Slow crank when starting

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
When I get in my ford F150 and turn the key over it cranks on the first turn of the flywheel every time no matter the temp or weather. Well When I get in my jeep i turn the key on and let all the beeping stop (to make sure the fuel pump is primed) then sometimes pump the gas peddle and turn the key. After SEVERAL turns of the engine/flywheel ... it cranks, and its not just the first crank of the day either. So what is causing the slow cranking. ???

Battery seems to be in great shape , but ill check it in the morning. The jeep has been doing this for some time now.
Same problem, slow cranking. Bought a new battery last week, no change in cranking speed. I would like to think it was an old school timing issue, but can't turn the distributor, lol. That leaves the timing chain or
starter? I have a 2001 4.0.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same problem, slow cranking. Bought a new battery last week, no change in cranking speed. I would like to think it was an old school timing issue, but can't turn the distributor, lol. That leaves the timing chain or
starter? I have a 2001 4.0.

Forgot to mention, after a crank or two it starts and runs like a champ.

Yep runs great too. I'm thinking along the lines of failing fuel pump. Or clogged injectors ( some kinda fuel starvation problem.)

Check your battery connections (terminals). Clean them, inspect them, and if in doubt, take pictures of them and post them here so we can see what they look like.

This to me seems like an electrical issue.
The starter and engine are turning over strong and fast. But I will get some pictures for sure.

Reactions: Chris
compared to every vehicle i have ever owned, the jeep turning over is pretty weak. always starts and runs great but cranks pretty slow in comparison. if you have noticed a change since you have owned it then that is a puzzle to figure out. i'm just stating that its been my norm for years.

I always have to turn my key on and off 3 times if I want it to crank on the first try. The only time it will crank on the first try is if it was running less than 10-20 minutes ago. The fuel pump is done pressurizing after the second beep so you don't have to wait for the chime to stop every time. If I ever replace the gas tank skid, I'll fix the issue since the fuel pump and pressure regulator will be exposed then.

And here's a thread where Jerry talks about the issue if you're interested: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fuel-pressure-regulator.2576/

It is fuel injected, why are you pumping the gas pedal?
I meant to mention this as well. I used to do the same thing until someone told me.

With modern fuel injection, pumping the gas pedal doesn't do anything. Pump the pedal for carburetor engines, hold it down for fuel injection (if you have trouble starting).

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I highly, highly doubt it's clogged fuel injectors as that is pretty uncommon.

I would check the fuel pressure at the rail and see what it is. My TJ turns over quickly and starts without any issue at all, every single time. I suppose it is possible it could be a fuel pump starting to go.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I always have to turn my key on and off 3 times if I want it to crank on the first try. The only time it will crank on the first try is if it was running less than 10-20 minutes ago. The fuel pump is done pressurizing after the second beep so you don't have to wait for the chime to stop every time. If I ever replace the gas tank skid, I'll fix the issue since the fuel pump and pressure regulator will be exposed then.

And here's a thread where Jerry talks about the issue if you're interested: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fuel-pressure-regulator.2576/

yep i may be doing it sooner than later. and your right then it would be a good time for a better gas tank skid plate