Should I paint the upper portion of my full door?

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Once I saw a forum members Inca Gold TJ from Nova Scotia. He was a great painter with a really cool paint job. I can’t find it or I’d post the link. One part of his paint job was to paint that upper part of the TJ full door black, the same color as the hardtop. The lines from the door to the hardtop are straightened out like half doors. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Chris
Once I saw a forum members Inca Gold TJ from Nova Scotia. He was a great painter with a really cool paint job. I can’t find it or I’d post the link. One part of his paint job was to paint that upper part of the TJ full door black, the same color as the hardtop. The lines from the door to the hardtop are straightened out like half doors. What are your thoughts?

It sounds cool, but I’d have to see a visual in order to know for sure. It would definitely be unique!

It sounds cool, but I’d have to see a visual in order to know for sure. It would definitely be unique!

Ok, I finally found the guys TJ in an old thread. Here it is. I'm just interested in painting the portion on the top of the door black, to match the hardtop. But want your thoughts.
Inca Gold TJ.jpg

Reactions: Dawghouse
Ok, I finally found the guys TJ in an old thread. Here it is. I'm just interested in painting the portion on the top of the door black, to match the hardtop. But want your thoughts.

You forgot a link I believe.

@JMT, I am considering precisely the same thing with mine. After thinking about it for a couple of weeks, I saw a light "sand" colored Sahara drive by, and he had done the hardtop and just the area at the top of the doors (the flat sheet metal that half-doors do not have) in a slightly darker tone. It looked fantastic! Where you and I might have an issue is that the contrast would not be at all subtle, with yours being red/black, and mine being green/tan. In my mind, I wouldn't do the window frames, only the flat, lower section. I still may...

View attachment 35644
Where this one fails, IMHO, is that he has all these different panels and sections done in black. And the doors are a different shade of gold than the rest of the body, to boot. Gives the impression is was built from several parts rigs with that particular look...

Usually I like the body line on the door painted to match the top. But it depends on the overall color. The CJ-7 posted above is a nice example of how to do it well. Yellow is too bright of a contrast in this case.

I also deeply dislike the black swoop on the bottom, as well as all the black hinges. Too busy and too much contrast.

I would say no on painting. If you do decide I would suggest just going black on the upper door where the door handle is and leaving the upper door frame red. Kind of like the CJ pick. The yellow and black jeep is way too much going on.