Slight shake when taking curves

Kelly F.

Hi all!
So I've had my Jeep for a few months now, when I first got it I noticed that it would shimmy/shake a little when taking curves. I had my tires rotated and balanced and that seemed to take care of it. I'm having the same issue again. The steering column vibrates some and the steering wheel itself shakes. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Hi all!
So I've had my Jeep for a few months now, when I first got it I noticed that it would shimmy/shake a little when taking curves. I had my tires rotated and balanced and that seemed to take care of it. I'm having the same issue again. The steering column vibrates some and the steering wheel itself shakes. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
U-joints

Do a dry steering test first and foremost....
Don't be surprised though if your u-joints are bad.

U-joints aren't just loose when bad..they can also become near impossible to move.

Sound like tire wear is your issue. Poor toe setting can cause tire wear, which can cause your symptoms. Did you have it aligned when you fist had the issue?
Check those axle ujoint too.

Easy enough. I'll check it out!
The dry steering you'll need a helper. The u-joint issue you'll need to pull the axle.

Just know if you pull the axle and you are having a hard time moving the stub shaft independent of the inner shaft...your u-joint is bone dry and all smooth transition is gone. Hence the small steering issue.

Good luck.

Doubt the axle U joints cause the issue since the stub axle has a nut that is torqued to 175 ft/lbs would nullify the movement; instead I would inspect the unit hub bearings for play.....

Doubt the axle U joints cause the issue since the stub axle has a nut that is torqued to 175 ft/lbs would nullify the movement; instead I would inspect the unit hub bearings for play.....
Ujoint can cause this. Seen it several times. Ujoint is seized or stiff in straight position. So when turned it fights the steering.
most the time it can be checked by raising the front axle, turn the wheels then spin them. A stiff ujoint will try to straighten the tire while spinning.

The nut has nothing to do with it.
I'm talking about a smooth transition while steering. If the u-joint is bad in a too tight sense...while turning the u-joint will move, get really tight, then loose...all smooth transition is gone.

Most loose steering components will create a snake like effect driving straight and sawing at the wheel whilst going straight.

This is a turn issue. It very well could be a steering component but the fact is localized to a turn now the u-joint is more involved.