Simple repairs for TJ?

If you get good answers, it'd be fun to create a list of easy/first jobs for those who are completely new to working on their own TJs. I'd write more but I'm jumping on a work call.

Reactions: mattyice2
A lot. I have a lawnmower level of mechanical ability, I easily changed the springs, shocks, and steering linkage, along with doing the allingment and centering the steering wheel.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
As someone who's clumsy with legos, taking on the jeep was intimidating. Nonetheless, the projects that I've been able to do with little effort but much reward & fulfillment:
  • - O2 sensors all around - straightforward screwing something into a hole
  • - spark plugs - was initially intimidated, but it went super smooth and the old girl runs better than ever
  • - new exhaust (cat back)! bolt off, bolt on, no hassle
  • - Brakes & Shocks - again, it's all just bolt on bolt off - seriously, the hardest part is bleeding the brakes and remembering that the calipers are sided (learned the hard way)
  • Upgraded LED headlights (and interior LEDs) - there are tutorials on this forum that make it a simple job - like step by step, fool proof tutorials
  • Painting your fender flairs: if yours are faded black like mine, removing them, painting with plasti-dip, and reattaching is a matter of screws & plastic pins
  • Change the oil! it's as easy as emptying your bathtub!
This is what I can think of off the top of my head, but it's been really great learning how to maintain my own rig. Hope this helps!

Belts, hoses, plugs, coil, various sensors, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, diff fluid, shocks, brakes, etc, etc.

The FSMs are under the Resources section here, and there's a YouTube video for just about everything as well.

Reactions: PhillyJake
Valve cover gasket was fairly easy but not listed yet. Most difficult part was the bridge with all the wires across the rear of cover. Mainly just required LOTS of patience

if you replaced one radiator hose, it would have been wise to just open the coolant system once and replace them all and hold onto the old ones as emergency spares.

another simple repair/maintenance would be lubing the grease zerks on the ball joints/tie rod ends. wipe the debris off the nipples and shoot a pump or two of grease into them.

could also flush your brake fluid or at the least siphon out the old fluid with a turkey baster using caution not to dribble the fluid on paint (dot 3 removes paint). top it off with a fresh new can of fluid and toss the excess remaining in the can as it absorbs water over time.
could also do the same with the power steering. siphon out the old stuff from the reservoir and top it off with new fresh stuff. be aware early models used power steering fluid and later models used ATF4 for the fluid.

The simple truth is that the learning does not stop at a simple job like a radiator hose. Keep watching YouTube vids, reading the FSM, and learning how things work and eventually you’ll feel compelled to tackle basically everything.

The other good thing is that once you’re good at the Jeep, you’ll see that other vehicles aren’t really that complex either. They have fancier features and stuff but they are still the same basic vehicle at the end of the day. So then you can work on those too in most cases.

I swapped an axle when I had very little experience, I just took my time. If you get one from another TJ it's a bolt in swap.
Plus you get more familiar with all the parts down there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack72 and JMT
I swapped an axle when I had very little experience, I just took my time. If you get one form another TJ it's a bolt in swap.
Plus you get more familiar with all the parts down there.
Anytime you play with it you get more familiar with the parts down there. 🤣