Should my control arms be the same length?

CaliSteve

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My rear uppper control arm driver side measures 12 5/8" center to center, passenger side is 13".
The lowers are identical in length. Am assuming the uppers should be the same length, I had the lift installed
awhile ago. What will that difference in length do?

My rear uppper control arm driver side measures 12 5/8" center to center, passenger side is 13".
The lowers are identical in length. Am assuming the uppers should be the same length, I had the lift installed
awhile ago. What will that difference in length do?
They aren’t always the same length, but they shouldn’t be different when it comes to axle position. The majority of the uppers job is to set the pinion angle (angle of the yoke). Since Jeep isn’t precise in the mounts, what’s important is that the axle is the same distance from the rear bolt of the skid plate on on both sides. Then you can check that the rotation is the same by measuring from upper axle mount to the frame on both sides. Control arm length isn’t the important part here, the axle is.

As long as the axle is square to the frame and the joints aren't in a bind at normal ride height, then a slight difference in length doesn't matter.

Blaine had a post somewhere about this. He, IIRC, measures from the middle bolt hole for the trans skid to a similar point on both sides of the axle tube.

Thanks, I will do a search for that.

It helps to get a couple longer skid bolts that hang a few inches down from the frame. Then you can use a framing square on the floor and sitting against the axle tube to take the measurements.

Blaine had a post somewhere about this. He, IIRC, measures from the middle bolt hole for the trans skid to a similar point on both sides of the axle tube.
Thanks, I will do a search for that.

the reason you use the middle skid bolt and not the rear is because the middle bolts are symmetrical, directly opposite from each other. The rears are not - one is about 3" farther forward than the other. I only mention it because it's not obvious if you've never had the skidplate off and you're rolling around in your garage floor with it 6" in front of your eyeballs.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
the reason you use the middle skid bolt and not the rear is because the middle bolts are symmetrical, directly opposite from each other. The rears are not - one is about 3" farther forward than the other. I only mention it because it's not obvious if you've never had the skidplate off and you're rolling around in your garage floor with it 6" in front of your eyeballs.
Good point, I had the skid plate off yesterday to clean up some surface rust and repaint and I didn't notice it then. Thats when I spotted the difference in the upper control arms.

It helps to get a couple longer skid bolts that hang a few inches down from the frame. Then you can use a framing square on the floor and sitting against the axle tube to take the measurements.
Are the OEM skid bolts still available? I had one that had some rust corrosion I didn't like, it torqued down fine but would replace it if available.

Mine are the same :)

mrblaine, question on the skid plate bolts, I used anti-seize when re-installing, should I have reduced the torque from 55 ft.lbs.? I know there are different thoughts on this process.
Generally yes. If they are the early ones, don't worry as much since the conical seat adds friction unless you slathered that as well.

be sure it's all square under there, as mentioned.

but i'd wanna know if 1 of those CA's was pushing or pulling.

be sure it's all square under there, as mentioned.

but i'd wanna know if 1 of those CA's was pushing or pulling.
I measured from the center of the control arm bolt to the center of the axle housing and both sides were the same even though the control arms are 3/8" difference.
How to whats pushing or pulling I don't know how to tell.

it's possible the brackets are not perfect.

pulling 1 of the bolts from the short arm and seeing if the axle moves, would be the way to tell.
i'm not sure of your mechanical aptitude, so it'd be real easy to get real confusing real quick.

and it may not really matter, it's just how i learned to do it, as neutral a load as possible across all CA's bolts.