Should I get a new soft top?

That looks awesome! The top got put on back order. It should ship out this coming Friday but I'm still trying to figure out where those straps connect to. I've got one connected on the far back top passenger side corner but the other end is just flapping around.
If you look at the pics in my post above, you can see where the front and back of the straps should attach. There should already be rivets or rivet holes where the old straps were, so you can use those as a guide.
I recently picked up the tacklife rivet gun from amazon. Was $16 and came with something like 120 rivets. (I cannot find my old rivet gun for the life of me.)

Oh so the straps attach to the soft top frame on both ends? I was thinking they went from that back corner to somewhere in the trunk area by the tailgate!

Yeah, the straps are the only thing that connects the rear bow to the center bow. I’m sure that is the more of the fitment issues you are having than your soft top. See if you can get the straps replaced before your top, maybe that will fix your issues.

The new top has already been ordered but I do have new straps on the way as well. Unfortunately the new top got put on back order and won't ship till this coming Friday. I'm sure you're right though, that does make sense. But between the old tops age, the windows being super scratched up and faded, and the velcro starting to let go, a new top is really in order anyways.

I also drove around with the soft top - not attached correctly - to the front header. Because I hadn't turned the fabric under a enough times before putting the screws in. In some of my earlier pictures on my build thread you can see how loose it was in the front. Which undoubtedly caused alot of loose material and more flapping.

I think I may be having the same issue, could you please clarify?

I think I may be having the same issue, could you please clarify?

When you fasten the front of the top to the header I drilled it on flat. You have to be able to fold it under after it's drilled. So the screw heads do not touch the header. But have a fold of fabric between. Does that make sense?

Let me see if I can find a video... Watch this section of this video. You have to place the top over your Jeep upside down. And then drill the soft top onto the header. If you don't do that you lose the fold.

Hey guys, I've got a soft top TJ and I'm not sure if I need a new top or if what I'm experiencing is normal. I've only had the jeep for about a year and the top looks like it's in great shape. It doesn't have any rips or holes, the stitching is a little frayed and the windows are about clear as mud but it doesn't look bad. Problem is, the top seems ridiculously loose, especially the back windows when I'm on the highway. I can see them flapping all over the place and hitting that curved bar on the soft top frame. That and the velcro above the front seats seems to be giving up. Between the two, it makes for a pretty noisy ride. I've heard some say all convertibles are noisy, especially jeeps, but I've heard some say their soft tops aren't much louder than the hard top. Will a new soft top be tighter and quieter on the highway or will it be about the same way and I've now spent at least $250 for no reason. My current top is a smittybuilt by the way. That's the only tag I can see on it so I'm not sure of the exact model. I've got my eye on the rough country soft top if I do decide to get a new one. Any insight on the state of the current top or opinions on the rough country soft top would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
I’ve replaced the original ‘98 with a Pavement Ends, Smittybilt, and Sierra Offroad. I’m going to get another Sierra Offroad again. Smittybilt is loser, Pavement Ends faded faster and the clear plastic feels jelly like, Sana’a Smitty’s. They all do their jobs but I prefer Sierra more.

Yeah, the straps are the only thing that connects the rear bow to the center bow. I’m sure that is the more of the fitment issues you are having than your soft top. See if you can get the straps replaced before your top, maybe that will fix your issues.
When I replaced the soft top recently I replaced the straps due one was missing and the second was damaged. I went to Home Depot and purchased strapping which was riveted to the center and rear hoop. This keeps the factory distances and shape correct.

Alrighty guys the Rough country top FINALLY came in. I put it on yesterday along with the new straps. It went pretty well and the back windows are quite a bit tighter but the roof is loose as crud. Should I unscrew the header, roll it up one more time, and see if that works?

Alrighty guys the Rough country top FINALLY came in. I put it on yesterday along with the new straps. It went pretty well and the back windows are quite a bit tighter but the roof is loose as crud. Should I unscrew the header, roll it up one more time, and see if that works?

No. Only go as far as that video. Otherwise your drilling into the top itself. No good can come from that.

Any jeeper that can compare your frame to theirs?

Figured it out! I had it screwed to the header completely wrong. Luckily enough, everything still lined up and no real harm was done. So a quick review on the Rough Country top. I'll start by saying it all seems pretty thin, thinner than the old Smittybuilt top. The color is ok and the windows do have a fair bit of wrinkles in them even with the top put up. The lips that go into the slats from the windows and the body of the Jeep are kinda flimsy and so are the zippers. Then there's the smell. I'm not sure what it reminds me of but I hope it goes away. However, despite all this, it is still WAY quieter than the old top and the windows are crystal clear. The velcro isn't constantly rattling above my head, the windows aren't smacking the bars in the back, heck the AC fan and zippers rattling are the loudest thing till you get on the highway. I may still go grab some foam for that bow overhead and see if that helps any but overall, it's a huge improvement over what I had before. I'm sure there's better tops out there for the money. From what y'all have said, the Sierra top is pretty dang good. I'll definitely be getting a Bestop when this one dies on me but for now, I'm pretty happy. Thanks to everyone for your input!