Should I replace the fuel pump while the tank is out?

I've though about making one of those, I didn't know you could buy them. Can you cut the opening with the tank and lines still in place?

I did, and like was said, do it carefully.

20230313_145921.jpg

I’d replace it while the tank is out unless you know it’s been replaced more recently. If you don’t know, just replace it.

If you’re one of those drivers who always refuses to gas up until the needs gas warning light comes on and your fuel pumps old, it would be a good idea to install a new fuel pump. Most people fail to understand the gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

If you’re one of those drivers who always refuses to gas up until the needs gas warning light comes on and your fuel pumps old, it would be a good idea to install a new fuel pump. Most people fail to understand the gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail.

Is this an issue for with TJs? Doesn't the pump assembly include a built in sump keeping the pump submerged in fuel even when the tank is empty?