Should I go with 27 or 30 splines for Dana 30?

Jeepin' Geo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Want to put some Eaton Elocker4's in the stock Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles. For the Dana 30 should I go with a 27 or 30 spline locker? Not completely sure what's involved.

Thanks,
George

Depends if you’re changing your shafts too? 27 spline is stock. 30 spline you’ll need to get some 30 spline chromoly shafts. It’s not a bad idea to upgrade shafts either way, but if you stick with 27, you can use your stock shafts as a back up/spare in case something happens.

Want to put some Eaton Elocker4's in the stock Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles. For the Dana 30 should I go with a 27 or 30 spline locker? Not completely sure what's involved.

Thanks,
George

The general consensus is 27 spline chromoly does the trick for Dana 30’s.

If you are running the 4.0 and wheel in a civilized manner you will most likely be good running up to 35” tires locked.

The general consensus is 27 spline chromoly does the trick for Dana 30’s.

If you are running the 4.0 and wheel in a civilized manner you will most likely be good running up to 35” tires locked.
X2, 4340 or 4310 27 spline shafts are up to 35's and being locked on trails tougher than 99% of offroaders would be interested in being on. That also saves you from having the significant expense of converting to 30 spline manual hubs which are not cheap. There are no worthwhile 30 spline unit bearing hubs for the Dana 30/44.

X2, 4340 or 4310 27 spline shafts are up to 35's and being locked on trails tougher than 99% of offroaders would be interested in being on. That also saves you from having the significant expense of converting to 30 spline manual hubs which are not cheap. There are no worthwhile 30 spline unit bearing hubs for the Dana 30/44.

Interesting. I didn’t realize that last part.

Reactions: Irun and JMT
In the past I had a Dana 30 27 spline with an ARB and stock shafts that I Dremel cut for full circle clips with 33" MTRs; ran that setup for several years in the SoCal deserts, Big Bear and Moab until I upgraded to alloy axles.
Never had a problem with the modified stock axles or the alloy axles, but once I upgraded to the alloy axles; I kept the modified stock axles as spares.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Thanks for the replies. 27 spline it is!

Which supplier should I be looking at for gear sets and chromoly axles? I know Revolution has been popular but everything I'm interested in is out of stock.

Went and looked up what I have which is RAK30-TJ-27. 27 spline shafts from Revolution Gear.

Wouldn’t matter either way, the revolution shafts and most all 30 spline Dana 30 shafts are 27 spline at the hubs so that you don’t need those rare 30 spline hubs. The whole point to the 30 spline inner is to hold up beyond the large u-joint the Rev shafts come with.

I know blaine has said it a bunch of times that if he had it his way, there would be no big u-joint 27-spline option, because the big joint basically ensures you will break the shaft instead of the u-joint.

The other thing is when going to 30 spl or rcv's the next weak link is the R&P.
Personally I'd rather break an axle than deal broken R&P...

I disagree. The next weak link would be at the yoke/ujoint. I prefer 30spline inners to keep any breakage out of the diff.

Here is the size difference between the two.
9950CD6C-6433-48A6-9358-DB8EEA46D384.jpeg

Here is what my old 27 spline shafts look like. You can wheel for years with 27 spline and be fine, but it only takes one funky spot in a rock garden and they can go like that…
139DA3EB-37F5-4C6E-BFCE-2628F6111FE7.jpeg

What about those who upgraded to 4340 27 spline shafts and had no more problems doing extremely tough trails. What benefit would be to 4340 30 spline shafts then? I upgraded to 27 spline 4340 shafts up front and had no more problems or broken shafts. Even after doing the same trail again that broke the front shafts in the first place. I seriously believe front 4340 27 spline shafts are more than enough for 99.99% of those doing tough offroad trails. At least they were for me. Not to mention, as brought up above, the outer stub shafts are still 27 spline in many of the 30 spline shaft kits.

Why would you need to swap to 30 spline manual hubs? The 27 spline stub shafts in the standard unit bearing in both the TJ front 30 and Rubi 44 are more than able to handle the upgrade to 30 spline inners in the 30 and similarly the same 30 spline inners that are stock from the factory in the TJ Rubi front 44.

Not to be taken as he should upgrade to 30 spline shafts in the LP 30 but it is a mistake not to in the HP 30.

What about those who upgraded to 4340 27 spline shafts and had no more problems doing extremely tough trails. What benefit would be to 4340 30 spline shafts then? I upgraded to 27 spline 4340 shafts up front and had no more problems or broken shafts. Even after doing the same trail again that broke the front shafts in the first place. I seriously believe front 4340 27 spline shafts are more than enough for 99.99% of those doing tough offroad trails. At least they were for me.
They are until they aren't. We have broken far too many 27 spline inners in JV in the HP 30 we are so fond of out there that is makes no sense to run 27 spline inners. None whatsoever.
Not to mention, as brought up above, the outer stub shafts are still 27 spline in many of the 30 spline shaft kits.
Ever wonder why the TJ Rubi front 44 came with the same 27 spline stubs and unit bearings that the Dana 30 did? The reason that it came that way is the engineers understand that when the stub shaft is torqued to spec and is clamping the two halves of the unit bearing together, there is also something else going on. What happens is the flat face at the base of the stub shaft that butts into the back of the unit bearing is creating a lot of friction (just like bolts do) between those two faces. That friction greatly reduces the load on the splines and prevents them from breaking or twisting off.

Also why you almost never see a twisted off stub shaft but instead see broken yokes and u-joints.

What about those who upgraded to 4340 27 spline shafts and had no more problems doing extremely tough trails. What benefit would be to 4340 30 spline shafts then? I upgraded to 27 spline 4340 shafts up front and had no more problems or broken shafts. Even after doing the same trail again that broke the front shafts in the first place. I seriously believe front 4340 27 spline shafts are more than enough for 99.99% of those doing tough offroad trails. At least they were for me. Not to mention, as brought up above, the outer stub shafts are still 27 spline in many of the 30 spline shaft kits.

That broken shaft I posted is a 4340 chromo 27 spline shaft I broke on 35s last December in a rock garden.