Smittybilt strikes again

I've made my last post here.

Don't be upset, This post went sideways as a lot do. That is part of the culture here. Don't take it personally that you like Facebook and others don't. Mostly we have been burned or just had issues with it and giving our opinions of it. This is not a jab at you. As everything else we/you have a right to their/your opinions. It is nothing personal towards you. Maybe some disbelief that you had good luck with it because some of us haven't been so lucky.

It is just facebook man, don't leave the Jeep forum because some people don't like facebook. I will still wheel with you and trade TJ secrets in spite of your, political, sexual, and or facebook preferences. <==not a jab, just my attempt to be funny.

It's all good, don't leave, this is a valuable site, and will benefit you, and all of us if you stay.

Reactions: skrelnik
Don't be upset, This post went sideways as a lot do. That is part of the culture here. Don't take it personally that you like Facebook and others don't. Mostly we have been burned or just had issues with it and giving our opinions of it. This is not a jab at you. As everything else we/you have a right to their/your opinions. It is nothing personal towards you. Maybe some disbelief that you had good luck with it because some of us haven't been so lucky.

It is just facebook man, don't leave the Jeep forum because some people don't like facebook. I will still wheel with you and trade TJ secrets in spite of your, political, sexual, and or facebook preferences. <==not a jab, just my attempt to be funny.

It's all good, don't leave, this is a valuable site, and will benefit you, and all of us if you stay.
Maybe he just meant he's made his last post on this particular thread. @andy29847 sounds like a reasonable individual with stuff to share, and he seems to enjoy this forum quite a bit. I'm fairly confident that he wouldn't let differing opinions cheat him out of all this forum has to offer. Right, @andy29847 ? :)

I need to add that this forum is a great one. I love having TJ specific information and expert opinions. Forums are a great place to store information. I am grateful that this one can be searched. A member could also post real time here since the attachment allowance seems to be generous. Thanks to Chis and others that make this a good place to visit.
He can’t leave . Doesn’t have permission. I’m locking him in.

Last edited:
I had a facebook account for about 6 years. I only really used it to coordinate motorcycle rides with friends. I had an obvious fake name, but one day they sent me an email saying that they knew my name was not real and that if I didn't stop submitting false information they were going to close my account. Guess what? They didn't lie. They closed my account. Now my social media is gchat and this forum, and rarely I use messaging on my phone too. For me facebook is to invasive. Maybe they have to be. @Chris, I hope nobody ever gets too big to take over the internet. I don't believe facebook will. I agree that they are more like AOL, and will try and entice me to join again, like as @Jerry Bransford did by posting the video, but nothing so far has made me join with my real name. There are local companies that only do support through facebook, but I don't use those in that case.

I had a very similar issue. I deleted every single piece of information, photo, and friend from my Facebook account, changed it to a fake name, etc. I did this all so that I could run the TJ Forum Facebook page (for business purposes of course).

It was fine for a few months, but then I got a Facebook email saying that my account was going to be terminated for using a fake name for my profile. Knowing this was a possibility (I've heard of it happening to others), I changed the profile back to my real name, but I kept all the photos off there (except one of myself) and still keep it so that there are no friends, everything is private, and there is not one single interest or any other info they can use.

I was forced to do this in order to keep my business page. How crappy is that? Facebook is basically saying that you can't be part of their platform unless you give them your REAL information, otherwise they will eventually delete your profile.

What about people who don't want to share their information? That's what I like about forums and places like Reddit and others. You can post without having to give them your actual info, and therefore remain mostly anonymous. Anything you post on Facebook under your real name can always be tracked back to you.

It's just complete bullshit if you ask me. I absolutely loathe Facebook. I fucking hate, hate, hate them so much. Unfortunately I've found that in this modern day world of business, I have no choice but to keep a barebones profile, otherwise they won't let me operate my business page on there (since you can't have a business page without a personal profile page).

It blows my fucking mind that people post the things they do on Facebook and give them all the info they do... absolutely blows my mind.

Sorry... rant over!

Reactions: ac_ and skrelnik
I had a very similar issue. I deleted every single piece of information, photo, and friend from my Facebook account, changed it to a fake name, etc. I did this all so that I could run the TJ Forum Facebook page (for business purposes of course).

It was fine for a few months, but then I got a Facebook email saying that my account was going to be terminated for using a fake name for my profile. Knowing this was a possibility (I've heard of it happening to others), I changed the profile back to my real name, but I kept all the photos off there (except one of myself) and still keep it so that there are no friends, everything is private, and there is not one single interest or any other info they can use.

I was forced to do this in order to keep my business page. How crappy is that? Facebook is basically saying that you can't be part of their platform unless you give them your REAL information, otherwise they will eventually delete your profile.

What about people who don't want to share their information? That's what I like about forums and places like Reddit and others. You can post without having to give them your actual info, and therefore remain mostly anonymous. Anything you post on Facebook under your real name can always be tracked back to you.

It's just complete bullshit if you ask me. I absolutely loathe Facebook. I fucking hate, hate, hate them so much. Unfortunately I've found that in this modern day world of business, I have no choice but to keep a barebones profile, otherwise they won't let me operate my business page on there (since you can't have a business page without a personal profile page).

It blows my fucking mind that people post the things they do on Facebook and give them all the info they do... absolutely blows my mind.

Sorry... rant over!
Are you benefitting from keeping a business page up with little to no info on it?

Reactions: ac_
I'm still on facebook. I spend about 30 minutes a week trying to figure out what my wife has tagged me in now and what the home garage fabricator friend from the car club i was in that collapsed years ago is up to. He's nuts in a fun way.

Reactions: ac_
Don't be upset, This post went sideways as a lot do.

Thanks for your concern. I meant not posting on this thread. Sorry for not being more clear. My feelings haven't been hurt since 1998. I enjoy the back and forth sharing of opinions online and in person. I wouldn't have done it on this thread except that it seemed we had reached a decision on Smittybuilt. I like it here.

Reactions: Squatch and ac_
Your Forum Facebook page looks like you are selling Jeeps.

Haha, no kidding huh?

I just like to use it as a way to post cool Jeep finds and also post interesting threads that come up on the forum from time-to-time.

Well I guess we've established that my SB bumpers suck. LMAO! ;) But for a budget build. I'll hold my judgement until I get it mounted and tweaked to my street and dirt road only 4 wheeling. We'll see. I do appreciate the dissenting opinions though. I've never been afraid to go against the grain and try something new. Especially at a fourth of the price.

There's so much I don't like about Facebook. One is I don't like the format for sharing information in a group. It really doesn't lend itself to sharing photos and tutorials. And then comment and vetting on those ideas. Like a forum does. In a forum I can post so much more. And I can see post counts and things that give you more faith in whos posting the info. Some guy on facebook is alot different than some guy on a Jeep forum with over 30 thousand posts. Plus it's larger - you can see everything. And I feel like I get more knowledgeable responses on forums. Then there's the archive of so much info. Ever try to search a facebook group? It kinda sucks. And takes forever to find information. Here all or alot of that info is cataloged into How To sections or Frequently asked questions. In a facebook forum you have the first admin post to go on. And that's about it. I just don't see forums dying. It's to good of a format for sharing long term info.

But really it's my old friends and colleagues that make me hate it. I just get depressed reading every little damn thing someone does. I just don't have the time or inclination for that much socializing. And alot of it seems to be one upmanship. Look what I did!! Look what my kid did! Look what I just bought!!! It's like a competition of whos doing the best in life. Which I could care less about. Like Andy said. I stopped giving a crap way back before 1998. lol.

And I don't think alot of people stop to think who all is reading what they are writing. Some of them use it as a sort of therapy. Making every damn person on their friend list their own personal therapist. That gets old fast. And the politics and religion are a big turn off to me. I don't care what you believe. If I did I would ask you. Just like I don't care if anyone believes what I believe either. On top of that you have to keep your conservative friends away from your liberal friends away from your business friends. If my business contacts ever read half the stuff my old conservative aunt writes. They'd be appalled. Hell I'm appalled at what she writes. I used to mute her about once a month for a month at a time.

Best of all - ever since leaving. I feel better. Genuinely feel better not going on there everyday. And reading inane shit. That I could care less about or just pisses me off. I'm alot happier person not being on there. Now if I could just be on there to follow certain groups or people of note that I care about what they say. I would. But twitter works better for following people that you care about what they say. Or the news. Groups its still a forum game imho.

I still use messenger though. As on Android. It's the best way to keep in touch with relatives. The people that really matter in my life. I don't have time to call them all anywhere as frequently as I would like. But a short text in a msg to a group of them goes a long ways. You can have short conversations. That aren't on a time limit. And you can get to them when you can. And the video chat is amazing.

My son keeps telling me that facetime is way better. But all I need is good video and audio and I'm happy. And that happens most of the time. To be able to talk to my mother on video chat in another state is amazing. Except I think we are losing a part of our culture. We used to write letters or at least emails. And those you could keep. And go back and read them later on in life. I'm wishing I was recording all of these video conversations I have with my relatives. Some of them are just gems of information about our family. Or just show the character of someone you love. I'd love to have shared a first video between my mother and her 5 yr old grandson. What a treasure.

I regret having dared to start a thread pointing to a video about a bumper that happened to be on FB.

@Chris if it was up to me I'd delete my initial post and lock or (better) delete this thread.

Reactions: Daryl and ac_
This thread may end up being the "textbook example of thread derailing" we will use at the next new member training session .

Almost like the soccer match that set off the Nicaragua/El Salvador conflict years ago.

Reactions: glwood