Simple DIY TJ Hard Top Hoist

Electric hoist with a frame cobbled together from uni-strut parts. Tethers securely to garage door brackets when holding the top and neatly out of the way when not in use.

20220304_153856.jpg
20220304_153922.jpg

Ok, this thread has been on my mind quite a bit as the weather warms up, and I have a stupid idea, which is why I'm burying it here. First, my limitations:
  • My garage is too small to fit the Jeep, so can't pull in and remove the top
  • Which means I need to remove the hardtop outdoors but don't want to leave it outside
  • Which means I need something that not only assists with the removal/weight but can also lower and roll into the garage
  • Which brings me to...Hoyer Lifts! Intended for assisted sitting, standing, or moving of incapacitated people, but capable of bearing up to 450 lbs...and they roll
I've found a few on FB marketplace, even for free. The only piece I need to figure out is the height: the highest the hoist goes is 60", so i'll need to get another 2'-3' out of it for my lifted Jeep.

1646854441275.png

If this is a stupid idea, I'm open to constructive criticism. If this isn't a stupid idea, any ideas how I could extend the height of the lift?

Last edited:
Ok, this thread has been on my mind quite a bit, but I have a few limitations:
  • My garage is too small to fit the Jeep, so can't pull in and remove
  • Which means I need to remove the hardtop outdoors but don't want to leave it outside
  • Which means I need something that not only assists with the removal / weight, but can also lower and roll into the garage
  • Which brings me to...Hoyer Lifts! Intended for assisted sitting, standing, or moving of incapacitated people, but capable of bearing up to 450 lbs, and they roll
I've found a few
1646749662816.png

I can't see your attachment, but you could rig an interface that goes in and lifts from the underside, instead of via hoist/straps hanging it.

Like this system... https://topliftpros.com/
that's an interesting idea, hadn't occurred to me to go from the inside - I'll have to work that out, but might be worth a try. BUt those topliftpros lifts are awesome, but holy crap, that's a lot of money for something I would use twice a year!

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
I use ratchet straps, one on each corner. It's a bit cumbersome ratcheting one strap, then moving to the next...etc. But, I have 4 eye bolts in the ceiling of the garage just for that. I suppose it'd be quicker/easier with a crank (like the Harken system), but the ratchet straps work and they were less than $15 at Harbor Freight.

Just gotta watch out so you don't stand up too quick when you're underneath the edge - you'll only do that once....ONCE. Rang my bell pretty good.

BTW: the TJ top is lighter and easier to remove than my YJ top was, that's for sure
I did the exact same thing. Installed 4 eye bolts in the ceiling of my carport and bought 4 ratchet straps and two 6' lifting straps from Harbor Freight. I run the lifting straps from the open back glass to the front door opening on each side and hook the loops to the ratchet strap hooks. Quick, easy and inexpensive. I only remove my hardtop a handful of times each year so no sense in spending $100+ on a pulley system.
20200706_124321.jpg