Six-in-a-row with six-on-a-flo

Taking off in second is a great way to prematurely wear the clutch. Never understood people who do that. "starting in second is just so much easier". The engineers made 1st gear for a reason. *edit* on the street. I can see use of 2nd in low on the trails.
Spoken like someone who has a 42rle auto. Try a 6 speed with proper gearing. I hated shifting out of 1st after driving 20'.
p.s. At least Fishtaco is just joking about his mighty 3.07s. A 12 pack of PBR and 29" tires are the shit in OZ.

Taking off in second is a great way to prematurely wear the clutch. Never understood people who do that. "starting in second is just so much easier". The engineers made 1st gear for a reason. *edit* on the street. I can see use of 2nd in low on the trails.
In a properly geared setup, the 6th speed 1st is so low as to be useless on the rd unless you are starting on a steep hill or towing.

At 230K mi on my original clutch using 2nd to start off since I drove it off the dealer lot. So no premature wear.

I skipped first with 32" and 4.88. With 35s though, I'm back to using it because it's not quite as annoying as it used to be. I love the way it just idles up stuff in low range. I found myself wishing for a 4:1 case with my Ax15 but the 6 speed has put that off for a while.

Now if I can just get it to stay in reverse when backing up a hill. 😭

Also can report redline mtl made no difference in its shifting. 3rd is still pretty notchy. Don't know what was in it or how old it was but it looked noticeably more amber in color than the pinkish clear redline that went in.

Reactions: Fishtaco
In a properly geared setup, the 6th speed 1st is so low as to be useless on the rd unless you are starting on a steep hill or towing.
200.gif

I skipped first with 32" and 4.88. With 35s though, I'm back to using it because it's not quite as annoying as it used to be. I love the way it just idles up stuff in low range. I found myself wishing for a 4:1 case with my Ax15 but the 6 speed has put that off for a while.

Now if I can just get it to stay in reverse when backing up a hill. 😭

Also can report redline mtl made no difference in its shifting. 3rd is still pretty notchy. Don't know what was in it or how old it was but it looked noticeably more amber in color than the pinkish clear redline that went in.
How long has the redline been in? Mine seems to be improving over time/miles driven, still can be notchy 1st to 2nd but with a much higher rev change it seems to cure it most of the time, all other up shifts and all down shifts are now normal and quite smooth, try changing into 3rd at higher revs than you normally would.
My factory oil was also amber and not pink like the redline.

Spoken like someone who has a 42rle auto. Try a 6 speed with proper gearing. I hated shifting out of 1st after driving 20'.
p.s. At least Fishtaco is just joking about his mighty 3.07s. A 12 pack of PBR and 29" tires are the shit in OZ.
Glad you get it :) I am usually talking to God on the big white telephone while you people haven't had Saturday lunch yet!

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
How long has the redline been in? Mine seems to be improving over time/miles driven, still can be notchy 1st to 2nd but with a much higher rev change it seems to cure it most of the time, all other up shifts and all down shifts are now normal and quite smooth, try changing into 3rd at higher revs than you normally would.
My factory oil was also amber and not pink like the redline.

It's only been about 2 weeks which normally would amount to about 300 miles, but thanks for a road trip over the first weekend in September I've put about 2000 miles on it.

My nsg is a piece of shit, in fact both are, sheetmetal shift forks which work in a Mercedes but not so well in a jeep

Last edited:
My 6-Speed is fine except for the occasional double clutch to get in R.

Smooth with the Purple Synchromax. Hated Redline MTL.

Love 1st gear ratio and use it all the time

Hand throttle is a lifesaver off-road