Should I change out my catalytic converter at 172k miles?

dan lee

TJ Addiction
Supporting Member
So, the old 2004 Rubi jeep has about 172,000 on it, even after doing a full tune up, with plugs, it seems to be loosing a little bit of its pep. With that kind of mileage, should I be thinking about changing out the catalytic converters?

So, the old 2004 Rubi jeep has about 172,000 on it, even after doing a full tune up, with plugs, it seems to be loosing a little bit of its pep. With that kind of mileage, should I be thinking about changing out the catalytic converters?
For a simple test just remove the upstream O2 sensor and take here for a ride to check for any improvements. Always good to choose a set test course and repeat in same gear and rpm.

You can remove the y-pipe to inspect the condition of the pre-cats. There is an upstream and downstream sensor on each exhaust bank. There are no sensors past that, so your OBD won’t know about the main converter if it’s gone.

From everything I’ve read here (except weasellee) you can’t mess with the precats without getting codes.

If you do replace the converters, I recommend the Flowmaster kit.

Last edited:
You can remove the y-pipe to inspect the condition of the pre-cats. There is an upstream and downstream sensor on each exhaust bank. There are no sensors past that, so your OBD won’t know about the main converter if it’s gone.

From everything I’ve read here, you can’t mess with the precats without getting codes.

If you do replace the converters, I recommend the Flowmaster kit.
No cats, no codes. ‘04 4.0. Repeat.

I was told that removing the rear cat could cause it to fail a visual inspection for emissions. It's going to depend on the state you are in and if the inspector has had his coffee.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper