieces of rust falling out so I got as much out as I could but after that I knew this was serious and wasn't going to end. I bought the TJ when I lived in Montana at a used car lot (Jeep was built in Canada) plus I didn't know of any Jeep Forums to get helpful information like we have now. I was clueless, you are very lucky you can draw knowledge from us.
Any how as luck would have it, since then, I have relocated to Western Colorado and joined a Jeep Club & thru a friend who traded this Jeep for a new JK , I came across the gem of a TJ Rubicon that I have now.
All the advice that you have been reading in this thread is great for your situation, I just passed on what I learned. Check inside that frame!
pic of my 97 TJ sport w/ new front fenders...

View attachment 56323
Yeah I’ll have to take a look inside the frame for sure.

You keep saying that but its reputation for holding up is fine Its commonly talked about negative reputation only has to do with its steep .69 Overdrive ratio not a lack of reliability The problem with 05-06 models has to do with a software bug in its computer which wouldn't affect the '04 being discussed. And no, Chrysler didn't "cheap out" on the torque converter. Stop paying attention to rumors.

Gerald Lee owns Savvy Offroad and he has won the EMC Class in King of the Hammers event multiple years running a stock 42RLE transmission. That's widely acknowledged as the toughest offroad race and rock crawling competition in the US.

Good grief, I've been on the forum all day. I need a time code for work for this, then again that would probably be a CLM (career limiting move).
Anyway, you mention the software bug. Can you please describe as i am looking at a 2005 LJ with this transmission in it.

No the LJs only had the 4.0 6cyl. Because they were either unlimited sports or rubicons

I don't know that I'd call the Unlimited either a Sport or a Rubicon because they were their own creation. They came standard with Dana 44 rear axles and a subwoofer which the Sports didn't but the Rubis did and obviously also had the front Dana 44. I'm sure there are other things the Unlimited had standard that would have either been an option or not available on the Sport.

I don't know that I'd call the Unlimited either a Sport or a Rubicon because they were their own creation. They came standard with Dana 44 rear axles and a subwoofer which the Sports didn't but the Rubis did and obviously also had the front Dana 44. I'm sure there are other things the Unlimited had standard that would have either been an option or not available on the Sport.
Sadly they didn’t all get a subwoofer either, but then you get all that sweet storage space! 🤔

Well it’s werid because my unlimited is on the title a Jeep Wrangler sport unlimited because it has the unlimited tub with a sport interior. Also mine has the Dana 44 in the rear and a 35 in the front like a sport. But I wish mine had 44 in the front and rear

What? The 2004 Unlimited has a sub. It replaced the Sahara package for that year as the top trim package. There were no options offered other than color. You couldn't even get a manual transmission. Different packages only became available in 2005. If your 2004 LJ doesn't have a Dana 30 and Dana 44 with 3.73 gears it isn't stock, they weren't sold any other way.