Small tractors, and what to look for?

Some great ideas in here @Irun. Congrats on the new MF. We used to live on 12.5 acres, most covered in cedar. I had to use a chainsaw for a bunch of it, practically all of it due to the steep grade. I was too poor for a tractor at the time, so it was a lot of cutting and then loading the limbs and taking them to a burn pile. Boys got a good work ethic. I got rid of job stress. We finally did get a used tractor. It was a 1960's Case 75hp. I had to make a gasket or two, but other than that it was reliable. I wouldn't use it for cutting grass I was interested in manicuring. They are bumpy and not consistent. We had a John Deere riding mower for that. It was still not what I really wanted. Our grass sucked though, so it didn't matter too much. I got tired of hitting rocks and replacing spindles. I'd go for a Zero Turn if I were starting over, especially if I had nice grass. Every Spring you might just walk around and cut the baby cedars. Once you get to that point it's just annual maintenance. In the meantime, have full pulling stumps!

Reactions: Irun
I have a little yard, about .25 acres that I take care off...with a 52" stander zeroturn. When I water...my grass needs mowing 2x a week and I can do it in about 20 minutes with the zero turn. a garden tractor with a 48" deck took me twice as long.

Its kinda ridiculous...but the time savings is worth it to me.

This is what I mow with...Its a single purpose tool that does what it needs to Exceptionally well. 52" deck, 25 HP EFI Kohler. Mulch on Demand. I have a fully fenced yard with a house, deck, Pool, and a bunch of other landscaping to mow around. This thing lets me get into corners well enough that I only need to use the string trimmer 2x a month (my 2nd least favorite task. 1st is running the dumb edger).

View attachment 312702
A ZT would be ideal for my yard. Lots of trees and landscaping that requires me to do creative maneuvering with the Garden tractor. Like you said, a ZT would easily cut my time in half. However, one step at a time my friend. I still have to get my wife over the shock of the sub compact sticker price! ;)

Some great ideas in here @Irun. Congrats on the new MF. We used to live on 12.5 acres, most covered in cedar. I had to use a chainsaw for a bunch of it, practically all of it due to the steep grade. I was too poor for a tractor at the time, so it was a lot of cutting and then loading the limbs and taking them to a burn pile. Boys got a good work ethic. I got rid of job stress. We finally did get a used tractor. It was a 1960's Case 75hp. I had to make a gasket or two, but other than that it was reliable. I wouldn't use it for cutting grass I was interested in manicuring. They are bumpy and not consistent. We had a John Deere riding mower for that. It was still not what I really wanted. Our grass sucked though, so it didn't matter too much. I got tired of hitting rocks and replacing spindles. I'd go for a Zero Turn if I were starting over, especially if I had nice grass. Every Spring you might just walk around and cut the baby cedars. Once you get to that point it's just annual maintenance. In the meantime, have full pulling stumps!
I have about 1.5 acres out back with densely packed cedars. I've been trying to chip away at it, but my progress is slow. I ordered a mechanical thumb for the backhoe, which will allow me to pick up long sections of trees, then elevate them for cutting. Having a machine to get them off the ground will make the task go much faster. Plus it is going to make my 63 year old back much happier! ;)

I have about 1.5 acres out back with densely packed cedars. I've been trying to chip away at it, but my progress is slow. I ordered a mechanical thumb for the backhoe, which will allow me to pick up long sections of trees, then elevate them for cutting. Having a machine to get them off the ground will make the task go much faster. Plus it is going to make my 63 year old back much happier! ;)
It's sooo much work, I know, and I was in my late 30's and early 40's when we were doing it. You need to take care of yourself. It can literally be back-breaking work, and there's a time in our lives where we need to save our backs for all the daily chores we have to do! Congrats on the MF!

Reactions: Irun
Nice purchase with the Massey! I was just helping my dad get up a bunch of fallen trees this weekend with his kioti ck30. They still had quite a bit of trees down from that winter storm in VA last month. He doesn't have a backhoe or grapple for it but wants one. Grapples are awesome for moving brush by yourself. Removing stumps is really nice with a backhoe but we usually rent one for a weekend when have all the brush cleared.

Tractors are a lot of fun, especially with a backhoe and bucket!

Congrats on the new tractor. I’m sure it will open up a world of possibilities for you.
When I got my first tractor my wife said “What do you need that for?” Every time I used it I made sure to tell her. Now I have 2 Kubotas, a L3130 and a L6060. When I told her I was planning on selling the smaller one she said I should keep it. Go figure.

I have a new holland TC30
It has been a great tractor, NEVER had a problem with it. I use the heck out of it, always starts, runs great.
I also have a Kubota excavator and that has been pretty much trouble free.
I would buy either New Holland or Kubota again.
IF you take care of them, they will last a long time trouble free

When I got my first tractor my wife said “What do you need that for?”

Pretty sure my wife has said this at least 20 times. Last time she asked, I told her I needed it because I didn't want her collecting life insurance anytime soon. The look on her face was priceless! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bucky
Pretty sure my wife has said this at least 20 times. Last time she asked, I told her I needed it because I didn't want her collecting life insurance anytime soon. The look on her face was priceless! :ROFLMAO:
I bought my wife a tractor for her birthday last year to clean her stalls and she lets me drive it whenever I want. 😁

Now that is a smart move! :ROFLMAO:
I…she went with a JD (the dealer is 4 miles away) the drive on mower deck is awesome for our pasture.
B5B0C0B8-3F57-4F2D-A264-6E1179B92B76.jpeg

Reactions: Mike_H and Irun
I…she went with a JD (the dealer is 4 miles away) the drive on mower deck is awesome for our pasture.
View attachment 313343
The 1025 was my first choice, but they couldn't get me one with a backhoe, and wouldn't give me a date when they could. Also, the local dealer was marking up small tractors. That made it a hard no for me. Massey was my second choice and the local dealer worked a fantastic deal with me, if I was willing to wait three months.

I'm definitely excited to finally have a machine to help with the work. After waiting, it will finally be delivered tomorrow! :)

Not to spend anymore of your money, but check out root rake grapples...great investment.
https://www.everythingattachments.com/55-Inch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-55-wrrg.htm
Oh yeah, some sort of grapple is really nice too. When you can use the tractor to pick up a tree trunk like a saw buck, cutting up trees is SO much easier on your back. As my dad ages, he's generally running the tractor and my brother or I are running the saw. It's an expensive add on though if you don't have the third hydraulic circuit.

For roots and stuff, we welded some steel up. We have a series of 1.5 x 1/4" steel bars welded to a u-channel that fits over the lip of the bucket. There is a bar about every 6 inches. They are tapered to a point on the free end and about three feet long. We chain it to the bucket. Drop it down to the ground and it will pull roots and what not.

Reactions: S.McArthur and Irun
View attachment 313343
The dealer is more important than the color of the tractor. Here in SoCal Kubota has the most dealers. Mine is 7 miles away although I bought my L6060 in North Dakota and saved $10k+ by doing so.

Reactions: srimes and Irun
The dealer is more important than the color of the tractor. Here in SoCal Kubota has the most dealers. Mine is 7 miles away although I bought my L6060 in North Dakota and saved $10k+ by doing so.
Amen to this. I was planning to buy one back in November from a dealer about 50 minutes away. On my way there, to pick it up, I called the guy I was talking to, and left a deposit with. He told me they just sold the tractor. I said "WTF! You mean to tell me you sold the tractor I left a deposit on?" They said yes, because we got more money for it. 🤬

I ended up raising hell with the manager, having them pay to fill my tank, and give me a $100 credit. In retrospect I'm glad they did it, because I will never buy anything from them and do everything I can to make sure others don't! 😠