Should there be any fore/aft play in my front pinion yoke?

WNC05willys

TJ Enthusiast
Ok, so I noticed there is some wiggle in/out at my front pinion yoke. I know I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd, but this doesn't seem right to me. It moves fore/aft about 1/2". Any help is appreciated

Ok, so I noticed there is some wiggle in/out at my front pinion yoke. I know I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd, but this doesn't seem right to me. It moves fore/aft about 1/2". Any help is appreciated
Your right, that’s not normal. Check the torque on your pinion nut. I would also remove the cover to take a look inside.

i'll be underneath tomorrow doing the front driveshaft u-joints. what is the proper torque value, and will I be screwing anything up by doing that?
You won’t know the answer to that question until you remove the cover. As far as the pinion nut, we need to know what axle you have up front.

i'll be underneath tomorrow doing the front driveshaft u-joints. what is the proper torque value, and will I be screwing anything up by doing that?
Its crush sleeve has some elasticity so the exact torque is not critical. If it's obvious the pinion nut is just loose, torque it to between 165-185 ft-lbs which was recommended to me by Tom Wood 17-18 years ago which has worked fine for me in the right circumstances.